• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vintage Martin Committee Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpet has not been used since High School days(1959). I feel like I need to do something with it ( sell it , keep it for grandchildren or even try playing again - never was very good- 2nd trumpet in band).

If I sell it, how do I determine a price.
SN is 188893 (according to G Leblanc Corp. it was mfg. in 1948).
Most of the lacquer is off. Only a few small dings. Mouth piece is a Martin 10.
Bore?
Valves seem to move great.

If I keep, should I refurbish it or just give it a good cleaning. Has it been damaged due to lack of maintenance?

As you can see, I not sure what I am going to do.

Any suggestions?
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not worth much, but I'll take it off you hands for $100.00.

Just kidding, I'd say refurbish it and reclaim your youth and the joy of playing again; what an inspiration youd be to the grandchildren.

Boy, grandpa' sure plays a mean horn

I hear stories of my grandfather playing the trumpet, and I wish I could have heard him just once; even if he wasnt that good. Seeing him play would have been priceless.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-19 19:30 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to sell the horn, here's some information that may help you set a price:

I just sold a 1958 Martin Committee with .453 bore for $1,225 on eBay. I had stripped the lacquer and put about $200 into it including a precision valve alignment and an ultrasound cleaning.

I included the original case, which was in excellent condition, and a Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece, which is shaped much like the Heim piece Miles played.

If you decide to sell your horn on eBay, you may want to search for "Martin Committee Trumpet," then click on the "Completed Items" button on the left side of the screen and you'll see the prices for recent Committees.

Good luck!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.

Think I am going to remove the lacquer plus a cleaning and go from there.
jup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very similar to the question that I have.

I've just been handed a Martin Committee model trumpet, Serial Number 162699, by a friend who wanted to sell it on E-Bay for $40.

The trumpet itself appears to have been restored, as it looks like it's in near mint condition. Everything else (two mouth pieces, various parts and case) have seen some far, far better days. But, I believe the case is original.

Gathering from what I've been reading in some of the threads, this instrument was made in 1948 and is a #2 bore. I have no idea as to it's history. Nor, what kind of restoration servicing that it has had. (Though, I'm sure it didn't cost a mere $40.)

I'm trying to gather what the general value is and where a good place to sell it at would be. (E-Bay is questionable. Though, my account is good for it.) It sounds like it is easily valued at over a $1,000. (Which will make my client very happy to hear.) I can try to supply a photo, if it would help.

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an fyi:

Q: Who was on the committee that designed the Martin Committee?

The Martin Committee, a trumpet with an unusual name, earned its name but being designed by a committee. It went on to dominate the jazz trumpet market from the late 1940s until the mid 1960s or so. Committes were played by Miles Davis throughout his career, as well as Chet Baker, Dizzy Gillespie, Maynard Ferguson, and even Al Hirt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:

The committee was:

1. Renold Schilke (who always claimed the horn was designed by a committe of one, him)

2. Vincient Bach

3. Eldon Benge (Schilke built the early Chicago Benge horns in Schilke's garage with Eldon, they were neighbors and Schilke had the machine tool experience)

4. Foster Reynolds (later he designed the Olds Mendez with Rafael)

5. A local player, presumably from the Chicago Symphony, since all these guys had strong ties to the symphony,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|| The Trumpet Gearhead ||
dave_pepin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly different thread, I have heard all those older guys using the Committee, but are they really worth $1200 now, and are the new ones on the same level (sound and quality)?
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both the older committees and a newer committee. The sound quality achieved on the older committees is much better than the new one that I played, IMO. The new Martin slotted better, however.

I think that the older trumpets really are worth $800 to $1200, but there is a greater chance that more work will need to be done to the trumpet.

-Atom
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, I haven't had the chance to try a Committee yet, but how does it compare to an Olds Ambassador?

And I understand this thread has been inactive for over 13 years, but this info is wonderful! I'm glad I stumbled upon it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: