• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 18B4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert McNair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Schilke 18B4 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this mouthpiece? I'm currently playing on a Schilke 18 and love the tone/volume I can get out of it for concert band, but it can get tiring playing 1st/lead in jazz band. Smaller mouthpieces just feel too small so I don't think I want to try a smaller rim size. I am a high school student BTW, and there aren't any local shops that I know of that have a lot of mouthpieces I could just try out.

If anyone has been in a similar situation I could use some help. Would it be worth it to invest in the 18B4 since I like the Schilke 18 rim, or should I seek a different type?

Thanks,

Robert
thadjones1213
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pickettbrass.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=28

On this chart it looks like you are working with Warburton 1 series tops that could give you the desired depth to help you out for jazz band/lead.
thadjones1213
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also have Pickett Brass make you one with that rim size "custom" but then one of their 'S' cups or something for lead.
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Different approaches Reply with quote

Robert,

First off, this is a great discussion to have with your private instructor, as they know your chops better than any of us Internet goofballs. That said, while I favor a fairly large mouthpiece for lead playing (a Warburton 5M), I think the Schilke 18 series is larger than necessary for commercial purposes.

If you're talking about dedicated lead playing in a commercial or big band setting, using too big of a mouthpiece will cost you in stamina and force you to work too hard to get the compression you need in order to get the projection you'll need. I don't think the 18B4 is enough of a difference to positively impact endurance more than a bit.

The mouthpiece safari we all go on is often a search for what tradeoffs work for your particular chops. Can you, with some time in the driver's seat, get the same concert band sound on a schilke 15? If so, a Schilke 15B4 is a good medium sized commercial piece that is a great match to the 15.

I started on a Conn 4 in 4th grade. I found a Bach 1 at the local music store and didn't realize I had found a bathtub! I used it until 9th grade, and when I went to a more moderate size (Giardinelli 7M, roughly equivalent to a Warburton 4 or 5M) I already had my target Bach 1 sound in my head. I hope you have the same kind of results, and best of luck!

I'm told that when you've filled an Igloo cooler with discarded mouthpieces, you qualify for an official mouthpiece safari hat

Bill
Christina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go slightly smaller and shallower and learn to play it!!!
Robert McNair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links thadjones, I will definitely look at that site when I have time.

Bill, I have a Yamaha 16C4-GP that came with my Xeno. I can get roughly an equal sound on it but I haven't used it recently. I just now practiced on it to try it out again and I think I like it, tone's not too different. It doesn't feel too bad, either. I'll ask my teacher what he thinks. Thanks for the advice! I'll see where I can go from here after working with this a bit.

Last edited by Robert McNair on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina wrote:
Go slightly smaller and shallower and learn to play it!!!

+1
Martin Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke 18B4 Reply with quote

I would try a Curry 3C. for all playing or at least for the jazz band.

Robert McNair wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with this mouthpiece? I'm currently playing on a Schilke 18 and love the tone/volume I can get out of it for concert band, but it can get tiring playing 1st/lead in jazz band. Smaller mouthpieces just feel too small so I don't think I want to try a smaller rim size. I am a high school student BTW, and there aren't any local shops that I know of that have a lot of mouthpieces I could just try out.

If anyone has been in a similar situation I could use some help. Would it be worth it to invest in the 18B4 since I like the Schilke 18 rim, or should I seek a different type?

Thanks,

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: