• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke A1 and Bach 181 Ml/37 cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Schilke A1 and Bach 181 Ml/37 cornet Reply with quote

Think i have the Bach model # right? These are 2 long model cornets that seem to be the only "long model" professional cornets in production, although I see a Kanst. Long model cornet that many ppl I've spoken to say is ever bit of a pro instrument. I have a wonderful Yam. "Brit." cornet and formerly had a LB 921. The 921 was far to big and had a low register which simply did not "speak" and which I was warned by some Brit. players that this 921 low-register issue was one that many ppl came upon. i simply gave the 921 to a friend who really loved it. of course he always tells me i can have it back anytime as he is aware of the value.

My question, even though I've played the A1 and ML/37 long cornets years ago, I've forgotten them. I do remeber the A1 was gold plated and had a modified Shep. crook.

I am wondering if anyone has A/Bd then recently or owns either one as my only long model cornets are a recent Bach 300 (good horn for a student inst. but very tight) and a Bach Mercedes II from the late 60s which has a 43 bell and with a Strad. VB signature on it. This last mentioned horn is quite good but suffers from a dent on the second valve slide that no repair-person I've come across can seem to totally fix it and it does "play" with the resistance. I've had some good success on it with a Wick 3B and a Curry 5DC/VC mpc(s.) But now i only play mpcs. in the VB 10.5 realm and have yet to receive these two cornets from a different location where I've had them stored.

Any thoughts on either the Bach, Schilke or Kanst. long model would be very helpful. Thank you.
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget Wild Thing long cornet , very respectable horn specialy betwen jazz cornet players.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Dont forget Wild Thing long cornet , very respectable horn specialy betwen jazz cornet players.

Regards

Thank you for your note. I'm familiar with the flip Oaks, by way of Kanstul, products. I'm really interested only in the two horns I mentioned. The only other long cornet I might consider would be the one made by Andy Taylor although I've never played it. But if it anything like the trumpets he makes for the EURO trpt. population, I'm sure it is a winner. And I've played numerous Taylor trumpets, as well as from the guy in the States who copies his product at prices that are by far beyond the worth of the product. But I do thank you for your reply.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played numerous Bach Strad long cornets over the years and I seem to like the large bore ones better. I almost bought a new demo one back in the late 80's, but we couldn't agree on a price. They've all been good, though. The only Schilke cornet I've ever played is an XA1, and that was a brief tryout at last year's ITG. That's about all I have to say about that, as Forrest Gump said.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: A1 and Bach 181 Reply with quote

Hello cornet74,
I have owned an A1 and have played the Bach. The Bach's sound is less trumpet like and the Schilke has a more cornet sound. I know that sounds odd and it is only an opinion. I believe that the Schilke is more mouthpiece sensitive also. You can get it much more trumpet like or you can go with a deeper/funnel cup to get a dark cornet sound, than you can with the Bach. I switched to an XA1 for brass band work and have preferred the sound and the look of the short model. I believe the XA1 has the copper brass bell and the A1 has the yellow brass bell. That is the source of the tonal differences.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornet74 wrote:
giakara wrote:

Regards

Thank you for your note. I'm familiar with the flip Oaks, by way of Kanstul, products. I'm really interested only in the two horns I mentioned. The only other long cornet I might consider would be the one made by Andy Taylor although I've never played it. But if it anything like the trumpets he makes for the EURO trpt. population, I'm sure it is a winner. And I've played numerous Taylor trumpets, as well as from the guy in the States who copies his product at prices that are by far beyond the worth of the product. But I do thank you for your reply.

I have the chance to play a Taylor long cornet and i was very imperesed , the sound was the thiker/fater cornet sound i ever heard , i dont have any expiriance with Schilke but i have plqy in the past a strad 25 cornet and it was a nice -middle of the road- cornet not to dark but for sure to my ears sounds darker against a similar 37 Bb i had for comparison , for sure not very flexible cornet (as all the Bach horns) but it was a nice horn.

Regrds
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to thank giakara, Dale Proctor and Christain K. Peters for their informative and insightful posts. A lot of good information. I'll see what info I can dig up about trying some of these horns. Unfortunately, its not like the good old days where being able to hop out to any number of music stores and try all of these horns is an option anymore--and even where I live which some consider to be the center of the world for music.

I don't think that anywhere is the center of the world for music (or anything else) these days. The center of the world is what you make of your locale.

Thank you again, all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: