• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much do dents in the main tube affect playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: How much do dents in the main tube affect playing? Reply with quote

I mentioned that I got my original 1958 Conn Director 14A cleaned/reconditioned so that I can play it again. It has a dark, full tone that some of the newer cornets don't seem to have (they're brighter, more brassy than this cornet), so I really like how it sounds.

However, there are a couple of small dents in the main tube in the first bend where it comes back from the bell. It looks like the horn may have been set down a ltitle too hard at one point in its life, flattening the back of that first curve just a little bit.

My question: would getting those dents removed make any improvement in how easily the horns blows, or make any difference in the tone?

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A

Last edited by rhatheway on Fri May 03, 2024 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe - maybe not - why not play it for a few months and see if you find any short comings in intonation. If you are happy with the way it plays - just leave them until you have accumulated a few more.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pictures?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 70's when I was an undergraduate student with too many hours and too many interests, there was a tall gangly (the guy rode around on and old English racing bike with one of those high rise banana seats, never had to chain it cause no one else could manage to get up on it) doctoral candidate in advanced mathematics that played an old tuba that allegedly had been recovered from a flood down on the Pecos River. We called him "Weird Arnold", which he accepted with a wry grin.

As someone noted recently in a speech, "Not a joke. This is the truth!"

Anyway, one spring afternoon, I was in the band hall, and Arnold was seated in front of the Strobo-Conn tuner with his tuba, a slide rule, a paper tablet, a tape measure, and a fairly sizable rubber mallet.

After 30 minutes or so of playing notes, sliding his slide rule back and forth, measuring the tuba bell section, interspersed with bouts of rubbing his chin, he measured down the side of the bell, and gave the tuba a whack with the mallet, and proceeded to test his results on the Strobo-Conn.

I asked him what it was all about. He explained there was on overtone of a particular note that he was never able to get in tune. By making a not really very big dent, he suppressed that harmonic.

He actually was a pretty good player, burdened with what we call "perfect pitch", and that mathematical perception. I guess I would have to admit that it did sound better.

Having said all that, the description of your Horn's "owee" should not intrude enough to induce turbulence or metal stress at that point, which is what Weird Arnold had done.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
If you are happy with the way it plays - just leave them until you have accumulated a few more.

Accumulated a few more? Dents or horns?

Trying not to accumulate the first, but already working on the latter.

1958 Conn Director 14A
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do dents in the main tube affect playing? Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
... flattening the back of that first curve just a little bit.

My question: would getting those dents removed make any improvement in how easily the horns blows, or make any difference in the tone?

------------------------
Probably not.
I think there is some sort of 'general guideline' that unless the dent reduces the tubing area by more than about 1/3, the dent is likely to NOT have much effect.

But IF there are some notes that are noticeably poor, it might be a consideration - AFTER you've verified that there aren't more serious problems such as valve alignment, leaking water valves, pin-hole leaks in tubing, etc.

As a 1-off example, my primary instrument is French horn, and about 1 1/2 years ago it took a bad fall from chair onto asphalt - largish ugly dents in the bell tube about 1 foot back from the bell flare (most likely place for dents on horns).
I've slowly been 'massaging' and using a rolled-up towel in the tubing to raise the dents - they are about 90% raised now. Those dents didn't seem to cause a noticeable problem when it happened, and I haven't noticed that removing them has make any difference either.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the general concensus is that since these are not major dents, they probably don't impact anything. I don't notice any intonation issues, plus there's no leaking spit valve corks, no pinhole leaks (there was one on the leadpipe decades ago, but my parents had that fixed when I was still a kid), and the horn has a great sound.

So that's just one of those cosmetic issues that maybe someday I'll get around to getting fixed. Or maybe not, they're part of the horn's history after all...

1958 Conn Director 14A
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do dents in the main tube affect playing? Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I think there is some sort of 'general guideline' that unless the dent reduces the tubing area by more than about 1/3, the dent is likely to NOT have much effect.

Another thing I've been told that the closer to the player, the higher chance the dents affect the sound in some way. I.e. dents in the leadpipe are something to worry about, dents in the bell branch generally are fine.

But I agree that unless they bother you in some way, soundwise or visually, the dents are probably fine to be left as they are. One of the first people I played with back as a kid played a cornet that 'got stuck between the kitchen door' as he used to say. The guy was generally known for having a very beautiful sound. Similarly, I've got an old beat up Buescher cornet here at home with a visually distorted bell. The loose leadpipe brace affects the sound noticeably (rattling and some slotting/tonal issues) but if held pressed, the cornet sounds very nice, so it doesn't appear like the bell damage affects the sound.

Then again, a skilled tech could probably take out those dents quickly and easily enough so if they bother you in some way, it's probably not a big deal to have them removed.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a recent dent in one of my trumpets in the bell tubing around the first valve. I absolutely cannot discern any difference in sound, intonation, blow....I might not say the same thing if a dent of the same size was in my leadpipe or main tuning slide.

Dents are often quick, easy and inexpensive for a repair technician to remove, so I'll have this one fixed eventually, but I'm in no rush given that I cannot perceive any changes resulting from the dent.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the closer to the mouthpiece end of the trumpet, the more a dent has an affect on the play of the instrument. Size and location matter.
I try to imagine how the particular dent would affect the water flow (an easier visual for me) How much turbulence is it creating and how much that turbulence is continuing through the instrument. But whereas we fret about valve alignments (measuring to the thousandths of an inch), mouthpiece gap, how tight tubing bends are, placement of spit valves.. I'd say dents do matter.

As mentioned by another, an easy inexpensive repair.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we need to consider how skilled the player is and how this will impact his perception of his horn. I see many amateur musicians playing horns with dents and other flaws that they seem to have no concerns about. On the other hand, many of the players that post in these forums seem to be able to detect the impact of very small changes, such as the valve alignment, mouthpiece gap and others as mentioned in the previous post. I will admit that, as a serious amateur, I can detect changes that cause me to favor one horn over another but fail to be able to detect changes caused by, for example, valve cap weight, mouthpiece weight or how tightly the water valve screw is tightened. If I am to believe the many reports that these things matter I have to admit that I am not sensitive enough to detect them.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly, I have the 1965 15A of that same legacy line. Like you said, less brassy in that era.

I worry a lot about dents in the lead pipe and anywhere BEFORE or near the valves.

Small denta after the valves, such as along the bell pipe, I worry almost none.

I think of it like a factory conveyor belt. Closer to the end is the fully formed sound?

OTOH, big or pinchy dents worry me.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Since it's on the bell side and not the leadpipe side, that's probably why I don't hear any difference, so I may get them fixed at some point, but probably not until after this concert season is over.

1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: