• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lower Pitched Trumpets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithosphere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

I've been wondering how much use lower pitched trumpets actually get in today's world?

Since I'm a tuba player, I can understand having a BBb or CC and a higher pitched F or Eb, or doubling on bass trombone or baritone/euphonium/bass trumpet. The issue I'm running into currently is trying to figure out how bass trumpets or lower pitched trumpets can be used on a more regular basis.

Is there music written for trumpet ensemble that include bass trumpets or tenor/alto/contra-alto trumpets?

Is there any particular reason that more players don't have a lower pitched trumpet?

And while I'm at it, given that I'm a tuba player, is Lars Gerdt the shop that makes a contrabass? Is there even a market, no matter how small, for a contrabass trumpet?

The reason I ask is that my bass trumpet would be better converted to a tenor or alto and I've been eyeing a contrabass in Eb (same length as Eb tuba).
christophac7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know for the National Trumpet Competition, no horns are allowed to be pitched lower than modern Bb (A=440 or whatever it is now). But in my past orchestra concert I had two Berlioz pieces (From 'Damnation of the Faust') that had the original parts for Cornet in A, which I was able to play on my Cornet, which slides into A. Also, my understanding (after talking with trombone players).
The bass trumpet, etc. are usually played by Trombone players, who would much rather play trombone

So to sum up: Not much if it all, except in older music.
Picc: Carol Brass 7770
Cornet: Buescher Model 266 Custom
Flugel: CFL-6200-GSS-SLB
TorpedoBags® Student Artist
shmo_joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

Some Older trumpets have LP (Low pitch) letters stamped on the lead pipe.

I think these are similar to current Bd trumpets

Mithosphere wrote:
I've been wondering how much use lower pitched trumpets actually get in today's world?
Mithosphere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

shmo_joe wrote:

Mithosphere wrote:

Not low pitch (A=435 or 420, right?), but a lower pitched trumpet below Bb or C, like the F alto.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

Mithosphere wrote:
Not low pitch (A=435 or 420, right?), but a lower pitched trumpet below Bb or C, like the F alto.

In the context of "modern" brasswinds, low pitch is modern pitch: A440. There were even lower pitch standards, and modern Baroque players have sort of settled on A415 -- but Baroque pitch standards don't have much to do with the brass instruments we play daily.

To return to your original question, I have an F contralto trumpet... just because. The only times I've used it have been when I wrote the part myself, and I never expect to encounter a situation where I really need it.
shmo_joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

There is a bass trumpet,
it looks like a valve trombone in trumpet wrap

Mithosphere wrote:
shmo_joe wrote:

Mithosphere wrote:

Mithosphere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

shmo_joe wrote:
There is a bass trumpet,

Hmm.....

Quote:
currently is trying to figure out how bass trumpets or lower pitched trumpets can be
shmo_joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

Bass trumpets

http://www.wwbw.com/Bass-Trumpets-Trumpets.wwbw

Mithosphere wrote:
shmo_joe wrote:
There is a bass trumpet,

Hmm.....

Quote:
currently is trying to figure out how bass trumpets or lower pitched trumpets can be
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

Mithosphere wrote:

Mithosphere wrote:
The issue I'm running into currently is trying to figure out how bass trumpets or lower pitched trumpets can be used on a more regular basis.

Well, they really aren't. Bass trumpets are rare and (as others have said) are usually played by low brass players - Euphonium/Trombone players, etc. Although, I as a trumpet player also play trombone and euphonium (to a degree) it's less common among trumpet players to play other instruments than it is in the low brass or woodwinds or strings. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be.

As far as lower pitched trumpets, there were F trumpets used in orchestra in the late classical and romantic periods. Before valves, they were natural trumpets with crooks, but there were also valved F trumpets later. You do see parts in Sibelius and Mahler for "Tromba in F" - which carried over from this instrument.

However, by the latter part of the 19th Century, the F trumpet had given way to the Bb for various reasons, the primary being it was easier to play orchestral parts on it. While Mahler and Sibelius may have had sections for "Tromba in F" it's more less likely an actual F trumpet was used for these. Further developments in Bb design by Besson in France made the Bb even more popular. The F trumpet became a relic of the past - sitting in musical instrument museums. A few are still made, but they're extremely rare. I wouldn't even know of such a thing except there was a thread here on TH about one.

Since about the 1940-50's most of the orchestral world has taken to using C trumpets, primarily - with the higher pitched trumpets supplementing it. Some players use 4-valved Eb trumpets a fair amount, now. The trend is toward higher pitched trumpets, rather than back toward lower ones.

I don't think low pitched trumpets are going to make a comeback. Good luck, though...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagners 3rd trumpet parts are meant to be played on the F-trumpet (2:nd on Bb, and 1:st on Bb or C).

Wagners Bass trumpet (listen to the part in the Walkurie!), was actually an instrument pitched in Eb, just one whole step down from the F-trumpet.

Today, tromboneplayers seem to regard those parts as their "territory", playing them on a bass trumpet in Bb, wich makes the part a real feat to play- it is really high in the instruments tessitura at times!

When this is mentioned to trombonists, they gather in a ring, and starts a mumbling converstion frequently looking over their shoulders....

At the moment, we“re doing Tristan, and I play 3:rd trumpet and "tristan-trompete":

The F-trumpet really ads colour to the brass section, since it has almost the same bore as a normal rotary Bb but is that much longer, it becomes somewhat brassy and natural trumpet-like when played mf and upwards.

The 3:rd part is somewhat of a link between the trumpets and trombones, sometimes acting as 1st trombone, sometimes 3:rd trumpet and sometimes alone.

The part CAN be played on a Bb, so the F-trumpet is not there for range-reasons, but rather timbre dito.

After the initial shock with all the transpositions beeing completely different, I really enjoy playing it!

The wooden trumpet is a different story....
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

Mithosphere wrote:
Is there music written for trumpet ensemble that include bass trumpets or tenor/alto/contra-alto trumpets?

Here are the only examples I'm aware of:

http://www.bflatmusic.com/tptens.html

All call for bass trumpet. No alto or contra-alto parts, though "WALKURENRITT" specifically calls for one four-valve flugelhorn (in addition to three other flugels), suggesting that the four-valve part descends into alto range.
jcathey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

[quote="Mithosphere"]Is there any particular reason that more players don't have a lower pitched trumpet?[/quote]

Hel-[i]lo[/i], we're talking about [i]trumpet[/i] players here! Screech alto trumpet, anyone? :-)

Though I believe that playing original orchestral F/Eb (low) trumpet, or natural trumpet, [i]is[/i] playing a bit screech-ey, when compared to today's Bb axe. That said, I think a well-balanced trumpet choir could sound [i]very[/i] nice, if they tried and had some suitable music. Of the traditional SATB components we're already pretty well covered, in that Bb horns are readily available in three octaves, and the upper Eb horn is readily available. The lower Eb is not so much, but there are a few out there, and there's an obvious sad hole at the BBb level. All that exists, to my knowledge, is the contrabass flugelhorn (aka tuba). Or can a cimbasso be considered a BBb trumpet?

OTOH, nothing wrong with the traditional brass quintet, either. They sound pretty good.

I am myself trying to assemble a range of trumpets, as that does interest me and it's certainly easier than actually practicing my horn!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The romantic repertoire is full of low E/Eb/F trumpet parts. Often the notes are too low for a Bb trumpet. You get rotary Eb trumpets in Europe for use in marching bands, but these are larger bore than the ones used in the 19th century. It costs serious money to buy a proper F orchestral trumpet. Thein make one I think. Occasionally restored original ones come up for sale. It might make more sense to have a 4 valve Bb trumpet, although the weight would be hard to handle.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thein is the only company that comes to mind as having an F trumpet available...can anyone out there think of ANYONE else, whose pricing is a little more affordable?
Mithosphere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
The romantic repertoire is full of low E/Eb/F trumpet parts. Often the notes are too low for a Bb trumpet. You get rotary Eb trumpets in Europe for use in marching bands, but these are larger bore than the ones used in the 19th century. It costs serious money to buy a proper F orchestral trumpet. Thein make one I think. Occasionally restored original ones come up for sale. It might make more sense to have a 4 valve Bb trumpet, although the weight would be hard to handle.

Aren't most modern instruments 'larger' than their 19th century counterparts? Surely a modern low Eb/F trumpet would have a larger bore/body to compete with the modern orchestra or other modern instruments.

I ran out of solder and flux - conveniently at the same time... - but once my account is activated with Allied, I'll finally be able to start the contrabass and more work on the low Eb/F trumpet
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Lower Pitched Trumpets Reply with quote

Not much difference between a Drum & Bugle Soprano and a 'G' trumpet.

G.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, it should be clear that the term "low pitch" trumpet almost always refers to "normal" trumpet optimized to play some fraction below A=440. A better term to avoid confusion might be "low key" trumpet.

I've played in an ensemble including a bass trumpet but I can't recall the work.

Here's a source for a couple of inexpensive bass trumpets.
http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/category/brass-2/trumpets/bass-trumpet/
How about a Flugabone?
http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/flugabone/

Here's a good thread about literature for trumpet in F and related subjects.
http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f132/contr-alto-trumpet-f-38943.html
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
A_Ason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gerdt.se/EN/instruments-Contra_Bass_Trumpets.aspx
Mithosphere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A_Ason wrote:
http://gerdt.se/EN/instruments-Contra_Bass_Trumpets.aspx

Yes, I've already seen Lars Gerdt.
pitchlevel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The US Army Herald Trumpets use a variety of pitched trumpets. This is from their website-

The ensemble is comprised of 14 trumpeters and two drummers. Timpani and cymbals may be added for special occasions or performances. Four different types of trumpets combine to create a family encompassing the full range of musical voices. They include the E-flat soprano, B-flat mezzo-soprano or melody, B-flat tenor, and Bb or G bass trumpets. Trumpet players play the Eb soprano and Bb melody trumpets while the tenor trumpets are played by trombone players. Euphonium players play the bass trumpets.
Music for the ensemble is scored for seven parts, plus percussion. Traditionally, each part is doubled, creating a double family. The seven parts consist of Eb soprano, 1st Bb melody, 2nd Bb melody, 3rd Bb melody, 1st C tenor, 2nd C tenor and G (or Bb) bass. The tenor parts are written in C although the tenor trumpets are pitched in Bb. As a group, the Herald Trumpets produce a more brilliant, strident sound than traditional trumpets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: