• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tired of my Bach 3C and it sharp edge.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b4il3ytrpt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Tired of my Bach 3C and it sharp edge. Reply with quote

Any suggestions on different brands that are comparable to a 3C (for my legit playing) but with a more comfortable rim? Or maybe even something that will help out in the higher range for playing 1st parts in my community band? Thanks in advance! Should've started getting on Trumpet Herald a long time ago since I've been playing from age 10
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke 14B

Check the 3C against the 14B here:

http://www.kanstul.com/mpcJN/Compare/CompareJRFF1.html
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
b4il3ytrpt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much I'll check it out!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from a Bach 3C to a Curry 3C. a couple months ago and I really like it. To me, it plays a little better than the Bach and is more comfortable. If you find that you like his 3C., or want to go slightly more shallow from the start for an easier upper register, he makes other mouthpieces with the same rim in varying depths, both deeper and more shallow.
b4il3ytrpt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dale! I just wish we had a shop down here in the hills of SW Virginia where I could sit and try a few things. Nearest place I could go where someone would actually have a "kit" would be Knoxville TN or Roanoke VA. I'll definitely give the Curry and the Schilke 14B both a shot if I can get a hold of either one. Thanks again!
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b4il3ytrpt wrote:
Thanks Dale! I just wish we had a shop down here in the hills of SW Virginia where I could sit and try a few things. Nearest place I could go where someone would actually have a "kit" would be Knoxville TN or Roanoke VA. I'll definitely give the Curry and the Schilke 14B both a shot if I can get a hold of either one. Thanks again!

I believe Mouthpiece Express is in Roanoke but I don't know if you can go there to try mouthpieces.

Kent
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
I believe Mouthpiece Express is in Roanoke but I don't know if you can go there to try mouthpieces.

Kent

Mouthpiece Express is associated with a brick-and-mortar store in Roanoke, Star City Music (www.starcitymusic.com). Give them a call.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tired of my Bach 3C and it sharp edge. Reply with quote

b4il3ytrpt wrote:
Any suggestions on different brands that are comparable to a 3C (for my legit playing) but with a more comfortable rim? Or maybe even something that will help out in the higher range for playing 1st parts in my community band? Thanks in advance! Should've started getting on Trumpet Herald a long time ago since I've been playing from age 10

A surprising choice could be a Blessing 3C. It is high quality (made by Warburton, I believe), economical, and more comfortable for me than a Bach 3C, though I play and appreciate both.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3Dor 3DE, maybe a smaller variety, if you want to stick close to your current mpc but with a more comfortable rim. I use a Curry 3C for most stuff and 7DE for lead work. I have a Schilke 14B that also gets a lot of use and was my main lead piece for years, but the past few I have found I like the Curry better. The 14B has a rounder but thinner rim and feels a little bigger than a 3C; it is shallower so works better for high notes but I like keeping rims at least somewhat close, especially when I may switch during a concert or gig to make it easier to get the sound I want.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton 4M top with a 7 or 7* backbore. Kanstul mouthpiece comparator shows it very similar to Bach 3C, but has a more comfortable rim. Works for me.

You might also try the 4MC, which is similar to a Schilke 14--a little more bowl-shaped than the 3C. I've found the 8 backbore works better with the 4MC than the 7*, but I can play any style on the 4M/7*setup and not be embarrassed.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces

Last edited by spitvalve on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
jimpops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check out the GR mouthpieces. I use a 3MX. The 64's I believe are also comprable to a 3C.
Courtois 102 Arban cornet
couesenon flugelhorn
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickett 3 rim is nice and soft on the lips, but a bit narrower than the Bach 3.

Reeves 3C is nice, but a bit wider than the Bach 3.

GR 3M is great, vey nice rim, although it is wider than a Bach 3.

Hammond 5 rim is great.
biltrpt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shew jazz - close to 3c, softer bite, smidge shallower, great sound

Others are good choices - Schilke 14B, Curry also good

I feel the same way you do about the 3C cup. all the above pieces helped me with the problem you described, especially the Schilke 14B and Shew jazz.

As far as Gr, excellent mouthpieces but very expensive. And, I think the 65 is closer to a 3C. I have a 65MS. It may even be a bit smaller than a 3C.

Another fun option is the Kelly Shew jazz. Good to have around for those cold or hot gigs outside. Cool tone too.

Just my two cents worth.....good luck.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Warburton 4M top with a 7 or 7* backbore. Kanstul mouthpiece comparator shows it very similar to Bach 3C, but has a more comfortable rim. Works for me.

You might also try the 4MC, which is similar to a Schilke 14--a little more bowl-shaped than the 3C. I've found the 8 backbore works better with the 4MC than the 7*, but I can play any style on the 4M/7*setup and not be embarrassed.

I was going to post this.

I switched from a 3C to a 4M/8*.

I also use a 4MD top (it's deeper than the 4M) when I play sofer/more mellow things.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be expensive, but a Bob Reeves 43C will most likely give you everything you're seeking. Its rim is very comfortable, it's high notes are noticeably easier than a 3C's and it'll give you a warmer (slightly darker) sound in the low and mid ranges.

I suggest you start doing eBay searches until you find one. That way you can buy one for a great price and then sell it if you don't like it for what you paid for it.

That's what I did 11 years ago - except I never sold it and instead bought a few more new.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out the new Reeves 3C Classical piece. very comfortable rim and great sound.
Dustin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpops wrote:
You could check out the GR mouthpieces. I use a 3MX. The 64's I believe are also comprable to a 3C.

Actually it's the 66 rim. The 66M or 66MX will be good for 3C players. I just got a 66M and LOVE it.
MTBDude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
It would be expensive, but a Bob Reeves 43C will most likely give you everything you're seeking. Its rim is very comfortable, it's high notes are noticeably easier than a 3C's and it'll give you a warmer (slightly darker) sound in the low and mid ranges.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

I agree with John. I too had an issue with Bach's rims, and since switching to Reeves, all my qualms are gone. Bob's rims are the best that I have used and among the most comfortable. A 43C is an excellent piece and I use it for "legit playing." Plus, with the screw rim, you can change cup or backbore without changing rims.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3C.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap option would be to try the standard Yamaha pieces. Depending on your vintage of Bach 3C you could try the the Yamaha 14B4 (on the smaller side) up to a 16B4 (on the larger side). I find these more comfortable than many Bachs but not so different that it messes up my playing. For the record I really like the smaller vintage Bach 3C rim (similar to the Yamaha 14B4) and can't take the other vintages that for me feel both larger and sharper.

My opinion of the Reeves options is that the 43-size feels like a larger vintage Bach 3C vintage (too large for me) and the 42 feels much smaller (too small for me). I also find his rim wider which my chops don't like.

In my limited experience the Schilkes A4 and B4-series (14A4a and 14B4) pieces have rims that are too soft and the lack of sufficient bite kills my endurance.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: