• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

...for sentimental reasons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: ...for sentimental reasons Reply with quote

Sometimes it's not the money or the bling or even the sound, but it's ...for sentimental reasons. What's your story?

Mine is an early Fullerton Ambassador trumpet. So much better than the rental I had. It was easy to play and easy to feel the quality. It was from my grandfather. We'd seen it at a flea market up near Brattleboro, VT.

That sunny day we left it there on the table at the edge of the tent. We went and got an ice cream. He knew the director of the flea, and later that day or week called in a favor.

I gave it to a kid in my high school who deserved a better horn. When I went looking for it I learned that he, upon his graduation, had done the same. Pay it forward, sure, tho for sentimental reasons, I'd like to play that Olds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qT8Ju3h94w
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine would be the Conn cornet, built around 1920, that I started on as a beginner in fifth grade. It had belonged to my grandfather, and my uncle had played it, as well as my cousin, my mother, and my aunt. It looks as though I am in line to inherit it eventually, that will be one horn I will never sell!

Brad361
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pro horn... an MF model holton with a .460 bore. Great feeling horn... I sucked on it. Never could play it in tune very well for some reason. Maynard autographed the case for me. Going to clean it up and give it to my brother when I feel like he can take care of it. Going to keep the case lol.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
shmo_joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ...for sentimental reasons Reply with quote

I regret selling:

Bach sterling silver plus
vintage conn 28B
vintage conn 38B
Holton revelation
LeBlanc Blue martin committee with engraving Large bore, with gold trim
silver vintage martin committee medium bore
brass vintage martin committee medium bore
conn vintage one sterling silver

connicalman wrote:
Sometimes it's not the money or the bling or even the sound, but it's ...for sentimental reasons. What's your story?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couesnon Lafayette -- it had been my father's horn when he was in high school. He get it refurbished when my parents realized I was actually interested in band.

~5 years later ... I got a Bach Strad. The Lafayette was relegated to marching band, and stayed behind when I went to college. My parents ultimately gave it to a neighbor's kid while they were living in Falls Church, VA.

~20 years after that, I really wished I still had that horn ... eBay to the rescue! Won an auction for a Couesnon Lafayette from a guy in Colorado (I think). When I opened the shipping box I was stunned.

The case -- not original -- looked exactly like I'd remembered the case from decades ago, down to the scuffs. The horn had a couple of dings that looked exactly like I remembered from decades ago.

Could it be ... ?

Odds are, of course, it's not the same horn.

But I look at that case and that horn and wonder ... could it be?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post scripts:

1. Of course, when I play the horn, I remember why I wanted the Bach ...

2. When I was a kid, I didn't even know trumpets had serial numbers, so I can't check that to determine if I won the long shot and recovered a horn I though was gone forever.
JAK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: 1946 Conn 22B Reply with quote

The timing of this thread could not be better. I just finished sending a PM to the person who generously sent me a 1946 Conn 22B while I was in Iraq nearly 5 years ago. I had not played a trumpet in nearly 11 years at that time, I ignorantly purchase a POS trumpet on Amazon and immediately found that it had more issues than one legged kickboxer. I turned to the members of TH for a suggestions on how to fix a leaky spit valve, with the limited resourced available to me in a combat zone. In the end, I never did get that Celio horn fixed, but a member here sent me a 1946 Conn 22B. Four years later I used that trumpet to play Taps at my grandfather's funeral. He was a Vietnam Vet who retired from the Air Force the year I was born.
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres mine.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93150&highlight=getzen+baby+shoes

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st trumpet purchased by my Mom from one of her co-workers for $75 (Used): Conn Director (Copper Bell).
About 10 years ago my house was broken into and it was stolen along with some electronic equipment.

Last edited by Ed Hernandez on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they gave my grandfather's horn to me when I was ten years old, it looked nearly new. Amazing condition.

After 8 years of being a stupid kid:

After some fine work by Charlie Melk, this is what I have today, except I had the original lyre holder put back on as well.

My grandfather died long ago but not after he saw his horn being trashed. By the time I knew how to be less clumsy the damage was done.

This restoration was a debt of honor.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: 1968 Holton Collegiate, 2009 Blessing ML1 Reply with quote

I guess I have two. Neither one would win a trumpeters' popularity contest.

My 1968 Holton Collegiate Bb cornet is pretty ratty, but it was my late brother's horn when he played as a youngster. Later, two of my three sons used it when they tried brass-winds. Nowadays I take it from its Tuxedo bag once a year and park it under the Christmas tree. Occasionally one of our grandchildren will want to toot on it a little. I do not see it ever leaving us.

I started my comeback in June 2011 after being nearly entirely away from the trumpet for forty years. I was using a 1950 Blessing Standard Bb trumpet that was in even worse condition than the Collegiate and after a month or so I wanted something nicer (my main axe back in the day had been a fancy French LeBlanc). I was still learning a lot, mainly here on TH, and I was curious about current Blessings, which are all still being made up the road from me in Elkhart, Indiana, where they have been made since 1906. I started prowling ebay and eventually found what was advertised as a new lacquered Blessing ML1. The price associated with the "make an offer" listing was eye-catching. I thought about it and submitted what I thought was a low-ball offer and ended up buying the instrument for $750 delivered to my doorstep. I soon found out that it was indeed new, in all of its original unopened packaging, but it was new old stock. Long story short, its finish and function is flawless and it has served me very well. In spite of me now owning a couple other Bb trumpets that are generally more highly regarded, the 09 ML1 is still the trumpet I reach for most frequently. I do not see it going away either.

Jim
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I can never bear to sell a horn! To me, it would be like selling my dog. They each have that much personality. (Although horns are easier to clean!)

Anyway, I still have my first horn, that I received when I was seven years old. My Connstellation short cornet. She's still in fantastic shape, which is a testament to how those Conn horns were built - like tanks! Plays like a dream.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'll play

Started playing in 5th grade, some best up Conn cornet. Really wanted a trumpet, like everybody else. So my dad, who wasn't a trumpet player or a musician checks the local classified ads. Buys a trumpet for $300.
I love it and play it through school. At some point I figure out its a Bach. At another point I figure out its a Strad. And lastly I figure out its a Mt. Vernon from '57. 43 bell.
My dad's now past away but the horn served me well all through college and he saw every performance. My only regret is that I was a dumb kid when I first got it. I had it silver plated and it took a decent amount of damage from carelessness. Everything was fixed along the way and I've had the valves rebuilt, but I do have to say I know play a Powell horn.
The Bach is here though and will be for a long time I think.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Yamaha YTR634. First "proper" trumpet I ever had, dream to play, and something a bit different to the squadrons of Bachs at my school.

If you look at my avatar you can see it, and if you go to

http://aviewoverthebell.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/my-horns-yamaha-ytr-634.html

you can read about it.

Best thing is I still have it, it's still a dream to play, and it now has a couple of siblings keeping it company in my triple case....

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned my '64 38B since circa 1972. It was given to me as a Christmas gift by my now late mother when I was in 8th grade. It was the very first musical instrument that I actually owned, and didn't have to borrow from my schools.

A Bob Reeves PVA brought it back to life circa 2008/9, and I'm glad I kept it. My kids have urged me to never sell it because they want to keep it in our family. She's still plays and sounds beautiful.

Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just got off the phone with my mother, and we talked a little bit about this. When I was in high school, I worked in the school cafeteria before classes and at lunch, and my parents matched my contribution to get me my first pro trumpet: a mid-90s Bach 72.

I've had this horn for most of my life now, and I have never played anything that sounds so good or is so versatile. I've had it reassembled by Ken Larson, put a Reeves alignment in it, replaced the leadpipe and tuning crook with M/K parts, and it's just a dream. I played this through high school, it got me into USC, I played it with the Army band, countless musicals, big band gigs, orchestras, brass quintets, jam sessions, etc. When I first met my wife while playing trumpet at Disneyland, I showed her the basics of how to honk out Hot Cross Buns between sets on this horn.

Sadly, it's beginning to show its age. For a good part of my life, I was playing 6+ hours a day, and now the slides are worn and need fresh grease weekly, expansion annually, and the valves need Hetman Vintage oil to keep their seal. If I use Al Cass or forget to stay on top of greasing my slides, intonation and response issues crop up. It won't be too much longer before I have to buy a new Bb, but I am never, EVER selling this horn. In fact, as I've been doing my preliminary horn testing, I've had to remind myself that the sales associates are NOT trying to take away my baby.
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt it would be my 1948 Conn 80A that was given to me by my Aunt. I recently had it restored by Mark Metzler. It's a fantastic horn and will change personalities on a dime with a simple MP swap.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Great stories. That Olds was there at my first performance. Well, first time out of the band & front & center. Did a duet: 'It's a Small World'. Had got a brand-new mpc for the show. Learned about the importance of gap, and of keeping a spare piece in my pocket.
Nikoloas17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am currently hoping I get lucky on eBay with a certain auction for a nice Yamaha 8310zs, which I've played a few times and loved. It won't matter if I get it, or a Strad, or any other horn out there, my old Yamaha 2335 is staying with me til the day I die. Everything I've ever learned or performed on a trumpet, from 5th grade to now 2/3 of the way through my senior year, has been done on that wonderful horn.
Lidl Brno Bb Rotary Flugelhorn
Benge 5 Piccolo Trumpet
Mouthpieces:
Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C
Monette B2
Monette B6LVS1
Yamaha 14E4
Yamaha 14F4
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
This is why I can never bear to sell a horn! To me, it would be like selling my dog. They each have that much personality. (Although horns are easier to clean!)...

Hmm. Unlike dogs, trumpet players never out-grow the need for newspaper on the floor!

Also, more perspective: on the day we returned the rental (and bought the new Bach 7C with my farm-stand money) there were two grimy and grizzled fellows in a trench, fixing a water pipe. One had noticed I'd gone in with a case and came out with nothin', so he asked if I'd quit. Then he wagged a finger at me, shook his head, and said "Never mind, what I just said, kid. You do what you want. Just stay in school. Whatever you choose, keep at it. So you don't end up like me." Yup. My job now? Wearing a white hard-hat, working topside, but right along with "that old guy" and his buddy. Go figure.

Nikoloas17, keep at it, kid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: