• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herb

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article. My father had all TJB LPs and played them regularly, thus I grew up listening to Herb. Probably uncontiously planting an inspirational seed in me to p/u the trumpet at age 10.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned something about Mr. Alpert that maybe not too many people know--I didn't.

I was visiting Bob Findley to check out Hub van Laar instruments and his studio walls are covered with photos and awards from his time with Herb Alpert. They are still very close friends.

I asked Bobby which part he played on the classic TJB recordings, first or second. He told me that Herb played both parts on those recordings.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reads, thanks guys!

Veery715, I think your signature, "Music is what feelings sound like." captures what Herb strives to capture in his music, as well as in music of the artists he admires and has signed.

Like many of you, seeing and hearing a trumpeter playing popular, mainstream music was an anomaly, a very cool and magical anomaly. I tried to watch Herb perform on any t.v. show on which he was featured, just to hear him play. Didn't you guys play some of his T.J. Brass tunes in your school's band room? Didn't your friends ask if you could play any of them? (Okay, I'm dating myself here!)

Everybody can try to play or sound like their heroes, which is great and very educational. But, Herb found his own sound, style, feel, and groove. I wonder if he set out to make his music commercial (appealing to the masses) sounding, or if he just innately has that in his musical core? Perhaps a combo of the two, based on the artists he founded during his career.

It wasn't more than a week ago, while flipping radio stations in my car, that I stumbled upon "Rise" and I listened very carefully. Herb can suck all the juice out of one, simple note, and it sounds so perfect for the context. In a YouTube video, Wynton similarly refers to sucking all the juice out of a single note. I've found that this thinking has made me focus on trying to make every note I play count, to sound its best, its cleanest, consistent with whatever else I play; and, I'm approaching my keyboard playing similarly.

I'm thinking out loud here: Has anyone - before Herb - brought trumpet music into American households like Herb has done? It wasn't until much later that Chuck Mangione's flugelhorn-based music, also an A&M artist, had such a significant appeal to audiences.

And, lastly, yes indeed, what a fine human being Herb is. Just to my alma mater alone, UCLA, he donated $30 million. And, look at all the good he is doing with children's music programs. Can't say enough good things about this man.
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb was my 1st "horn hero" as a kid.

He influenced me to the point where I bought TJB sheet music and played all of his tunes.

No doubt Doc, Mangione and Johnny Zell (the soloist on The Lawrence Welk Show) also had a huge impact on my playing but Herb was the guy I enjoyed playing along with his recordings (which I did more than playing long tones and scales making horn playing more fun for me as an amateur).

(Note: Notice the guys I listed with Herb had "that" sound.)

Maynard was fun to listen to however, I couldn't then (and can't now) play along with his recordings in his "altitude".

When it comes to Herb and people's harsh judgement of his limited ability to play in the upper register...I think of guys like Chet Baker who played well in the "cash" register just as Herb did.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamajazzlady wrote:
Cool article and I love the sketch of him by Fred Harper.

I pretty much want to steal that caricature for my profile. Do I need to ask Fred Harper?

Damn you, Ethical Man!

1963 Connstellation
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing the article with us.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a ghostwriting project right now. When I write, I like to listen to music, but when I listen to my favorite trumpet heavies, I start concentrating on the music and not on my writing. So today, I assembled a Herb Alpert playlist in my computer and have been listening to it all day. The old TJB stuff is nice background music which I can tune out as needed, but I was pleasantly surprised by his newer work (which I downloaded a couple of weeks ago but have not had much time to listen to). Every now and then I'd have to stop typing and just dig the music.

Ol' Herb really can play! I think it actually contributed to me having a very productive day. The music is simple enough that it doesn't require a lot of concentration to listen to, but tasty enough to keep my brain active.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: