• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need help triple tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CB_93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Need help triple tonguing Reply with quote

I'm playing the Brandt concert piece number 1. I've never had a big problem triple tonging, but I've never had to triple tongue this many triplets in a row! My throat tenses up and my tongue gets fat an heavy.

Any suggestions?
Carol Brass Bb/A Picc
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher once told me, its not triple tonguing, its just blowing.
Just blow through all the notes, let the tongue just temporarily stop the air.
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having knowing absolutely nothing about your playing, and assuming you have no way to find or take from a good teacher, here are some bullet points -

If you have never triple tongued that many triplets in a row, thats your first problem - just like anything else, you have to build endurance and muscle memory for this. Start slow, with small groups or triplets, and add more consecutive triplets, and bump up the tempo. SLOWLY add and bump. REST when your tongue feels fat and tired and slow.

It is a good idea to isolate your 'k' syllable to strengthen it, in theory to the clarity of your 't' syllable.

At super speeds, multiple tonguing isn't so much tktktktkt or ttkttkttkt, as it is dgdgdgdgd or ddgddgddgddgd.

Articulation is not(never?) about stopping the air, it is about keeping a solid and consistent air stream, and simply bouncing the tongue off of the air stream. Don't think about stopping the air, ever, unless on those rare occasions the music calls for a tongue stop, wish is actually at the end of a note, not the beginning...

It may behoove you to search the forums about 'k modified' or 'anchor' tonguing, as this is the best(correct) way to articulate for the vast majority of players. All the greats tongue in this manner, from Clarke to Herseth to Vizzutti.

Use a metronome.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you learn the passages by playing the triplets as single eighth/quarter notes, slurred if possible (or completely without tongued articulation), until you're comfortable with the melodic flow and the intervals being played. After that is centered, add the articulation. A lot of us actually make a sound, or attempt to do so, with the tongue. I try to think of the tongue merely as a valve that releases the wind rather than becoming the determining factor as to whether or not the tone will start on pitch, or at all.

Another suggestion is not to fixate on the passages in the solo- practice other long triple-tongued passages as well. Run through Arban exercises, if you really want a challenge check out the Smith (Top Tones) triple tonguing exercise- don't have the book in front of me but it's somewhere around 14 or 15- in Bb. Variety, patience, learn the melodic content first. Good luck.
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need help triple tonguing Reply with quote

[quote=I've never had to triple tongue this many triplets in a row![/quote]

Big Dave nailed it. This is your problem. You wouldn't take a lead gig in a big band without ever playing that many high notes in a row before. You just need to do it, a lot of it. Make sure you're doing it right with good technique, and then do it a thousand times.
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Larson has a helpful video posted on the Interlochen website regarding improving triple tonguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrBK_GUHxw
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with what BigDave said:

Go get your Arban.

Open to p. 155. Start with a metronome marking of half note = 106. Play #1 as written, using TTK then TKT then TK. Place a SLIGHT crescendo on each measure to ensure air motion. Drop 1/2 step, increase the metronome by 2-4 beats per minute and do the same thing. Continue to drop by 1/2 step, raising the metronome tempo by 2-4 beats per minute. After you do low F#, continue back up chromatically until you are back to F major. Rest as needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: