• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

wwbw promotional fiasco

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: wwbw promotional fiasco Reply with quote

I purchased a new horn from WWBW under their 12 mo. same as cash finance plan. Uh oh. They work with an outside financial institution HSBC.
Unfortunately neither company honored the plan. Interest was charged to my account on the first statement in the amount of $45.58 at a rate of over 20%. WWBW offered no assistance - they just referred me to HSBC.
It took two months and hours on the phone with both WWBW and HSBC to get this straightened out. All that to get the remaining 10 months of interest free financing. Before I made the purchase I did verify the terms with both the credit company and wwbw.
I just want to alert potential buyers of what my experience was.
WWBW, Musician's Friend, Music 123 are all essentially the same company operating out of the same warehouse. The last pro horn I ordered from them, they sent the wrong one. Maybe they're just too big to care anymore.
Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by Tomcat on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: wwbw is not the company it used to be Reply with quote

I too had a bad experience recently with wwbw. You can read the full post here: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119892

They sold me a new horn and shipped me a used horn. I'll not order anything major from them again so they've lost a long term and profitable customer. I spent $1000s with them building up my home studio and on live sound stuff like mics/cables/stands etc. Plus my son is a musician and he also will no longer be spending with them, so they effectively lost 2 customers just not playing fair.

So long WWBW. Sorry to hear about your experience.
James Becker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: wwbw promotional scam Reply with quote

Is bigger better? Here's some food for thought when you consider you're next purchase.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guitar Center, Inc.

Type Private
Industry Musical Instruments
Founded 1959
Headquarters Westlake Village, California
Key people Greg Trojan, CEO
Products Musical instruments, Recording equipment and accessories
Revenue $1.78 billion
Owner(s) Bain Capital
Employees 10,000
Website www.guitarcenter.com
Guitar Center is the largest chain of musical instrument retailers in the world[1] with 239 locations[2] throughout the United States. Its headquarters is in Westlake Village, California.
Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind and Harmony Central.

Last edited by James Becker on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tomcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating to learn that the Conglomerate is even BIGGER - Guitar Center, Harmony Central and that BAIN Capitol is behind it all. WOW! I used to be a customer of Giardinelli. Back in the day, you could call customer service and speak with knowledgeable staff. Not any more. They were bought out too.
I am one who tries to do business locally but even in a medium size city- this is not always easy to do. We have a monopoly on cable, a monopoly in national music retailers, and a near monopoly on instrument manufacturing. Thanks to what I've learned here I'm not doing business with them anymore.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: wwbw promotional scam Reply with quote

James Becker wrote:
Is bigger better? Here's some food for thought when you consider you're next purchase.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guitar Center, Inc.

Type Private
Industry Musical Instruments
Founded 1959
Headquarters Westlake Village, California
Key people Greg Trojan, CEO
Products Musical instruments, Recording equipment and accessories
Revenue $1.78 billion
Owner(s) Bain Capital
Employees 10,000
Website www.guitarcenter.com
Guitar Center is the largest chain of musical instrument retailers in the world[1] with 239 locations[2] throughout the United States. Its headquarters is in Westlake Village, California.
Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind and Harmony Central.

Thanks for this info!!! Those companies will never see a cent from my wallet again!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've found WWBW (and it's related companies) to go out of their way to make sure its customers are satisfied.

What did the financial institution tell you when you contacted them? Did they agree it was a mistake? Or did they feel you violated the terms of the agreement? What did they say was the reason for charging you interest?

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Tomcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both companies agreed it was a mistake. Just was a big pain to fix.
Took two billing cycles and lots of phone calls. Huge waste of time.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad it got cleared up.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
MattC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about the guitar center link. About a year ago I had an incident at guitar center and vowed never to go back. It helps that a locally owned competitor opened a few blocks down the road.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWBW has, IMO, gone from being a great source (my experience with them goes back to the late 70's) for brass players to a very incompetent organization. I would not do business with them again.

Brad361
MattC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My purchases from wwabdbw have been smooth. I've never used the financing there. I did use "no interest" financing years back for furniture. Same story: they started charging interest immediately.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had NOTHING but top notch service from WWBW and Music 123. I am pleased to see they are BAIN companies and will most definitely do more business with them in the future.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWBW and Musician's Friend make mistakes sometimes (as everyone else). Their used gear, especially with an extra discount, is often a great bargain, as the price is right and you can return the item if you do not like it.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afp wrote:
I have had NOTHING but top notch service from WWBW and Music 123. I am pleased to see they are BAIN companies and will most definitely do more business with them in the future.

You might be the only one whose had good service from them.

I ordered a trumpet from them. I received it in a box. Just a trumpet in a box. No packing, no case, no wrapping, not a single Styrofoam peanut. Just a trumpet in a small cardboard box. It had acquired a dent in the bell bow, amazingly, that was it.

Still, really?

My DVDs from Amazon have more packing, way more.

Pathetic.

Another time, I ordered a trumpet, I received a box of guitar picks and string. No trumpet.

At least with Ebay, there's a chance the seller will get it right.

I did have positive experiences ordering accessories from them... back in the early and mid 90's... That was a long time ago. Since then, well, I think I've finally learned and won't bother them again with any business.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Tomcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packing - I didn't even mention packing in my original post. They took an instrument which I paid over $3,000 for (after discount) and put the soft case in a small box. No packing, not a peanut in sight. I pack empty cases in bubble wrap and peanuts for shipping.
Some will be happy with a discount & a liberal return policy - that's the Walmart way. But like trumpet playing itself, some have higher standards than others.

Last edited by Tomcat on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Tomcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
WWBW and Musician's Friend make mistakes sometimes (as everyone else). Their used gear, especially with an extra discount, is often a great bargain, as the price is right and you can return the item if you do not like it.

I think you're missing the point here. It's not just about making mistakes versus getting it right. It's about the values that are behind the business.
Are employees knowledgeable and trained? Is there adequate communication between their many departments? When something goes wrong, sometimes terribly wrong, are they empowered to deal with it properly & effectively?
In my case, WWBW told me they couldn't do anything about it. Take it up with the other company they said and it took months to resolve.
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two times in the past six months I nearly bought stuff from them, but they convinced me to spend my money elsewhere, and now that I know they are paired Bain, I'm glad they did. 1. They had a selmer 80j used for a really reasonable price, but only had stock images up. I asked for pics of the actual item (so I could see how used it was) and they replied saying that the instrument was already packed in a box waiting to be purchased and shipped. I responded asking if they could open the box, which isnt much work, they never got back to me. 2. A while back I heard they were having a sale on buffet instruments. I called asking about the sale price on an e11 in a. The guy told me that e11's only come in Bb. Anybody who knows anything about clarinets will know how dumb that is.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're all different so whatever resonates with you.
BAIN does not resonate with me. i'm considering selling my stock and investing instead in companies that construct gas chambers.
you know the really funny thing about this last little internet stretch is doing ebay business, and the shocking early 20th century ethic of nearly all of the small vendors. they've all been rolled over and crushed in the machine and wouldn't consider putting anyone through it, and will lay themselves down to make you happy.
a company that adds to the sum total of unhappiness is a different matter.
thanks for the heads up.
chuck
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used WWBW when ever I couldn't find what I needed locally, and we do have a very good source here. I've never had any issues with any transactions with WWBW, have found them to be prompt, and will continue using them when necessary. I'm not one to purchase instruments on installment plans, however, since the best deals almost always come from having cash in hand.

As for a company associated with BAIN Capital, at least the business would be run by people who know how to make money, and people who would know when a business is not able to keep itself afloat. Strange, that's the way all businesses used to have to operate...
Tomcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:

As for a company associated with BAIN Capital, at least the business would be run by people who know how to make money, and people who would know when a business is not able to keep itself afloat. Strange, that's the way all businesses used to have to operate...

Interesting. The company associated with BAIN Capital, is HSBC. HSBC was just fined almost Two Billion dollars for MONEY LAUNDERING. HSBC is a British company and they were found guilty of laundering Columbian drug cartel money. So in that regard you are right Craig, they know how to make money alright
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: