• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet/Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Trumpet/Cornet Reply with quote

Hello all - as some of you might remember I have joined a budding Brass Band [Crossroads Brass Band] and am having a ball playing this type of music. I seem to be able to go from trumpet to cornet with no problem but switching back to trumpet from cornet seems to be an issue. It takes me 15-20 minutes to settle in. I also have noticed that I have lost a little range and some endurance now. I used to have a very comfortable D above high C and be able to go to F and sometimes G above high C but now I seem to top out at E and D is not as easy as it once was. I use a Hamond 5s on the Trumpet and use a Curry 7DC and Curry & BBC on the cornet. my practice habits haven't changed so I am wondering if this is normal or is there something I need to work on? Thanks for any input. Oh by the way I play the 1st part in a community band, the Lead book in a big band and the 2nd book solo part in the brass band.
assorted other horns
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing cornet a lot, I have to re-acclimate to trumpet, but it's because I tend to overshoot the higher notes on trumpet for a bit. I attribute that to playing cornet on a deep Curry 3BBC. mouthpiece and playing trumpet on a Curry 3C. The trumpet seems easy to play compared to the cornet. Going the other way, trumpet to cornet, is less of a deal, but maybe it's because I play cornet more than trumpet.
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find using the same rim size and shape and all of my instruments to be very beneficial. It really eases all the transitions, especially when I am going back and forth from trumpet and flugel a lot in one night. I don't do much cornet playing, but I imagine using the same rim would help you there as well.

Last edited by musicalmason1 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalmason1 wrote:
I find using the same rim size and shape and all of my instruments to be very beneficial. It really eases all the transitions, especially when I am going back and forth from trumpet and flugel a lot in one night. I don't do much cornet playing, but I imagine using the same ring would help you there as well.

+1 , i use the same pieces for my Bb and cornet and i switch with out problem.
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another +1 for careful mpc. selection.

Try and keep the size the same, and I have found that the rim shape / feel is important to keep similar.

One of the reasons I use the Curry for Cornet is the feel of the rim is very similar to my Monette trumpet 'piece.

FWIW

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as above. Pick the cup depth based on the sound you'd like for each, and keep to the same maker's rim.

One of those cornet-to-trumpet mpc adaptors might help you explore this at home or in practice session.

Also, a minute of long low C's helps me acclimate between T & C & Flugel.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connicalman wrote:

Also, a minute of long low C's helps me acclimate between T & C & Flugel.

That's very much what I do. I use very different mouthpiece on my different instruments and I use about 30 seconds of low, quiet breath attack type work which I disguise as checking tuning (and actually that's not a bad idea at the same time). Especially when going "uphill" flugel to cornet to trumpet, something that I have not fully identified needs to be reset and just that little bit is enough to do it.

Tommy T.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Trumpet/cornet Reply with quote

Hello all,
I also use the same rim and width from horn to horn. Lately, using my Warburton 5D on cornet, Bb, C and MD, MC and 6S for the smaller horns, depending on music and range. I pick the backbore for resistance and intonation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: