• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shires or Adams as an all round instrument

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elparky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Shires or Adams as an all round instrument Reply with quote

Shires or Adams? And, who are other manufacturers that are making a mark on the trumpet industry?
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a dart and throw it at the trumpet manufacturing board. Many great builders and horns.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the Adams horns, especially the A4! I also played quite a few other brands at the NAMM show and was impressed by the great consistency from horn to horn (Getzen and Kanstul just to name a couple).
elparky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardwy - I'm beginning to agree with that method. ( I also plan to use that method in the upcoming NCAA pool)

I have found that the efficiency of new lines is quite noticible compared to vintage horns.

My current horn is the Kanstul 1601. The first chance I had to try a Shires was very interesting. That horn was very open and efficient. It seemed to play itself. But Trent Austin has just recieved a large shipment of Adams so I was able to try the Adams A5.

So, I'm looking again .... I love trumpet hunting ....
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never played Shires, so I can't speak on them... but I can say that I LOVE every Adams I have touched and can NOT wait to get my large bore A9 that I have ordered!

If it were me I'd be asking myself why Trent (former Shires artist) went from having his own trumpet built by Shires (Who practicaly lives in his back yard!!!) to Adams who is half way round the world as the only horn he plays.

Oh and one other thing BAUERFEIND valves!!!

'nuff said!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start sleeping with older women now, that you may have an adams in short order.
..chuck
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
start sleeping with older women now, that you may have an adams in short order.
..chuck

Huh?
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this might sound pious not having played either but why would anyone wanting to sell trumpets to as many people as they can make there horns all so specialized that they where not " all around trumpets"??? Yes I know it is a run on sentence but it is a valid question....Not that they would not maybe have some highly specialized tools but surely both companies make at least one model that would be a fantastic all around trumpet???? Surely this is more a matter of chosen the best fit for what you expect from a trumpet. All good all around trumpets are full of compromises in there design and construction because in order to be good at a lot of things you can not be fantastic at just one. It takes significant design bias away from mainstream which neither of these companies really do in order to make a insanely fantastic one trick pony.

Even people and companies that make a large bang with highly specialized products today cover all the bases......Taylor Trumpets, Harrelson Trumpets, Monette the kings of extreme in some ways all have main stream crowd pleasing models. Look at the Monette models MF played on and the Harelson Muse and Taylors VR's fantastically main steam all around horns. In that same fashion those companies I named also have some wild purpose built tools that would not "Blend in a section of Bach's" it is not brand specific it is model specific.

Like wise the price point of the horn does not make it magically a highly specialized blue blooded toy I mean tool that is suddenly a one trick pony!

At the price point you are shopping at you need to take the models you are interested in for a test spin. Do they have a 6 day trail period at the very least? When it comes to trumpets I might think a heavy gold brass belled or bell'ed not sure which reads easier YTR 6335 or 6345 might be a great all around tool another player might think it is a one trick pony.

It is and always will be more about picking the right model from a builder then it is necessarily which builder you go with. Not always true but I seriously think in the area you are looking to play that you could easily flip a coin and not go wrong assuming you pick the right model from the right company for you! Just some common sense advice.
davidkoch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE my Shires C. Class act people and they put out great horns. They have a repeat customer here.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
Ok this might sound pious not having played either but why would anyone wanting to sell trumpets to as many people as they can make there horns all so specialized that they where not " all around trumpets"??? ... you could easily flip a coin and not go wrong assuming you pick the right model from the right company for you! Just some common sense advice.

I have no experience with Shires, but own and love the Adams A4 SC. It could be used by any player as an 'all-around horn' but can become more specialized with a deep mouthpiece, like I use to play 'darker' for some jazz applications. It features some non-mainstream styling cues and has arguably 'the best valves on the planet' ... so it is a great all-around horn with a 'different' personality.

When I was younger, the boutique market was much smaller (or at least harder to see/find) and there were many mass-produced horns (as there are today) that were great options for any player. I really never thought about a 'custom horn' at that time. Today, I can buy anything I want, and so I've tried a number of options, from new axes, to vintage, to custom. I have found that virtually everything could be an 'all-around trumpet' for the majority of players, and would have no 'blending' issues. I just think we live in a wonderful time when there are so many more great options available, that we can see, hear and try like never before in history ... and that is awesome .... just like my Adams trumpet!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetguy27 wrote:

If it were me I'd be asking myself why Trent (former Shires artist) went from having his own trumpet built by Shires (Who practicaly lives in his back yard!!!) to Adams who is half way round the world as the only horn he plays.

'nuff said!

I don't mean this as a dig against Trent, or Adams, or anybody else, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily try to draw too many conclusions from that. Trent's a great player, and, by all accounts, a great guy. He also clearly loves trying, playing, and moving on to new trumpets, since a brief skim of his posts here in the past few years will tell you that he has had many many favourites, and has moved around quite a bit between brands, eras, styles ... you name it. (Nothing wrong with that, either! I'm just not assuming that there won't be any more changes, or that it means one is better than another.)
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't played any Adams horns yet, but the Shires horns are great - all of them play phenomenally, and you can get a configuration to produce whatever sound you're looking for. They have many different horns that could be "all-around" horns - most of them, in fact.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Shires Reply with quote

i have heard great things about the Shires seriex. Tried a few C trumpets for literally a few minutes each. Like them and preferred the larger bell models.

In an exhibit room so not the optimal testing site.

I understand the Florida Orchestra (Tampa) has switched to Shires with good success. They do a wide variety of literature so I suppose these horns would fit the bill to being good all around horns.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Shires Reply with quote

Bill Dishman wrote:
i have heard great things about the Shires seriex. Tried a few C trumpets for literally a few minutes each. Like them and preferred the larger bell models.

In an exhibit room so not the optimal testing site.

I understand the Florida Orchestra (Tampa) has switched to Shires with good success. They do a wide variety of literature so I suppose these horns would fit the bill to being good all around horns.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida

Rob Smith plays Shires, Ken Brown plays Bach, not sure about the third player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: