• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lazy beginner

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackday
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
If you were my student (even part time), given that you like to play trumpet with one hand and piano with another, I'd tell you to get a C trumpet so that you can avoid needing to transpose every note all the time. Of course, you can also play your etudes and other things on the Bb trumpet in the event you ever do wish to play in a band of some kind.

As for playing until or after your lips turn to mush...this is a huge problem and a no no for any serious player or student. I'd suggest to put the trumpet down when your lips get tired (at the first sign of tiredness, not the point past turning to mush). Wait at least 10 minutes, and then pick it up again. If you get tired again, set down the horn for the day. After a while, you will become a much better player for doing this. Students that play on tired lips are creating more problems for themselves than doing good. But perhaps you're not only a lazy beginner, but also a stubborn one and just a little bit unwilling (no?) to change what you're doing. I hope this isn't the case, but I wish you well in any event.

Stubborn, yes, but the chorus from everyone here on the forum is deafening. Some paradigms are meant to be changed.

I bought the Clark book and ordered the Stamps warm ups. And will now humbly practise as follows, based on common themes I have found here and among all the great teachers and players the internet has generously introduced me to:

Low
Slow
Deep breath
Exhale naturally
'spit' my air out
good tone
rest a lot
don't be impatient with the process

I am......but an ant among giants here. Thanks to you all.

edit: I will be doing 2 to 3 lessons a week, kind of like a trainer. He has a regiment of breathing excercises, buzzing, then 'remington' excercises, which seem similar to some Lin flexibility studies I had glanced at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: