• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter 1600I Roger Ingram Horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IshouldbePracticing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 1600I Roger Ingram Horn Reply with quote

I got this horn about a year ago and love how it plays in the mid/low registers, but it does get a little squirrely above High E. The horn came with little lead pipe attachments called x-nodes, or something of that nature and I haven't found much info on them. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Brad
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: 1600i XONS Brochure Reply with quote

PM me at mark@currympc.com

I'll send you the PDF files on the XONS.

mc
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rogeringram.com/images/jupiter/XO1600i_Accessory_Kit_TF.pdf
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How interesting, I might make some for my Bach. Do they really make a noticeable difference?
RogerIngram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jf_trumpet wrote:
How interesting, I might make some for my Bach. Do they really make a noticeable difference?

Yes, the XONS (Nodal Stabilizers) do make a difference with regard to evenness of blow and balance. However, I feel the difference made is more apparent for those who regularly need to access the upper and extreme upper registers of the instrument (although many players who live in the normal registers of the instrument still enjoy the 1600i with the stabilizers installed). For trumpet players who do not do that type of upper register work, I feel the necessity for using the Nodal Stabilizers is diminished to a degree. The 1600i product package comes included with the Nodal Stabilizers in 1/4" and 1/2" lengths. You don't HAVE to use them. No matter what kind of work they are required to do, many trumpet players prefer setting up their 1600i without the stabilizers; it's completely up to them.

A hard copy of the pdf I wrote should be included with every new 1600i package. However, I have provided the tri-fold "accessories info document" in pdf format on the "equipment page" of my website for the off-chance the document was not included. Everyone should read the tri-fold document BEFORE installing their XONS for a number of reasons. It's only three short pages folks! The reasons will become apparent as you read through the document.

The Nodal Stabilizers are merely an option for the purchaser as are the heavy bottom valve caps, the alternate finger buttons, the metal valve guides, the optional set of valve springs and the rounded tuning slide. You get all of these extras when you purchase the new XO Professional 1600i from a Jupiter dealer.

You can do anything you want with this package in an attempt to "make it your own" so-to-speak. This is but one of the positive attributes of owning the 1600i package.

Personally, I use the standard "squared-off" tuning slide, the metal valve guides and I have both 1/2 inch stabilizers installed. I use the "regular" stock bottom valve caps, the "regular" stock finger buttons, the stock springs and I prefer the brass-lacquer finish. But this is just for me; make it whatever you want.

I hope this helps,
Roger
MY BOOK: http://onetootree.com/Books
FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/RogerIngramTrumpet
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, thank you for your input, very helpful. Will get making some pieces of tube to try them out.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look closely at the design of the XONS before attempted to roll your own at home. Be especially attentive on how to get them back out again after you try them.
IshouldbePracticing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the XONS in this morning and I can already tell a huge difference. This feels like a brand new horn. C5 and C6 feel exactly the same and all it takes is a little tongue work and those high partials pop easier than I've ever felt on a horn. Couldn't be happier with this trumpet. Thanks for everyone's help, especially Mr. Curry and Mr. Ingram.

Brad
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Look closely at the design of the XONS before attempted to roll your own at home. Be especially attentive on how to get them back out again after you try them.

LOL, I appreciate the warning!! Will try to post the results soon.

Cheers!
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial findings with just a leadpipe-tuning slide ring (XON) are that the blow is more even, the low G plays more clearly and it is a little easier to bend the note and so shape what you are playing. I think the sound is a bit more lively too. Wow!
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the one with 4 notches into the bottom pipe, as per the instructions, and it is now hopelessly stuck... I can't push the tuning slide in at all (the bottom XONS won't budge either direction) even though the top XONS went in fine.

Please help. My brand new horn is now rendered unplayable...

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:
I installed the one with 4 notches into the bottom pipe, as per the instructions, and it is now hopelessly stuck... I can't push the tuning slide in at all (the bottom XONS won't budge either direction) even though the top XONS went in fine.

Please help. My brand new horn is now rendered unplayable...

How did your brand new horn come without the removal tool (which you mentioned not having in the other thread you woke up about this)? It normally is in the same plastic zip-lock bag that has the documents inside, as well as a micro-fiber cloth. Perhaps it's in there and you just didn't see it?

It's possible you had some "crud" of some sort in the tubing. When you were putting it in the horn, did it give you any resistance initially? Did you push even harder against resistance to force it in? Etc.

This might be a good opportunity for you to investigate the services of a local repair tech. He'd probably be quite capable of making a replacement removal tool for you if indeed you don't have one.
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the equivalent is in the US or if you have the same product, but WD-40 an effective lubricant for rusted or stuck tools, which should help (worked for me!). Maybe even valve oil will be enough to make it move more easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: