• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

fundamentals forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy over there who has had a lip injury.

He's getting advice from everybody.

Mostly they are telling him "its all air" "forget about the lips".

I'm involved in several house projects right now, and don't really have the time to get involved, but it would be nice if someone from the Reinhardt forum could advise this guy.

Chris
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that post, Chris, and see that the geniuses have swooped to his rescue.

My feeling is that if he wants help a la Reinhardt, he would post in our forum. If this guy is naive enough to take advice from 40 directions at once, then he deserves what he gets.

Here's something my dad told me about advice: "Wise men don't need it, and fools don't take it." Not to mention the fact that free advice is often worth exactly what you pay for it.

This could be why my teaching load is so light, but I generally don't offer advice unless I've been asked for it directly.

That's just for me, however. Whatever anybody else wants to do is fine by me.

Rich
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read Dave Wilkens response to the guy with the injured chops. He said it about as well as any of us could.....

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Rich, I know what you mean.

Its not that I'm lazy or anything, but I just don't feel like bothering anymore with the people on these forums who are so called "experts" and have nothing better to do than "out post" one another all day and night.

Most of them are good typists (I on the other hand use two fingers), so when they get into these posting "wars" with people its very, very time consuming for someone like me.

And to tell you the truth, I did kind of feel bad for this fellow with the chop injury, but as for most of the other "misguided" on these forums......I could care less.

As I've said before, it's an overcrowded field already. The less of us who know whats going on the better.

Chris
schlotsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe.....

I came to you guys first.

I went through all the forums and this group is the one that conected to me.

Anyway I got one question for you guys.

Been doing the lip buzzing daily and the pencil exercise. My chops feal a lot better and my attacks and intonation has improved a lot along with endurance. One thing I've noticed, my mouthpiece has droped down a decent bit.... Should I be aware of the curent placement and try to keep it there or let mother nature decided till I have a lesson.

As far as a lesson, Paul is in Georga and only a few hours away but I can't make for at least another month or two...... I have to buy a new car. Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Oh BTW, I changed mouthpieces and went smaller From a Warburton 4 to a 5C Bach..... Just felt better with the lower placement (which by looking at pictures is along a IIIB).

Thanks again,
Shannon Jeffreys
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Let the core of the sound be your guide."

Thats a quote from Doc.

Without seeing you play, that the best advice I can give you.

When things are working right, you'll FEEL and HEAR that core.

Chris
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon,

I'm scheduled to be in Mobile on Sept. 26th & 27th for the big trumpet fest that will be going on that weekend. According to the plan, I'll have plenty of time to work with individuals who want to come and see me during the times between clinics. If all goes according to the plan I last heard, I'll be giving a "chops" clinic and also an "improv" clinic . . . two clinics a day, I believe.

Last I heard this was all a "go" so maybe you could contact Bruce Donnelly (histrumpet on TH) and get more details.

If you're a type IIIB (like me), this lower placement probably won't hurt your playing. It might actually help it. I'd be glad to work with you if this whole Mobile thing comes together.

Rich
campguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris...

I finally joined this group. I met you in Hollywood with Jerry Fisher's rehearsal band this summer. I was visiting my old buddy, Ken Faulk, and he invited me out to sit in. Thanks for the buzzing advice. It hepled improve my facial muscle strength.

Until talking with you and Ken I was not familiar with the "Doc" Reinhardt' work. Is his method material available for purchase somewhere? You play great man. The invitation for you and your family to vacation in St. Augustine is still open . Thanks again.

Joe Wytiaz
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Campguy,

I, too, am a fairly recent "convert" to Dr. Reinhardt's Pivot System! I've maybe got a good 5 months in on it, and I have already noticed considerable improvement!

I was lucky to have Rich Willey give me a pointer or two in March, and within mere SECONDS, I kid you not, Rich had me sounding so much better!

I only wish I had a true Pivot System "master" close by, for personal lessons. Would definitely help to know that I am doing things "correctly."

There is a lot of really good advice here! Read, and ask a lot of questions!

And the "Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" can be purchased. Try contacting Dave Sheetz at: http://www.airstreamdynamics.com
there should be some order information there!

Good luck to you!
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe!

A thousand welcomes man!!!!!!!!!!

If you still have my number just call me, and I'll help you any way I can.

My wife keeps bugging me to call YOU about a vacation.

Get the "Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" and look it over, after that I'm sure you will have some questions, that would be a good time to hook up.

I remember your chops, they looked real good, they just needed a bit of "firming" thats all.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: