• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

puffing cheeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that doc said that puffing cheeks can be used when there is not enough capacity in the throat. Is this why Diz and Art Farmer would puff their cheeks?
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you are referring to is what Doc called "golf balls" in the cheek area ala Conte Condoli. It was much more desirable to have instead of a neck puff which needed to be eradicated. The puffs of air would occur in the upper cheek area on either side and just below the nose (it's kind of hard to describe, so I hope you get the idea. Look at pictures of Conte). This wasn't the cheek puff you would see in Diz or Art Farmer's setup.

Let me state here first that THIS IS AN EXCERCISE, NOT A WAY TO PLAY!! Doc did come up with a routine called the "Relaxation Routine" which was inspired by Dizzy Gillespie's setup. It is used to relax the cheek area and set the jaw in the correct position and help you find your "legs" (particularly after a tough night of playing).

Of course to do this drill at all you should work with a teacher who is very familiar with the Pivot System. There is more to this drill and it is important for a teacher to see what you are doing or to see if you are even ready for this drill.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For M Ferguson: Page 67 of The Encyclopedia of The Pivot System "...if a player's mouth cavity is smaller than average, he will have puffing tendencies"...he did not say anything about the throat in relation to a cheek puff....much more here (pages 67, 68, 69 and 70)... and while I am in this post, let me say that I still don't understand why questions posed are readily available in The Encyclopedia and why answers don't get refered to that book! I strongly urge ALL interested parties in Reinhardt's teachings to get the book and read it. Also, some Reinhardt Students can quote page and paragraph. If ever a book was written to explain how to play a brass instrument, this is it! In reference to another topic re: the mental approach, Doc would say "play the Routines as instructed"...not much thought here as to how to play them ... concentrate on the "feel" ... make mechanics a habit (like walking, which I am sure none of us "think" about how to do that)...and on the gig, play with controlled abandon...make good to your best conscious musical ability and let the subconscious (the one you worked on during the repetitious practice periods) be on its own.
Dave S.
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Dave is correct. Referring to the Encyclopedia of The Pivot System lends more credence and accuracy to any answer we might give. Get the encyclopedia and read it....you can order it at http://www.airstreamdynamics.com.

"No matter where you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-09-04 16:44 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: