• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Moved MP off center. Range increased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirOrigami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Moved MP off center. Range increased Reply with quote

Iam a fairly new player, with regular placement I can reach G below high C.

I tried moving the MP around and found the by placing it off center to the right, I can reach high C.

But the placement is much harder to control, I guess from never using it.

Should I give up the off center placement? Or keep it?
Gordontrek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very important that you increase your range in one position. To develop properly you need to keep the mouthpiece centered on your lips and expand your range from there. Don't rely on your off-center position for range, because it can form some nasty habits, like using too much pressure and not enough air.
Since you're fairly new, it's normal to have a somewhat limited range at first, but as you keep practicing it will develop. Just take it all in stride, and let your air take you there instead of relying solely on your chops.

Bach 18043
Eastman ETR-830S
Bach 1
SirOrigami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thrown it out the window now. Thanks for advice
1400MZA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I've a several problem with my jaw and my lips.

If you move the position of your mouthpiece it will be great, the two first days, then will be the same or will be worst.

In my opinion: If you move the placement of mouthpiece, you will use the musculature in a different manner. The first two days will be fantastic, because the musculature is with no fatigue, etc. Then it will be fatigued as in your initial position, you will change, two great days, and another time with fatigue.

Changing the mouthpiece position is a tricky way to "I'm better"

My suggestion, trying to improve air, vocalisis, range, thinking in Singing, music therms, but never moving mouthpuiece, changing mouthpiece every day, etc.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing inherently wrong with placing the mouthpiece off center, very high, very low, wherever. Don't worry about how it looks, worry about how it sounds and feels.

Lots of very fine players have very unusual looking mouthpiece placements. Everyone has a different face, everyone has a different embouchure. If it works better off center I'd try sticking with that placement and see if you can develop your whole range on that setting.

Good luck!

Dave
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to remember is center is not necessarily center.

One big thing I took away from Jeanne Pocius's book is to find that actual center of your upper lip and put that into the mouthpiece. For me, that's a little bit to the right of "center".

Then of course you have the structure of your teeth underneath to deal with....

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may not be anything wrong with an "off center" placement. It depends on too many variables to list here. What you need to know is that there is no "miracle cure" for anything that happens on the trumpet. The fact that something works today doesn't mean much in and of itself. If you practice it diligently for a year and it's really consistently fixing something then that's a different story.

Almost everyone has implemented something from time to time that has been a "quick fix" only to soon find that it really didn't fix anything, that shortly after installing the "fix" the same problems surface again

Trumpet is a very difficult instrument, a cruel instrument. Proficiency is built on diligent repetition of correct principles, not on "miracle cures."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: