• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for Rotary?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Case for Rotary? Reply with quote

Hello,

I just placed an order on my first rotary trumpet in my life - a Monke Bb maybe older than my parents (according to the seller, it is a "Verfertigt" instead of "Antefertigt" means that the horn was made in 1965 or earlier when Josef Monke was still alive. )

After doing some "homework" on google and this forum, I found there are something I should treat my instrument differently to the rotary than piston.

One thing is oiling and other maintenance, I think the post here by Maarten van Weverwijk really illustrate everything clearly. Also there are some other good resources such as osmun.com and aswltd. Check~

Second thing is mouthpiece. I'll buy a JK Classic 4C, just the size I am used to. Check~

The third thing is little bit confusing to me. I have seem that Maarten van Weverwijk and many other people saying that it's not a proper way to carry a rotary around using a gigbag. Well I'm using a Protec Three Trumpet Gig Bag now like in the following image:

Does this provide enough protection to the linkage of the rotary?

If not, what will be a good choice to carry a rotary (and maybe a D/Eb piston) with limit budget (say $150 ideally and maximum $250)...

Here is an option from eBay, I can't see anything special have done here to protect the linkage (like some foam rubber), is this good to carry both my rotary and the D/Eb piston?

Another choice is Jakob Winter JW360 which costs about $100... this is temporarily my primary choice for single horn case... any opinions on this one?

One other choice will be Glenn Cronkhite Rotary Trumpet Case, this looks just similar as the protec gigbag I am using to me. Any suggestions? Does their double/triple cases fit for rotaries?

There are other cases will fit Dotzauer Bb trumpet (or Yamaha Rotary), does it also fit a Monke?

Although there are still others good cases such as Marcus Bonna, but after looking at their price I become like this for 10 seconds:

No, this case is wayyyyyy too expensive to me, I'm a student, non-music major, just play orchestra for fun, so don't bother...

This is the first post on this forum, and thanks in advance for any precious information you left.

Last edited by oldfatcrab on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of Glenn's cases that I use for regular Bb trumpet
and I love them! good protection for a gig bag. it should work fine for
your needs. and the price is right.
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Rotary Case Reply with quote

I converted/modified a rectangular type leather double gig bag into a case for my rotary. Removed the divider and used it as a bottom pad. Used some dense foam sheets covered with soft cloth for the bell and crook ends.Took some extra velcro insert parts from a couple of my protec cases and made a very protective case. The horn lays flat and is very secure.

The opening is a double zipper full size opening so the horn can be removed without any problem and there is a flap inside the lid that I reinforced by inserting soft foam for extra protection from the top.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ganter rotary C trumpet actually fits quite nicely into a Torpedo single bag...there is no case that is more protective, and it works absolutely perfectly for me.

I also have a Yamaha double trumpet case (the dark gray/black one) that fits the rotary fine in one bay, and a piston in the other (in case I need both horns at once). I absolutely hate carrying more than one case at a time...

I only wish that it fit in my Torpedo Coyote...it probably would with another lid, and if I took my piccolo out...but that's okay.

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
I have two of Glenn's cases that I use for regular Bb trumpet
and I love them! good protection for a gig bag. it should work fine for
your needs. and the price is right.

Thank you.

yes, you are right, I have seen many positives about Glenn's case from lots of people.

And I would rather carry a soft bag rather than a hard case because I don't have a car, and sometimes I have to walk a long with them.

There are still 2 questions:

1. I saw people saying that gigbags are not a proper way to carry rotary trumpet. Does it mean all gigbags or with exception of Glenn's?

2. from the pictures on the websites, I don't really see Glenn's gigbag differs from my current Protec a lot... is there anything special about the Glenn's?
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Case Reply with quote

Bill Dishman wrote:
I converted/modified a rectangular type leather double gig bag into a case for my rotary. Removed the divider and used it as a bottom pad. Used some dense foam sheets covered with soft cloth for the bell and crook ends.Took some extra velcro insert parts from a couple of my protec cases and made a very protective case. The horn lays flat and is very secure.

The opening is a double zipper full size opening so the horn can be removed without any problem and there is a flap inside the lid that I reinforced by inserting soft foam for extra protection from the top.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida

What a brilliant method~

so now the bag only holds one trumpet?

Last edited by oldfatcrab on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loudog wrote:
My Ganter rotary C trumpet actually fits quite nicely into a Torpedo single bag...there is no case that is more protective, and it works absolutely perfectly for me.

I also have a Yamaha double trumpet case (the dark gray/black one) that fits the rotary fine in one bay, and a piston in the other (in case I need both horns at once). I absolutely hate carrying more than one case at a time...

I only wish that it fit in my Torpedo Coyote...it probably would with another lid, and if I took my piccolo out...but that's okay.

Louie

Thank you.

yes, a Torpedo is probably the most compact way to carry it... however I have seen lots of people say that it doesn't fit most Bb rotaries (mine is a Monke Bb)... I'm not sure if it is true, because I am really willing to use a Torpedo...
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfatcrab wrote:
loudog wrote:

Louie

Thank you.

yes, a Torpedo is probably the most compact way to carry it... however I have seen lots of people say that it doesn't fit most Bb rotaries (mine is a Monke Bb)... I'm not sure if it is true, because I am really willing to use a Torpedo...

Let me check on this for you on Monday...I'll be in a rehearsal where there will be a Bb...

Louie
Hastings College
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rotary fits nicely into my torpedo (mine is a Bb made in East Germany so not sure if that helps)
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loudog wrote:

Let me check on this for you on Monday...I'll be in a rehearsal where there will be a Bb...

Louie

Thanks~

Btw is the model number of the Yamaha Case YAC TRC-903?
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
My rotary fits nicely into my torpedo (mine is a Bb made in East Germany so not sure if that helps)

Thanks~

Great~ I might contact Torpedo to find if there are any retailer here in Canada to try one or two or those...
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfatcrab wrote:
loudog wrote:

Louie

Thanks~

Btw is the model number of the Yamaha Case YAC TRC-903?

605, rather than 903.
Hastings College
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Case for Rotary? Reply with quote

Cases: If you bought the Monke I used to own (I think you did), it did not fit in the older Torpedo case I had. Most of the old Monke Bb's and C's are really tough/heavily built and the linkages are not as delicate as those on some modern instruments. As long as the linkages are not readily exposed to impact from the outside and the horn is not resting on them it should be okay in a gig bag such as the one you mention, even if it is not ideal.

As far as a mouthpiece, on that horn, and on my current rotary (both old German instruments), I found gap to be hugely important. I use a wildly different sleeve on my rotaries to make the horn respond well. The JK you mention should work/respond well.

Best of luck, and enjoy the horn!
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loudog wrote:
605, rather than 903.

Oh great... I can't find any 903 online... but lot's of 605~
Thanks~
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Case for Rotary? Reply with quote

CRoberts8 wrote:
Cases: If you bought the Monke I used to own (I think you did), it did not fit in the older Torpedo case I had. Most of the old Monke Bb's and C's are really tough/heavily built and the linkages are not as delicate as those on some modern instruments. As long as the linkages are not readily exposed to impact from the outside and the horn is not resting on them it should be okay in a gig bag such as the one you mention, even if it is not ideal.

As far as a mouthpiece, on that horn, and on my current rotary (both old German instruments), I found gap to be hugely important. I use a wildly different sleeve on my rotaries to make the horn respond well. The JK you mention should work/respond well.

Best of luck, and enjoy the horn!

Awesome~ thank you~
PopPop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Case for Rotary? Reply with quote

My rotors all fit very nicely in the regular double and triple MB cases. Occasionally, I also carry them in Reunion Blues bags, if they're not going to get knocked around.
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bag should work fine. However, most of us who primarily play piston, load the rotaries upside down compared to our European colleagues. Load it with the rotors down and the 1st and 2nd slides facing upward.

My favorite hard case for my rotaries is the Bach Chicago Double (it's a little larger than the standard case...).

As for a gig bag, I use my Brass Bags quad and have used a multitude of other bags successfully including the MB: double flight, triple, and quad as well as an IPac triple. All worked well.

Regarding mouthpieces, your JK mouthpiece is a good jumping off point but I personally didn't like them much. Yes a lot of people use them but if it doesn't end up working, a more accessible mouthpiece might be a standard Bach !B or a 1 1/2 B to try various throat sizes until you find one you like. They already have a Schmitt backbore that behaves very well on Rotaries.

enjoy!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Case for Rotary? Reply with quote

Ref: Oldfatcrab

How much do you charge to remove that annoying animated gif from all your posts?
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Case for Rotary? Reply with quote

PopPop wrote:
My rotors all fit very nicely in the regular double and triple MB cases. Occasionally, I also carry them in Reunion Blues bags, if they're not going to get knocked around.

Thanks~

MB cases are really nice... except the part I can't afford that much to buy a case...
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvand678 wrote:
Your bag should work fine. However, most of us who primarily play piston, load the rotaries upside down compared to our European colleagues. Load it with the rotors down and the 1st and 2nd slides facing upward.

My favorite hard case for my rotaries is the Bach Chicago Double (it's a little larger than the standard case...).

As for a gig bag, I use my Brass Bags quad and have used a multitude of other bags successfully including the MB: double flight, triple, and quad as well as an IPac triple. All worked well.

Regarding mouthpieces, your JK mouthpiece is a good jumping off point but I personally didn't like them much. Yes a lot of people use them but if it doesn't end up working, a more accessible mouthpiece might be a standard Bach !B or a 1 1/2 B to try various throat sizes until you find one you like. They already have a Schmitt backbore that behaves very well on Rotaries.

enjoy!

Thanks for that to a rotary newbie~ or I will really load it incorrectly...

and it is so nice to know this many cases for rotary trumpets...

however there's a question to the mouthpiece - could you please explain more about "not end up working"?
I will go out of town and find a bigger music store to try - Waterloo is small town, filled with computer geeks... we don't have big music stores... so I might go visit some in Toronto someday~

Last edited by oldfatcrab on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: