• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for Rotary?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Case for Rotary? Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Ref: Oldfatcrab

How much do you charge to remove that annoying animated gif from all your posts?

oops...

time cost is almost instantaneously~

sorry about that :p
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfatcrab wrote:
jvand678 wrote:
Your bag should work fine. However, most of us who primarily play piston, load the rotaries upside down compared to our European colleagues. Load it with the rotors down and the 1st and 2nd slides facing upward.

My favorite hard case for my rotaries is the Bach Chicago Double (it's a little larger than the standard case...).

As for a gig bag, I use my Brass Bags quad and have used a multitude of other bags successfully including the MB: double flight, triple, and quad as well as an IPac triple. All worked well.

Regarding mouthpieces, your JK mouthpiece is a good jumping off point but I personally didn't like them much. Yes a lot of people use them but if it doesn't end up working, a more accessible mouthpiece might be a standard Bach !B or a 1 1/2 B to try various throat sizes until you find one you like. They already have a Schmitt backbore that behaves very well on Rotaries.

enjoy!

Thanks for that to a rotary newbie~ or I will really load it incorrectly...

and it is so nice to know this many cases for rotary trumpets...

however there's a question to the mouthpiece - could you please explain more about "not end up working"?
I will go out of town and find a bigger music store to try - Waterloo is small town, filled with computer geeks... we don't have big music stores... so I might go visit some in Toronto someday~

I just didn't like the rim/cup shape. You may absolutely love yours though. I have used a bunch of different mouthpieces on mine and still end up on the same modified 17C4.

For yours, I would recommend finding something that gives you a decent scale (generally a weak point on the older Monkes) and worry about comfort and even a "rotary sound" later.
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvand678 wrote:

I just didn't like the rim/cup shape. You may absolutely love yours though. I have used a bunch of different mouthpieces on mine and still end up on the same modified 17C4.

For yours, I would recommend finding something that gives you a decent scale (generally a weak point on the older Monkes) and worry about comfort and even a "rotary sound" later.

Okay, thanks for the advise~
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the fact that the Bb Monke Rotary trumpet you are anxiously awaiting used to be my Bb Rotary (one degree of owners ago), I can tell you that it is quite content to be kept in a Reunion Blues Triple Bag. In fact, given the fact that it spent many years inhabiting a Canvas Reunion Blues Triple Bag, if you were to provide it with a Leather Reunion Blues Triple Bag, I'm sure it would be ecstatic to say the least. Plus, since it no longer has to share the premises with its former companion (my old C Monke Rotary), it's going to be quite happy with all the new-found Lebensraum.

If you desire a single bag for it, I think the the Amrein Company in Germany makes very high quality leather gig bags for Rotary Trumpets and during my years living in Germany and playing with groups such as the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin (as a Sub), that was the mode of carry and storage I saw most often for Rotary Trumpets.

Also, it thrives on good ol' Al Cass valve oil and it likes the Bach 1X with a #22 Throat and a #24 Symphonic backbore a whole lot.

Enjoy!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
oldfatcrab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Given the fact that the Bb Monke Rotary trumpet you are anxiously awaiting used to be my Bb Rotary (one degree of owners ago), I can tell you that it is quite content to be kept in a Reunion Blues Triple Bag. In fact, given the fact that it spent many years inhabiting a Canvas Reunion Blues Triple Bag, if you were to provide it with a Leather Reunion Blues Triple Bag, I'm sure it would be ecstatic to say the least. Plus, since it no longer has to share the premises with its former companion (my old C Monke Rotary), it's going to be quite happy with all the new-found Lebensraum.

If you desire a single bag for it, I think the the Amrein Company in Germany makes very high quality leather gig bags for Rotary Trumpets and during my years living in Germany and playing with groups such as the Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin (as a Sub), that was the mode of carry and storage I saw most often for Rotary Trumpets.

Also, it thrives on good ol' Al Cass valve oil and it likes the Bach 1X with a #22 Throat and a #24 Symphonic backbore a whole lot.

Enjoy!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Thank you~

It's good to know Reunion Blues and Amrein are also a good choices~

Also I'm a die-hard fan of Al Cass oil for a decade... so there no need to buy new lubricant for rotors~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: