• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions for Roy Boy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Roy Boy” wrote the following rather unfriendly post in the "Airspeed" topic discussion:

Posted: 2001-11-20 02:07
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Excellent Charlie
I dug up an old post that needs to be injected
here. I don't know where comebackid went to
engineering school but his premises are false
with air speed as you have well pointed out.
The bogus science that John Mohan continues
to litter the forum with defending the
outdated,and misleading Claude Gordon
books needs to be exposed.

bugleboy..."

Questions:

Why did you sign off as "bugleboy"? You're not - Charlie R is.

That "bogus science" (as you call it) helped to create CAREERS for me and many of my colleagues as Professional Trumpet Players. Where have your ideas and theories taken you? What do you do for a living Roy Boy? What are your credentials to speak with such authority (and negativity)?

I did a search on your contributions to this website. The only one that was not entirely negative and nasty was the very first one you made back on or about November 15th (it was only partially negative). In it, you wrote that you tried the Gordon method for many years without success. I am sorry for that. My opinion is that you weren't understanding and using the material correctly (I don't think you were studying personally with Claude). I could be wrong, but that is usually the case when it doesn't work for someone. Whatever method you're using now, if it's working for you, then I'm happy for you.

Take a look back at your six posts - are you proud of them?

Lighten up and enjoy life!

Sincerely,

John Mohan

former L.A. Studio Musician
14 year student of Claude Gordon

[ This Message was edited by: John Mohan on 2002-02-15 06:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: John Mohan on 2002-02-18 09:40 ]
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah never mind John. It's not important to answer such posts. It looks obvious from CGs books he was into serious air development studies above everything else and for some folk that won't bring about fast improvments from the humdrum daily frustrations of practising to improve their playing.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:45 ]
Roy Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I did not sign off as bugleboy it's a complete copy of a quote from bugleboys post and he signed off at the bottom.
Im asking the web master to remove John Mohans two recent attacks on me including this thread. John Mohan made an all out personal attack on me a few months ago and that thread went away. I ask that the webmaster will delete this attack as well.
Roy Boy
zachenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Boy,

Perhaps John would stop, as you put it, "pestering you" if you would answer his questions? Everything I've seen you post has been so full of venom it would scare a cobra. It seems a little silly to me that with all of your negative posts you would suddenly cry "foul" when someone calls you on them. But of course you shouldn't listen to me because you have already so deftly "pigeon-holed" me as a "Mohan Minion." Um, yeah sure...

Zach
Roy Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was OK for John Mohan to fill the forum full of venom for most of last year. He even did it as soon as the new forum started. I spoke up and was fed up with him. I was not the only one either. A bunch of threads were removed that John started.
Zach why did John Mohan refuse to first answer my questions a long time ago.
Alrighty then I will start reposting the unanswered questions that John refused to answer to me.
Roy Boy

[ This Message was edited by: Roy Boy on 2002-02-15 23:53 ]
Roy Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHHHHHMMMM Very interesting looking at the posts below. People were so fed up with John Mohan that his first post in the new forum and folks were complaining and wished that he had gone away and would not become involved in the new forum. I mean he made a verynasty reputation for himself here on the trumpet herald.
I left everyone alone for many months and guess who other than John Mohan and his minions insists on continuing this stuff. SO BE IT THEN!

___--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree with Tom that it appears that John Mohan is back to his old habits to set people off like so many times in the old forum. We all are familiar with wild mud slinging attacks on people, other teachers, and of course PRO PLAYER staus used to put down anyone and everyone that gets in the way of his Claude Gordon biased opinions. In the past even resorting to complete fabrications of the truth in his efforts to put down anything that opposes CLAUDE GORDON.
Tom there was no need at all for the way that John Mohan treated you recently in the old forum with his brash, rude remarks of calling your post HOG WASH because you stated that you found that light weight horns tend to distort sound at higher volume levels. Mohan further goes on to brag about how the woodwind players have to wear ear plugs because he plays so loud on his light weight horn as a means to justify his insults to Tom Turner. Maybe a more mature attitude can evolve in the new forum.
Roy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------

Big Jake

Roy and hsstrumpet
Yes I agree that range can have a special space. Many players find range to be the most challenging or elusive goal in trumpet playing.
I agree that Tom Turner and the superchops posters are a great asset to this board. It is refreshing to see and read about specific chops instructions provided in the past by the superchoppers.Unfortunately Tom and other good posters have taken some hits from closed minded individuals. Mr Mohan and a few other individuals have already established a reputation at the Trumpet Herald with arrogance,and hostility that is going to be hard for them to fix. The title to this thread could easily be used to fit the attitude of the author. PREDICTABLE and (laughable)
Anthony Rogers

Roy Boy

Quote:

On 2001-11-15 10:50, Big Jake wrote:
The title to this thread could easily be used to fit the attitude of the author. PREDICTABLE and (laughable)
Anthony Rogers

Anthony that is a good one! I laughed until it hurt.

Roy Boy

histrumpet
Veteran Member

Posted: 2001-11-15 13:27
Big Jake,
I like the way you think. I wonder what it's like being one of John's students? Probably lonely.

airegin
Veteran Member

Posted: 2001-11-15 17:34
please, let's keep the high range forum. i was new to the old forum but i did chase several rabbits( J.M.'s posts) trying to find more info on superchops. i thought maybe he wasn't going to be on this new site. i hope i don't have to start wading through more cr@p in search of the real stuff.
J.M. i don't mean to insult you. i just don't have all day at the computer to read angry posts.
may we please keep the high range forum??
rob

Roy Boy

[ This Message was edited by: Roy Boy on 2002-02-16 00:05 ]
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't want to say anything, but the more I read the more upset I became....

Why can't people agree to disagree?
If we get soooo hung up on the ONE WAY things work we may never find something new!

My intent here is to read as much as possible and then to read some more.
I am almost positive, but I'll have to re-read the books in question, but I "THINK" Claude Gordon even recommends the same technique.

I AM IN NO WAY DEFENDING ANYONE!!!!!
SO DON"T START WITH ME!!!

I just want all the information I can find and make my own onions and would much rather read posts that are direct and to the point!

For example...
I studied with a teacher that taught some of the Caruso method. He allegedly was taught by someone who was taught by Mr. Caruso himself. And while the method did not help me with my range, it did help with endurance.
Therefore I am not going to bash this method because it didn't live up to my expectations, I would only share my experience.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!
Lets drop the name calling, mud slinging and finger pointing and get back to our horns and prove/disprove what works for US so that others, like me, new/comeback players, are not turned off by chat room/post fighting!!!

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: sean007r on 2002-02-16 00:33 ]
William Bentley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean
You are right and the only way the trumpet herald can continue as you suggest is for people like John Mohan to be removed from the site or forced to behave like an adult. As soon as things die down John Mohan causes more trouble it always happens. Mohan needs to stay in his little CG box and quit bashing everyone else with his CG club. John Mohan ruined the th forum for the entire summer last year bickering that everything CG said was the complete unquestioned gospel because of a fluoroscope experiment or because some pro players studied with CG.
I find it very amusing that John Mohan of all people has the audacity to ask another poster if he is proud of his posts. That's calling the kettle black. Lucky for John that many of his outrageous negative venemous posts were removed from the new forum.
John Mohan needs to put himself in the same boat with Roy Boy.
As long as Mohan is around then get ready for disruption to continue.

William

[ This Message was edited by: William Bentley on 2002-02-16 09:19 ]
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there is something more than I'm reading or something that has occurred before I became a member.

I WILL NOT defend anyone other than to say so far...
my experiences have been normal with everyone!
I'm sure there are two sides to the story, but I DO NOT want to hear about them.
I only ask that the alleged individuals communicate their heated difference in private or avoid them completely.

and too everyone....
WE ALL HAVE OPNIONS and some of us consider our opinions the gospel truth, but if there is one thing I've learned in life the only FACTS are we are all born and we will all pass away. Everything else in the middle is too short to bitch about!!!

Just my two cents again!
(_uIII_o__) |
zachenos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Boy,

John's question to you was basically asking what your trumpet background was and where you were coming from with your stances on the varying trumpet issues. If that is not his question then I'll pose it as my own. Your questions to him, as I recall them, were demands for specific scientific proof and formulas comparing and contrasting his method against SC, CC and others. Call me silly but John's question to you seems a little easier to answer. If you posed the same questions towards me I could not honestly say that I have scientific data, I just know what works for me and this sense is further increased as my students have their own successes. That doesn't mean I'm dodging the question, I just don't have the time, desire, or resources to express my thoughts on trumpet playing in scientific formulas and numbers.

Respectfully,

Zach
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This new post seems to have been made by Mr. Mohan simply to start something ugly by attacking a very old response from Roy Boy from waaaaaaaay back in November. I don't understand this meanness from Mr. Mohan, except in the context of his conduct in the past.

I had hoped this was something of the past with his added responsibilities of being a forum moderator.

So many new viewers don't remember the ugly stuff from the old Herald that Mr. Mohan always seemed to be in the middle of, much less the stuff last fall on the new forum (part of which was posted at the top of this post). Eventually many of those posts were removed on the new TH.

The comment pasted from Roy Boy that John used to start this hostile post was actually part of a November thread also started by Mr. Mahon that was condecending to many. The post was called "This is typical (and laughable)... " that was started in the High Register forum by Mr. Mohan.

Amazingly, this post can still be read and has not been censored or removed . . . yet. I'd recommend that those unfamiliar with the issue to please take time and read it (before it disappears).

That November post was initiated by John to state that it was laughable that more interest was being made on the new TH forum to high note playing than anything else, and it truly appeared he was poking fun of the non-professional participants of the forums for having an interest more in this area.

I took issue with John's statements at that time concerning their elitist, offensive nature and, to John's credit, he apologized to everyone for appearing to look down on other people!

I'm concerned that two things have happened in the past few days . . . John is back to initiating offensive or hostile posts . . . and he's back to acting "elitist" again, as evidenced by his statement on a recent Air Speed post, when he wrote to Charly Raymond, the Caruso Forum Moderator:

Again, I find these latest statements elitist and offensive. As I wrote once in reply to another bout with John over his ego, it bears writing again (in the nices possible way to word it):

"One doesn't have to make all their money making love to be a great lover."

I might add to that comment that a great Obstetrician (a doctor delivering babies) doesn't have to be female any more than Carmine Caruso needs to be a working pro to be a great trumpet teacher.

Tom Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-02-16 17:50 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:46 ]
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find your Happy place...a bar!

ChopsMcgraw
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 17:45, tom turner wrote:
Hi,

This new post seems to have been made by Mr. Mohan simply to start something ugly by attacking a very old response from Roy Boy from waaaaaaaay back in November. I don't understand this meanness from Mr. Mohan, except in the context of his conduct in the past....

Tom Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-02-16 17:50 ]

Dear Tom,

"Meanness"?Let's see:

Yes it was "waaaaaaaay back in November" when Rob Roy made that reply-post insulting me. But I saw it for the first time only a few days ago. Am I not allowed to respond when I am personally attacked? Is there a time limit?

Yes, I RESPONDED to Rob Boy's ATTACK. And I was not mean to him. I did not call him names. I pointed out that all but one of his posts made since his joining the new forum were of a negative nature.

And I asked him his qualifications, and pointed out that what he called "bogus science" has helped me and helped many others. I even wrote (quite sincerely) that I was sorry his attempt to use Claudes' books and/or method didn't work for him. In fact here's another DIRECT QUOTE from my post:

"Whatever method you're using now,
if it's working for you, then I'm happy
for you."

I don't get it - the guys calls the info I have provided "bogus science", I respond in a polite way, and you attack ME, Tom.

I am here to help people. I am not here to argue or debate. I am here to share what has helped me. I have done this for free. When I get attacked, I reserve the right to respond.

End of story,

John Mohan

P.S. This subject is closed for me.

[ This Message was edited by: John Mohan on 2002-02-18 09:43 ]
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of the story sounds great to me cause I hate such discussions. Threads like this one just destroy TH and I think nobody wants that. It doesn't matter who started arguing. Please stop it.
Everybody just wants to help so we all want the same. Yeah, there are different approaches for different people. Just let them live. They exist because the work for some people. Different folks, different strokes, you know. There is no right or wrong and also no reason for any insults!

Keep the TH clean so we all will have a nice time here

best regards
johannes
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more, Johannes. This thread is so infantile. I can't believe I read it. It feels a little like being the guy who complains about the trash on TV but feels he needs to read it so he will be informed enough to continue criticizing it.

Personally, I plan to make this my last read of a thread of this nature. I hope the rest of you will join me.

And by the way, THANK YOU to the many posters that add in a professional, respectful and positive way to this body of knowledge. I have learned so much in the past few months form ALL of the forums.

Ken
The man that has no music in himself,nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, strategems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections are dark as Erebus: let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:46 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: