• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette prices

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I'm sorry to have derailed this thread. As for the original question, op should just call the shop. They will be happy to give him the latest prices.
CB_93

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so monettes are more expensive than I thought. even used! But I want to stray away from the title of this thread and ask about harrelson and Taylor trumpets. Anyone played these and have any comments on them?
Carol Brass Bb/A Picc
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Taylor flugel. After I got used to it, I wouldn't trade it for any other flugelhorn. I reasoned that the trumpets must be equally great, so I tried a Chicago Lt. If you want a dark jazz sound, this one makes it VERY easy to do. I passed on one that had the heat-colored bell, but I will say that if you like that raw brass, big bell, funky look it definitely had it.
Look at the ones on eBay. Just be sure to get one that has the right bore size. The "46" is a .460" bore, the Chicago Standard is somewhat larger.
BTW, Andy Taylor is a great guy to deal with. Funny, down-to-earth, a real artisan.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Monette prices Reply with quote

CB_93 wrote:

And yes I know there are other horns good for jazz but I really want the raw brass big fat horn look. As well as the dark jazzy sound. Monette a are cosmetically pleasing and apparently they sound like Jesus so I really want to look into that.

They're awesome - check for second-hand though, I'm not into the fact they cost so much. I had some issues with my Adams so I suggest going and buying one you can try first (Trent Austin's shop Austin custom brass are really good to deal with)

But my advice - if it's the 'look' you're going for just solder some **** to your existing and strip the lacquer.
jazztrum

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest one I have. I received it from the shop a few months ago.
Monette Price List
SPRING 2013
MONETTE B-FLAT INSTRUMENTS
PRANA MF, PRANA XLT, or PRANA LT B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................. $9,900
PRANA 3 B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) .............................................................................................. $10,900
PRANA AJNA B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) ...................................................................................... $12,500
PRANA MF-STC, PRANA XLT-STC, or PRANA LT-STC B-flat Trumpet (brass finish)................. .$13,900
PRANA 3-STC B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) .................................................................................... $14,900
NEW! PRANA AJNA-STC B-flat Trumpet (brass finish)..……………………………………………….$16,500
NEW! PRANA RAJA AJNA-STC B-flat Trumpet (brass finish)..……………………………………….$20,000
RAJA P3-STC B-flat Tumpet (brass finish)……………………………………………………….. ......... $18,000
MONETTE C INSTRUMENTS
PRANA XLT, or PRANA LT C Trumpet (brass finish) ........................................................................ $9,900
PRANA 3 C Trumpet (brass finish).................................................................................................... $10,900
PRANA AJNA C Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................................................................ $12,500
PRANA RAJA LT C C Trumpet (brass finish)…………………………………………………………….$18,000
NEW! PRANA XLT-STC or PRANA LT-STC C Trumpet (brass finish)………………………………. $13,900
PRANA 3-STC C Trumpet (brass finish)………………….....................………………………………..$14,900
NEW! PRANA AJNA-STC C Trumpet (brass finish) ........................................................................ $16,500
NEW! PRANA RAJA AJNA-STC C Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................................. $20,000
RAJA P3-STC C Trumpet (brass finish) ............. ............................................................................ $18,000
MONETTE SPECIALTY INSTRUMENTS
PRANA 900 Series B-flat Cornet (brass finish) ... ............................................................................. $11,600
PRANA 900 Series C Cornet (brass finish)....................................................................................... $11,600
PRANA Piccolo (B-flat or A – 3 valve) or E-flat Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................. $10,900
PRANA FLUMPET™ (brass finish) ................................................................................................... $11,500
This is a partial listing of available Monette instrument models. For more information, please call.
Optional 24K brushed gold finish is available for an additional cost. Silver finish is also available with some models.
A deposit is required to place your name on the instrument waiting list. Instrument prices include a mouthpiece.
Prices do not include a case (unless specified), shipping, tax or duties. All prices are subject to change without notice.
MONETTE MOUTHPIECES
NEW! Silver Series Trumpet mouthpiece, sizes 1,2,4 and 6 ............................................................ $195
Classic Trumpet mouthpiece (available for B-flat, C, D or E-flat Trumpet, Piccolo or Cornet) ............... $252
PRANA Trumpet mouthpiece (available for B-flat, C, D or E-flat Trumpet, Piccolo or Cornet) .............. $337
PRANA Trombone mouthpiece (large or small shank)........................................................................... $330
PRANA Tuba mouthpiece....................................................................................................................... $410
Classic and Prana mouthpieces are plated with bright 24K gold.
Silver Series mouthpieces are plated with bright Silver.
Our trumpet mouthpieces are available in heavier styles for Monette trumpet clients. Please call for more information.
If you need a specialty mouthpiece, please contact our shop for price and availability.
All mouthpiece sales are final. No returns or exchanges are accepted.
ACCESSORIES
Monette Double Trumpet Case (hand sewn black leather exterior)........................................................ $655
Monette Single Hard Gig Bag (hand sewn black leather exterior) .......................................................... $625
Monette Double Mouthpiece Case (nylon exterior) ................................................................................... $28
We suggest that you use a Monette case to properly protect your investment.
David G. Monette Corporation • 6918 NE 79th Court • Portland, OR 97218 USA • (503) 255-5552 • www.monette.net
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB_93 wrote:
Ok so monettes are more expensive than I thought. even used! But I want to stray away from the title of this thread and ask about harrelson and Taylor trumpets. Anyone played these and have any comments on them?

I had a Bravura with a 3 bell and 4 lp that I played from 2009-2011 I traded up to a custom Summit One that I hope will be finished one day (10 months so far) They are great horns and if you can get the demo trumpet that has the different configurations to try you could be sure to get the set up that works for your situation. My Bravura was too open for me and too heavy for me to hold up for extended gigs. This is why I went for a #1 Lp and the lighter Summit One style for my next trumpet. I also have owned a Taylor Chicago VR 46 which I also traded to Jason in the same deal. The Taylor was more middle of the road and not as specialized as the Bravura I owned. It made a good classical trumpet that I occasionally used with the Big Band.
I loved the valves on the Taylor!
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned four different Monette models years ago and while I think they are fine trumpets I do not miss them a bit. The last one I sold for a car. I miss the car.
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
mellowjazz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazztrum wrote:
Monette Price List
SPRING 2013
PRANA MF, PRANA XLT, or PRANA LT B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................. $9,900
PRANA 3 B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) .............................................................................................. $10,900
PRANA AJNA B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) ...................................................................................... $12,500
PRANA MF-STC, PRANA XLT-STC, or PRANA LT-STC B-flat Trumpet (brass finish)................. .$13,900
PRANA 3-STC B-flat Trumpet (brass finish) .................................................................................... $14,900
RAJA P3-STC B-flat Tumpet (brass finish)……………………………………………………….. ......... $18,000
MONETTE C INSTRUMENTS
PRANA XLT, or PRANA LT C Trumpet (brass finish) ........................................................................ $9,900
PRANA 3 C Trumpet (brass finish).................................................................................................... $10,900
PRANA AJNA C Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................................................................ $12,500
NEW! PRANA XLT-STC or PRANA LT-STC C Trumpet (brass finish)………………………………. $13,900
PRANA 3-STC C Trumpet (brass finish)………………….....................………………………………..$14,900
NEW! PRANA AJNA-STC C Trumpet (brass finish) ........................................................................ $16,500
NEW! PRANA RAJA AJNA-STC C Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................................. $20,000
RAJA P3-STC C Trumpet (brass finish) ............. ............................................................................ $18,000
PRANA 900 Series B-flat Cornet (brass finish) ... ............................................................................. $11,600
PRANA 900 Series C Cornet (brass finish)....................................................................................... $11,600
PRANA Piccolo (B-flat or A – 3 valve) or E-flat Trumpet (brass finish) ............................................. $10,900
PRANA FLUMPET™ (brass finish) ................................................................................................... $11,500
This is a partial listing of available Monette instrument models. For more information, please call.
Optional 24K brushed gold finish is available for an additional cost. Silver finish is also available with some models.
A deposit is required to place your name on the instrument waiting list. Instrument prices include a mouthpiece.
Prices do not include a case (unless specified), shipping, tax or duties. All prices are subject to change without notice.

If Wynton Marsalis had not endorsed these horns early on, they would be selling for $3500-$4500 new, like the Taylors, which are good horns. It is all in the marketing and endorsement personalities that play the horn. Monettes are extremely well made trumpets, but $20,000 for a trumpet in "brass finish" (who knows what that means, raw brass, lacquered ? polished ? beaded ? Anyway, that's not the point)...But for $20,000, wouldn't you think they could graciously include the gold plating ? And "case is not included" !!! That is screwed up, if you are spending that much on a horn !

It's about getting the most you can out of a horn. I know it's free enterprise, blah, blah, blah...but at some point it is greed. Dave knows most players can't possibly afford those prices, but he doesn't care. I know they have expenses and all that, blah, blah, blah, but obviously Dave is becoming very, very wealthy with the help of Wynton's celebrity status as their main (most well known) player/endorser.

Most trumpet players won't/can't even spend that much on a car.
mellowjazz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point that I forgot to mention in my previous post, is the dynamic of raising prices by all trumpet makers since the introduction of the expensive (over-priced) Monette trumpets. The other makers saw that Monette was getting these exorbitant prices, so gradually they too started raising their prices. Sort of like Bach, when they started seeing their vintage horns selling for so much on ebay, they tried to exploit that dynamic by introducing the "Artisan" line, in hopes that making the trumpets with the older Mount Vernon specs and styling could bring in $3000+ per horn ! It's about the money !
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can price them however they want. As long as they are selling them about the same rate they can build them, it is just basic economics. It doesn't matter if they are better, worse, or 20x better than some other maker. All that matters is do they have a market for their products at their pricing? It appears that they do, regardless of who else likes it.

Sure, endorsements must help, otherwise why would any company go after endorsers?

If he could get $100,000 for them each, I'm sure he would. "Whatever the market will bear" is the way this works, like it or not. We should be thankful that all the makers haven't accomplished the same thing, or we'd be forced to play a trombone, and nobody wants that.
mellowjazz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
They can price them however they want. As long as they are selling them about the same rate they can build them, it is just basic economics. It doesn't matter if they are better, worse, or 20x better than some other maker. All that matters is do they have a market for their products at their pricing? It appears that they do, regardless of who else likes it.

Sure, endorsements must help, otherwise why would any company go after endorsers?

If he could get $100,000 for them each, I'm sure he would. "Whatever the market will bear" is the way this works, like it or not. We should be thankful that all the makers haven't accomplished the same thing, or we'd be forced to play a trombone, and nobody wants that.

Thanks for repeating what I said.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowjazz wrote:
Another point that I forgot to mention in my previous post, is the dynamic of raising prices by all trumpet makers since the introduction of the expensive (over-priced) Monette trumpets. The other makers saw that Monette was getting these exorbitant prices, so gradually they too started raising their prices. Sort of like Bach, when they started seeing their vintage horns selling for so much on ebay, they tried to exploit that dynamic by introducing the "Artisan" line, in hopes that making the trumpets with the older Mount Vernon specs and styling could bring in $3000+ per horn ! It's about the money !

I have to disagree here a bit here... Every cost have gone up:

1. Brass cost
2. Plating cost
3. Employee costs, health care, insurance premiums, retirement, payroll tax contributions, etc.
4. Facilities cost
5. All overhead costs
etc, etc, etc!

It would be great to think we could still buy a Bach for $500 but unfortunately this is just not the case anymore. If you take a look at all the major players in the game (Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, Shires, Adams, B&S, Kanstul, etc) for the most part their primary professional models are all comparably priced. Sure the prices are high but paying $2795 for a Shires or $2400 for a Kanstul is still fair in my book.

Monette can charge a billion dollars if he would like. That's the joy of a free-market economy. If you don't like it you can simply not buy it. '

I think Bach launched the Artisan for many more reasons than just money.

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowjazz wrote:

If Wynton Marsalis had not endorsed these horns early on, they would be selling for $3500-$4500 new, like the Taylors, which are good horns. It is all in the marketing and endorsement personalities that play the horn. Monettes are extremely well made trumpets, but $20,000 for a trumpet in "brass finish" (who knows what that means, raw brass, lacquered ? polished ? beaded ? Anyway, that's not the point)...But for $20,000, wouldn't you think they could graciously include the gold plating ? And "case is not included" !!! That is screwed up, if you are spending that much on a horn !

It's about getting the most you can out of a horn. I know it's free enterprise, blah, blah, blah...but at some point it is greed. Dave knows most players can't possibly afford those prices, but he doesn't care. I know they have expenses and all that, blah, blah, blah, but obviously Dave is becoming very, very wealthy with the help of Wynton's celebrity status as their main (most well known) player/endorser.

What's your definition of wealthy? There are a lot of people that have a real problem with profits, "high prices", wealth, or "greed". Monette is in business to make money, period. So is everyone in the world who runs a business. I'd suggest that you spend your time worrying about something worthwhile, rather than getting upset that a certain trumpet maker has the highest prices on the market. It seems to me that Monette's production methodology involves a lot of cost, be it materials, labor, overhead, equipment, etc. Whether his costs/efforts produce an instrument that's worthy of the "high prices" is up to you.

Like Trent said, "If you don't like it you can simply not buy it."
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see below:

mellowjazz wrote:
jazztrum wrote:
Monette Price List
SPRING 2013
MONETTE C INSTRUMENTS

If Wynton Marsalis had not endorsed these horns early on, they would be selling for $3500-$4500 new, Not true, The first horns were played by symphony musicians who really liked them and wanted them. Then as now, the trumpets are priced based on the cost to make them. like the Taylors, which are good horns. It is all in the marketing and endorsement personalities that play the horn. The people that endorse the trumpets bought them and wouldn't play them if they weren't good. Monettes are extremely well made trumpets, but $20,000 for a trumpet in "brass finish" You put that hunk of brass to your face every day and make beautiful music with it. I never spent 20,000.00 on a trumpet but, I would. That trumpet spends more time intimately attached to me than my wife. (who knows what that means, raw brass, lacquered ? polished ? beaded ? Anyway, that's not the point)...But for $20,000, wouldn't you think they could graciously include the gold plating ? And "case is not included" !!! That is screwed up, if you are spending that much on a horn ! You would think

zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Monette can charge whatever he likes. There are plenty of wonderful options for much less money. Even if Monette trumpets ARE the best in the world, I bet they are only marginally better than most other really nice pro horns. If you want to pay a lot extra for only a little better, than that is your prerogative. For my budget, a Monette makes ZERO sense. Hell, for my budget, my VR2 made ZERO sense (but I got a good deal on it, and it made me happy).

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
mellowjazz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
That trumpet spends more time intimately attached to me than my wife.

Sorry to hear that.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I must chime in one last time while we are discussing cost of trumpets. I do know that Dave puts a production number on each of his horns and I think he is at about 2600 total instruments since he started more then 30 years ago. Do the math...... I think most instrument manufacturers make more then that in 1 year. If Dave didn't charge what he does he would have been out of business years ago. I am sure his bread and butter are mouthpieces not trumpets. Oh, that's right he only makes trumpets, another reason why they cost what they do. My suggestion is to by a used one, I did and I am sure I can sell mine for what I paid over 9 years ago.
If you are wondering about my background I have been a small business owner for over 35 years and I am in manufacturing also but not musical instruments. I can tell you that it is hard to make money these days and I give it to Dave for fining his niche ant sticking with it.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you remember falling in love? people are equipped with a gut-o-meter.
take this thread. the mention of the taylor chicago lite made me go weak. if i went on andy's site, my respiration would change.
many are intellectually driven and don't key into the intuitive and emotional vein. instincts don't steer you wrong. i wonder which of you feel your entrails bunch when you see that great lover, the fine trumpet for sale.
it is not only because i will not pay the multiple premium. when i see any of the portland line,,, nary a twinge.
would love to stay and chat but feel the need to look at andy's work.
..chuck
mellowjazz

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
do you remember falling in love? people are equipped with a gut-o-meter.
take this thread. the mention of the taylor chicago lite made me go weak. if i went on andy's site, my respiration would change.
many are intellectually driven and don't key into the intuitive and emotional vein. instincts don't steer you wrong. i wonder which of you feel your entrails bunch when you see that great lover, the fine trumpet for sale.
it is not only because i will not pay the multiple premium. when i see any of the portland line,,, nary a twinge.
would love to stay and chat but feel the need to look at andy's work.
..chuck

Andy does amazing work ! That brings up an interesting point. Andy sells his horns for much less, but sells a whole heck of allot more trumpets (because of the drastic savings and similar heavy trumpet characteristics) than Dave does. Who do you think has made more money making trumpets, Dave or Andy ?
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP; I have a raw brass Taylor Chicago Lite with a .460 bore I bought new from Andy in 2007. He gives you a thousand bucks or more off right off the top if you have a standard horn to trade in (Bach, Benge, Schilke, etc.). I had a post-L.A. Benge C trumpet that I wasn't crazy about and he gave me $1100 off for it. So, I paid $3100 and a used Benge for a raw brass Taylor. At the time I was playing more jazz than legit, so the Taylor became my first horn. Recently, I have really been comparing the sound of the Taylor to my Burbank Benge, which I bought new in 1969. What I have found about my playing is that the Taylor is not as responsive as the Benge, but I can play a much darker sound on the Taylor and get it bright if I need to. However, much to my surprise and chagrin, I have found that the Benge is much easier to play, even with the larger (.464) bore, and I have more endurance. I had bought the heavier horn because, at the time, everyone was saying that you waste your energy if your horn is vibrating in your hands. Made sense to me; I'm no physicist. But, for me, it just isn't true. I am glad to be playing my Benge full time again. I have to say that the Taylor looks cool. Andy doesn't lie. He says right on his web site that he made his horns to look like Monettes because Monettes were selling so well and the early Taylors (Bellman Brass) weren't, even though they were good trumpets. I don't think Andy has put anywhere near the time that Dave Monette put into developing trumpets, but he has copied some things other than the esthetics that seem to work for the horn. You can find Taylors used, but if you have a horn to trade in, you can get a good deal on a new one.
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: