• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette prices

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybobb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeTahoeTrpt wrote:
To the OP; I have a raw brass Taylor Chicago Lite with a .460 bore I bought new from Andy in 2007. He gives you a thousand bucks or more off right off the top if you have a standard horn to trade in (Bach, Benge, Schilke, etc.). I had a post-L.A. Benge C trumpet that I wasn't crazy about and he gave me $1100 off for it. So, I paid $3100 and a used Benge for a raw brass Taylor. At the time I was playing more jazz than legit, so the Taylor became my first horn. Recently, I have really been comparing the sound of the Taylor to my Burbank Benge, which I bought new in 1969. What I have found about my playing is that the Taylor is not as responsive as the Benge, but I can play a much darker sound on the Taylor and get it bright if I need to. However, much to my surprise and chagrin, I have found that the Benge is much easier to play, even with the larger (.464) bore, and I have more endurance. I had bought the heavier horn because, at the time, everyone was saying that you waste your energy if your horn is vibrating in your hands. Made sense to me; I'm no physicist. But, for me, it just isn't true. I am glad to be playing my Benge full time again. I have to say that the Taylor looks cool. Andy doesn't lie. He says right on his web site that he made his horns to look like Monettes because Monettes were selling so well and the early Taylors (Bellman Brass) weren't, even though they were good trumpets. I don't think Andy has put anywhere near the time that Dave Monette put into developing trumpets, but he has copied some things other than the esthetics that seem to work for the horn. You can find Taylors used, but if you have a horn to trade in, you can get a good deal on a new one.

I'm a little confused. You said the Taylor was your FIRST horn but you also mentioned the underlined horns that were clearly BEFORE that one. Am I missing something?
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You are confusing my Burbank Benge Bb with the newer Benge C that I traded in to Taylor, which became my primary (first) horn. Hope that clarifies it.
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: