• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

what is the deal with "valve alignment"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
crzytptman wrote:
I have never known anyone who has reversed a PVA, but my experience is only with Reeves and Oakes.

I know of one, an orchestral player, who had it done to a Yamaha artist C. Didn't like the results at all. I think Reeves did it for him. He spoke to Yamaha's pro shop people about it, and they said it was understandable. Apparently they were of the opinion that they set the alignment up a particular way to make the horn work best that way.

Somehow (I don't know or pretend to understand the details) a conventional valve alignment somehow took something away from the horn. He had the PVA reversed and has been happy with it since then.

Note: I am not claiming this is true for most, or even any other model trumpets. But it is the only example I have encountered of someone actively disliking the results of a PVA.

Good point, Randy. SOME imperfection is not only tolerable, but desireable. WItness the coils sold to disrupt minor wave patterns in tubes, and the very design of some valve sets. Some flow straight thru, 1 to 2 to 3 (or 3-2-1), others re-route the air path a bit. This is well-advetised esp with flugelhorns.

And flugels are mostly what? Small bore. Where a little cusp of overlap matters more.

Same with my 28A long cornet. 0.438 bore. After a PVA by Jim Becker at Osmun Music, I no longer had to fight the horn. Prior to, some notes just felt weird. Almost out of tune. It was more work to play, and my ear could tell as well.

Now, what about situations where the mfgr intends a little extra resistance, a bit of pertubation in the piston/valve area? My answer: they built it, they know.
Venturi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A key issue about PVAs and whether they accomplish anything or not is how far out of alignment a horn's valves are to begin with.

The more "out" a valve is to begin with, the more likely a PVA will provide some benefit.

Perhaps some THers can post their "out-of-alignment" measurements (typically given by techs in fractions or an inch for each valve) beforehand and how the horn's playing changed following alignment.

An easy experiment to get some perspective on all this is to play a horn with a valve pressed just a fraction of an inch or so and see what that does.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think PVAs were not important and the benefits were non-detectable by myself...an amateur player, however, I was wrong.

I had Bob Reeves align the valves on my...

Besson Brevete by Kanstul (After Jason Harrelson added his 909 mod with new top caps and buttons)

Kanstul "Master" Cornet

Getzen Genesis

Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn

Kanstul 1510 C Trumpet

In one of my older posts, I documented the dimensions regarding the out of alignment for both upstroke and down stroke.

I can honestly say, I could tell the difference in the way the horns played and sounded after the alignments.

With one of my horns, after Bob measured the out of alignment on all (3) valves he asked me "What is your worst playing and sounding valve combination on your horn?

I responded..."#2 & #3 Down" I told him that combination always sounded "strained" to me.

He then immediately turned over the piece of paper with the measurements and I saw #1 upstroke #2 downstroke and #3 downstroke was the highest total dimensional combination for being out of alignment.

After the alignment, I played my horn in front of Bob and all notes played and sounded very much even and alike.

When Bob heard me play he stated..."The notes are as even as they are on a Piano."

That is when I got a better understanding of the importance of a PVA.

It is also important to note that during all of my visits to Bob's shop, he educated me beyond belief regarding the valve alignment experiments he conducted with the many pros he worked with.

This included him explaining how he prioritizes the critical ports, compensated for holes in the valves that would not perfectly align with the corresponding tubing etc. etc. etc.

The education alone was worth the cash.

Guys like him won't be around forever therefore it is important that we respect them and learn as much as we can from them.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan O'Donnell wrote:
I used to think PVAs were not important and the benefits were non-detectable by myself...an amateur player, however, I was wrong.

I had Bob Reeves align the valves on my...

Besson Brevete by Kanstul (After Jason Harrelson added his 909 mod with new top caps and buttons)

Kanstul "Master" Cornet

Getzen Genesis

Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn

Kanstul 1510 C Trumpet

In one of my older posts, I documented the dimensions regarding the out of alignment for both upstroke and down stroke.

I can honestly say, I could tell the difference in the way the horns played and sounded after the alignments.

With one of my horns, after Bob measured the out of alignment on all (3) valves he asked me "What is your worst playing and sounding valve combination on your horn?

I responded..."#2 & #3 Down" I told him that combination always sounded "strained" to me.

He then immediately turned over the piece of paper with the measurements and I saw #1 upstroke #2 downstroke and #3 downstroke was the highest total dimensional combination for being out of alignment.

After the alignment, I played my horn in front of Bob and all notes played and sounded very much even and alike.

When Bob heard me play he stated..."The notes are as even as they are on a Piano."

That is when I got a better understanding of the importance of a PVA.

It is also important to note that during all of my visits to Bob's shop, he educated me beyond belief regarding the valve alignment experiments he conducted with the many pros he worked with.

This included him explaining how he prioritizes the critical ports, compensated for holes in the valves that would not perfectly align with the corresponding tubing etc. etc. etc.

The education alone was worth the cash.

Guys like him won't be around forever therefore it is important that we respect them and learn as much as we can from them.

Out of the five I am surprised the Getzen needed an alignment...how far out was it?

Walter
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of the five I am surprised the Getzen needed an alignment

Not me. I also wouldn't be surprised at the amount of excess solder in the leadpipe/tuning slide. It would be nice if I'm wrong.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember how far the valves were out of alignment and I can't find the form Bob gave me with the data.

For those TH members who can't understand why top quality pro horns have this issue...you need to understand that there are several dimensions with acceptable tolerances on several components that create the alignment between the valves and the tubing.

The top button, valve stem, top valve cap, diameter of port holes and position of port holes on the barrel of the valve etc. not to mention the diameter and location of the corresponding tubing in the Trumpet all stack up to create the amount of alignment (or misalignment) a valve has within the valve block.

It doesn't take too many dimensions...on very many components to create the misalignment.

When ALL horn manufacturers manufacture a horn, none of their valves are perfectly aligned due to the allowable tolerances needed due to inherent variation in even the best manufacturing processes.

IF they desire to have the valves perfectly aligned, they too must perform a PVA AFTER creating the critical dimensions on both the valves and the valve blocks prior to sending the horn to their customers which is an added cost to the manufacturer and many players are not willing to pay for it.

As for excess solder in the leadpipe and tuning slide...based on a Bore Scope...there was none.

This issue is easily avoidable in the manufacturing environment and if not avoidable it is certainly detectable and corrected prior to shipping to the customer.

As a Quality Control expert for (30)+ years with a Fortune 500 corporation and after spending several days at both Getzen's and Kanstul's manufacturing facility reviewing their Quality Systems and Process Controls, I can assure you, these guys are really good at what they do...create high quality Trumpets!

Bugler90
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question; once alignment is done will you do that every two, four years? Or will it be a one time deal? I'm only guessing that it can be done more than once.

Luis
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use a hard material (unlike felt) there is no need to have them re-aligned for MANY years.

If you use a felt like material (above and below the valve cap), it will compress over time therefore there will be a need to adjust both the downward and upward stroke.

Note: The harder material feels a little different and is know to be just a little louder than felt however, it has a "positive stop" feel which helps to properly position the valves each time you depress and release them.

Check out Bob Reeves website for more information.

Bugler90
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info, I will check Reeves info on valve alignment.

Luis
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preach, Brother Dan!

Glad to hear about the leadpipe/slide.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan O'Donnell wrote:

IF they desire to have the valves perfectly aligned, they too must perform a PVA AFTER creating the critical dimensions on both the valves and the valve blocks prior to sending the horn to their customers which is an added cost to the manufacturer and many players are not willing to pay for it.

As for excess solder in the leadpipe and tuning slide...based on a Bore Scope...there was none.

As a Quality Control expert for (30)+ years with a Fortune 500 corporation and after spending several days at both Getzen's and Kanstul's manufacturing facility reviewing their Quality Systems and Process Controls, I can assure you, these guys are really good at what they do...create high quality Trumpets!

Dan I appreciate your candid and frank view of PVA. You say the manufacturers are really good....I believe you. The question that always bothers me is "What do the manufacturers have to say about letting horns out the door that are not perfectly aligned"? The valves are crucial to a good experience when playing the trumpet.

As an example do Kanstul offer an alignment service for their new horns for those who are prepared to pay extra?

I am sure you can see where I am coming from... I am convinced that people buying a new horn would feel the new product should not need a PVA..extra cost or not. I would guess the manufacturers feel their horns are fit for purpose and the need for alignment is driven by independent after sales marketing.

At the end of the day the question that affects everyone reading this thread is. Does my horn in all honesty need a PVA? I do appreciate how older horns might be improved by this service....

From a practical point I don't like the feel or the clunky sound of the harder material used....

Walter
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd chime in with my experiences with PVAs and Bob Reeves. I've had it done with most of my horns and in each case it's made an improvement- with some a very big improvement. For me, it's made the horns more even in tone, feel and intonation every time. I now end up getting a better sound with less work.

The way it's been explained to me by a few horn techs- many new horns are mass manufactured at factories that don't spend the time or money to do a thorough valve adjustment check, and older horns will either have worn pads or incorrect ones. Bob will not only make pads with the correct size, but will machine the valves and/or ports if need be.

While it's true that getting a PVA can sometimes change the resistance of your horn a bit, they feel it's better to have a instrument that is more resonant and even up and down the horn, and adjust the resistance with your mouthpiece if need be (throat etc.). I also agree with that assessment.

Anyway, it's worked well for me-the good thing about having Bob Reeves do it is that they keep excellent records of all the horns they give a PVA. If you don't like it they can revert the horn to it's state beforehand.

Just me 2 cents :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a US maker who sells trumpets in C and Bb with Blackburn lead pipes and a PVA?
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: what is the deal with "valve alignment"? Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't like it they can revert the horn to it's state beforehand.

I've had Reeves and Tanabe do PVA's on my horns in the past. Not sure about Tanabe but I know for a fact that Reeves does a major part of the alignment by machining the stems , etc. Once he alters/machines these parts there is no way to "put the alignment back to it's original state" unless you purchase all new parts and felts that he cut. At least this is what he (Reeves) told me!

Butch
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connicalman wrote:
Isn't there a US maker who sells trumpets in C and Bb with Blackburn lead pipes and a PVA?

That would be Sonare Winds.

mc
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trumpet is ever going to have perfect alignment of every port on every valve. Technology has not progressed to the point where there are no dimensional tolerances in manufacturing. With each step forward in machining, we may get closer and produce products that have smaller variances, but there are still inconsistencies.

That said, it is not only important for an instrument to have the valves aligned, but it is just as important that the technician who performs it choose the best pattern of misalignment, as well. This has been written about before where one tech does the work and the horn plays worse, but another tech, who is familiar with that specific model trumpet, realigns the valves and the horn plays far better.

Pad material is very important. No one in the industry disputes that Bob Reeves has the best pad material. Its composition is Bob's most closely guarded secret. Other materials have problems with noise and/or dimensional stability over time and exposure to certain valve oils, so the player may have to put up with some slapping and, in some cases, pads may need to be replaced every few years.

I have had two trumpets aligned by Flip Oakes. Both needed some machining done to certain parts in order to arrive at a good alignment solution. Both horns played noticeably better with the alignment (or realignment in the recent case of my WT) than they did before. In the case of my Benge, I didn't really notice any increase in noise. As to my Wild Thing, the pads Flip originally installed were affected by oil, as I described above, so he redid his work with a material that is more stable, if a little noisy. Still, the bit of slap is only noticeable to me, the player. The horn came back playing fantastically.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butch, you're right about that.

When I had the guys at Bob Reeves Brass do a PVA for me the first time, they said if requested, they could restore the misalignment in regards to up and down stroke. Any machining of course couldn't be undone. They also mentioned that out of all the horns they've done a PVA on, only a very few ever wanted it the way it was before hand- I've been happy each time myself.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: