• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pitch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetlover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a type IV player and I was wondering if type IV's have a tendency to play sharp? One thing I think I have noticed is that as I get fatigued I play sharp. How long can fatigue last? Is it possible for fatigue to last all the way into the next playing day? What can one do if they are fatigued but still need to play in ensembles? Sorry for so many questions.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this many times in the past and used to experience it myself. Invariably, it's due to pulling at the corners. Even if you are trying hard not to use a "smile" embouchure you no doubt are and it's getting more pronounced as you tire. Then, as you pull more at the corners you start to go sharp. Best regards, Kyle
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a type IV player and I was wondering if type IV's have a tendency to play sharp? One thing I think I have noticed is that as I get fatigued I play sharp.

This is normal.

How long can fatigue last?

Short answer:
These are very general rules.
upsteam players can play longer but need a longer rest period than downstream players.

Is it possible for fatigue to last all the way into the next playing day?

Depends on if you are swollen and how fatigued you were from the day before.
Yes, it could be possible.

What can one do if they are fatigued but still need to play in ensembles?

There are so many possible answers to this that I could not tell you which answer or answers are correct without seeing you play.
(Dave S. video lesson)

Sorry for so many questions.
There are NEVER to many questions.
WEG
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, TL. How are things going? I have a few thoughts, being more familiar with your playing than anyone else here (for those of you who don't know, TL was a student of mine).

Quote:
I've seen this many times in the past and used to experience it myself. Invariably, it's due to pulling at the corners.

I don't ever recall seeing you resort to a smile embouchure, but it wouldn't hurt for you to check that in a mirror.

Quote:
These are very general rules.
upsteam players can play longer but need a longer rest period than downstream players.

Bill, I don't have access to my "Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" right now, but my recollection is that upstream embouchures have a tendency to play long periods of time, but need more frequent, shorter rest periods. Downstream type players, on the other hand, tend to need fewer rest periods, but need to rest for longer periods of time.

Anyone have access to the "Encyclopdia" that can confirm/deny that?

TL, I'd recommend you check a couple of things.

1. When practicing be sure that you're keep more weight on the lower lip than upper lip - without receding the position of your lower jaw while doing so (shouldn't be hard for you with your long lower jaw). The upper lip is more prone to swelling and digging in to your upper lip, especially while using your ascending pivot type 2, can cause some endurance troubles.

2. Don't over-pivot. Be sure you're doing the Pivot Stabilizer and Track Routine daily. Find the core of the sound and use that as your judge for how much pivot you should employ. Remember, the eventual goal of the pivot is a lip pucker. The more your embouchure progresses the less motion your pivot is likely to make.

What does your new teacher say about this? You might consider taking a video lesson with Dave Sheetz. I took one, as you might recall, and found it very helpful for me. Dave's very good at getting right to the heart of your difficulties, even problems you might not realize you have!

Keep us posted!

Dave W.
Docpivot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some key points directly from the “The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System – for all cupped mouthpiece brass instruments,” chapter five, question number 104 – “What are some of the common pitfalls experienced by the lower mouthpiece placement groups (upstream types)?”

“3. The tendency to smile throughout all normal playing, rather than use the all-important lip pucker (especially while ascending), is often a common malady among this group of performers.”

“6. Generally speaking, upstream types require more frequent rest periods than downstreams types; however, upstream performers are capable of enormous playing stamina, if these rests are executed with some degree of regularity.”

“7. Strained, swollen lips often cause extraneous overtones, rattles, and fuzz throughout the middle register of the upstream performer. This form of playing strain is often called the “type four rattle.”

“8. Upstream types generally sound more brilliant, but less resonant, than the downstream types. This is one of the reasons why the performers in the symphonic field are rarely of the upstream variety.”

Trumpetlover – I am a Type IV and ditto to Dave Wilken’s comments.

I would add to his comments by saying that you are definitely over doing it If your chops are tired when you pick up the horn the next day. Do not play on tired, fatigued swollen lips. Your chops are talking to you so do not ignore them. As Doc would say, build up do not tear down.” You have to learn to pace yourself. If the gig is that strenuous either shorten (or temporarily eliminate) your practice periods. Use your practice periods to balance the type of playing required on the gig. For example, if the gig requires loud staccato playing, practice legato pianissimo (ala “Donald Reinhardt’s Selection of Concone Studies”).

I cannot emphasize enough, the importance pacing yourself.

Mike B.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say two things;

To quote Doc;"Get up from the table while you are still hungry."

And secondly, try using something on your chops before going to bed. Arnica gel (available in most health food stores) or this new stuff I've been using lately called "Zacks Crack Creme". its really good.

Chris
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to take care of "tired" lips, has anyone ever tried Zaja's CHOPS TIC (Topical Injury Cream)? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I've also read about some of the ointment's the Dr. Reinhardt used to recommend, but can't seem to find them anywhere...are they still made?

Blessings,
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“3. The tendency to smile throughout all normal playing, rather than use the all-important lip pucker "

“7. Strained, swollen lips "

Keep in mind that these two maladies are so interelated. The smile, even a modest one that doesn't show up much visually, but shows up in the pitch, then causes the lip pressure that causes the swollen lips. When playing is done correctly, no swelling will occur at all. Best regards, Kyle
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep in mind that these two maladies are so interelated. The smile, even a modest one that doesn't show up much visually, but shows up in the pitch, then causes the lip pressure that causes the swollen lips. When playing is done correctly, no swelling will occur at all.

Very true, Kyle, but incomplete. A smile embouchure isn't the only cause of lip swelling and lip swelling isn't the only cause of fatigue (but I will agree that they are some of the most common I've seen).

Some other causes of lip swelling include excesive pressure without a smile, and a habit of using the top lip as a "meat hook." As Trumpetlover is a Type IV embouchure he utilizes Pivot 2. When players of this pivot type ascend they often have the tendency to dig into the upper lip with the mouthpiece, causing the upper lip to swell and fatigue to set in. This can happen without any smiling embouchure at all.

Having taught Trumpetlover privately before my recent move, I can be resonably certain that his fatigue problems aren't being caused by smiling (but again, TL, check this in a mirror and ask your new teacher if he notices this as well).

Thanks for reminding us about the smiling embouchure troubles, Kyle. It is never a bad thing to double check for things like that!

Dave W.
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, To be clear, I never suggested that smiling is the only cause of lip swelling. In fact, there are many causes of lip abuse and swelling. However, as I did point out in my last post, it is always a sign that something is wrong as swelling never accompanies a properly set up and developed embouchure, unless it's being abused, of course.

However, the original poster has another problem that greatly clarifies his particular scenario, the only scenario that I commented on; he pulls sharp when he tires. My posts point out that his two problems go hand-in-hand. Pulling at the corners causes the tuning issue and is at least one of the primary culprits causing the swelling. There are probably a number of other errors that lead to his swelling too. Without seeing or hearing him, I wouldn't venture a guess what they are. But, the first issue is easy as he hears it himself. Best regards, Kyle
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy, is this your personal opinion or are you talking about the teachings of Donald S. Reinhardt?

-Brendan
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan, Check my previous post, 2nd post in the thread. Best regards, Kyle
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle, I think the confusion about your advice arose from your sentence, "Invariably, it's due to pulling at the corners. Even if you are trying hard not to use a "smile" embouchure you no doubt are and it's getting more pronounced as you tire."

"Invariably" implies that the smile embouchure is the only cause of fatigue and pitch troubles. I have worked with Trumpetlover for a year privately, and taught him Pivot System materials. I don't believe his problems are caused by a smiling embouchure unless he's developed it since I last worked with him.

One thing Dr. Reinhardt taught about the Type IV and IVA embouchures is that their greatest enemy can be movement. In other words, TL, don't over pivot. I also recall working with you on keeping your horn angle consistent while inhaling and not crashing your mouthpiece on your lips on every initial attack. That may cause swelling and fatigue as well.

For your pitch troubles you may want to work on the Spider Web Routine and find the core of the sound for each pitch. Let the pitch settle where it should, regardless of intonation for the moment. If you're pinching the pitch up and playing sharp you may be squeezing the notes high instead of finding the core of the sound.

TL, how's it going? It's time for an update on your progress. Have you watched your mouth corners for a smile? Are you still changing the horn angle on inhalations? Are you playing the Pivot Stabilizer and Spider Web daily and finding the core of the sound, being careful to not over-pivot?

Dave W.
tptguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

<<"Invariably" implies that the smile embouchure is the only cause of fatigue and pitch troubles.>>

Though I will be happy to reiterate what I did say I should, once again, clarify what I didn't say. I never suggested that the smile embouchure is the only cause of fatique. And surely, I did not say that the smile embouchure is the only cause of pitch problems. However, I did say that I've "invariably" found that the specific situation that the original poster described, i.e. he pulls sharp as he tires, is caused by pulling at the corners. Later, I stated that pulling at the corners increases pressure and causes lip swelling so the two do go hand-in-hand; swelling follows pulling. But, I made no points about scenarios other than the precise one originally described. If you've found other issues that cause precisely his stated problem, I'm sure he'll appreciate hearing your feedback. But I'll repeat my findings once again: if you pull sharp as you tire then you are pulling at the corners. And, if you pull at the corners then you can expect swelling to follow soon after. Best regards, Kyle
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up, Kyle.

According to the "Encylopdia of the Pivot System," here are some of the disadvantages in the smile system of playing:

1. marked limitations in range, power, flexibilty, and endurance
2. sluggish tonguing
3. an insecure attack
4. variations in tonal timbre between slurred and tongued notes
5. intonation inconsistencies (my italics)
6. excessive embouchure swelling (ditto)
7. excessive mouthpiece pressure (etc.)
8. excessive mouthpiece movement when tonguing in the lower register
9. an over-all nasalness in the high register
10. an over-balanced attack
11. a nervous insecure feeling
12. too much time required to maintain it.

(Encyclopedia, p. 176)

Kyle, this certainly supports your suggestion to watch for the smiling embouchure with the trouble TL described. TL, do you notice any of the other difficulties described above when you get fatigued? Either way, be sure you're doing the Trio of Playing Calisthenics daily. The buzzing routine in particular can be very useful for ridding yourself of any smiling habit you may have slipped into.

While I'm at it, let me quote Dave Sheetz's article "Quirks of the Types," which should offer some further suggestions for TL to check:

Quote:
Type IV

Here we have many "quirks".  The head down, often to excess, and dropping the horn level while inhaling and crashing the mouthpiece back on his lips for the next phrase, to name a few.  A very common error that this "Upstream" type makes is not learning to read "between their arms".  With such a high horn angle, and with needing to keep movement to a minimum on such a critical placement, too much distortion occurs in the embouchure formation by "blowing down", or to the side of the music stand.  This even further encourages the unwanted "head down" position.  also, the IV most times has a "jelly fish" grip on the valve casing and approaches the lip in such a loose, wishy-washy manner that without quick reflexes (which go away with age) too many notes would be splattered, especially on initial attacks.

As I commented before, in our lessons and here, Trumpetlover, you should watch out for this tendency to crash the mouthpiece back on to your lips while inhaling. I believe that this may be the cause of your lip swelling, which then forces you to resort to more mouthpiece pressure. Although I don't recall seeing this written anywhere by Reinhardt, I've noticed that excessive pressure alone can bring the pitch up, without even needing to bring the mouth corners back into a smile. Try playing a middle C and increase the mouthpiece pressure. When I do this the pitch gets noticably sharp. Don't mess with that too much, just enough to check and see if that's your case as well.

I've come across the following notes from Reinhardt that may also help you:

1. Upper lips will always swell and be much more sensitive to pain than the lower lip. Therefore, the lower lip should take the blunt and weight of playing.

2. Don't let the horn chase you means if you need more pressure for the high register, use a foward pressure from your protuding (forward) jaw. Don't dig or bring the horn closer into your face.

3. Always place the mouthpiece from top to bottom - never the reverse! Place north to south side.

4. When you're tired hold your horn up - elbows off your chest and stomach.

5. After "correctional procedures" have been accomplished and "you have the thing together," always strive to strike the core of center of the intended sound and then, and only then, with split-second timing, make the necessary pitch adjustments. If these two factors are reversed, you will not achieve solidity of sound or a stable pitch. This does not mean that "you should not hear a note before you play it" - but, if you do not have solidity of sound, what pitch are you going to correct in the first place?

Lastly, when you feel yourself getting fatigued and the intonation starting to suffer, TL, try switching to nose inhalations to see if you can avoid changing the horn angle and crashing the mouthpiece down on your lips.

How 'bout an update? How's your progress?

Dave W.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through some of the videos I took of your playing, TL, and looked for a smile embouchure. It's not noticeable on any of the ones I kept, but it's possible you've developed this habit since then, or switch to it when you get fatigued. Check for it to be certain, but I believe the cause of your troubles to be elsewhere.

http://www.unca.edu/~dwilken/videos/tpt_week_2_triple_range.MPG

Dave W.
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave W;
Is it possible to see a close up from the front of TL doing the Pivot Stabilizer?
WEG
tptguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Over the past few years I've gotten my formerly really messed up embouchure pretty well fixed. So now, when I'm fatigued I don't get any of the problems that you list. However, I used to get all of them! :>) Now, when I get fatiqued my very top note or two will shut off. Actually, I use a mouthpiece designed to shut off when the embouchure goes wrong, so that has helped me a lot. Regardless, a few seconds off the horn and I'm ready to go right back up and I can keep doing it for hours. I no longer get any swelling and by using the pitch cues I've stopped even the tiny traces of pulling at the corners. Best regards, Kyle
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle,

Even though you studied with Doc many years ago, you told me that you now use Callets "Super Chops" embouchure.

Callet preaches no corner tension ( or very little) at all, which is exactly the polar opposite of Reinhardts teachings.

You must remember Doc talking about firm mouthcorners, and lots of buzzing to strengthen them.

I play with very firm mouthcorners "locked down" onto my eye teeth. I have excellent pitch and endurance, and can play to my very highest notes at the end of a hard four hour engagement.

I will agree that "smiling" (pulling the corners back towards your ears) is absolutely wrong, but strong firm mouthcorners are a MUST in the Pivot System.

Chris
tptguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, If you review my posts on this thread I don't think you'll find that I've said a single thing about firm corners. My part in the discussion has always been strictly about pulling at the corners. Again referring to the original post, the thread was about a player going sharp as he fatigues. In my experience, this is due to pulling at the corners. As I say, no mention or discussion about tight corners at all. - Best regards, Kyle

[ This Message was edited by: tptguy on 2003-09-18 12:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: