• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1967 Olds Recording - nickel silver leadpipe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: 1967 Olds Recording - nickel silver leadpipe? Reply with quote

Hello,

As a result of this original post, I got myself a 1967 Olds Recording.

This is a very beautifully designed horn and it feels really great in my hands. Awesome player!

It's not cosmetically perfect (just a few dings, and about 30% of the lacquer is off) but there is no mechanical problems whatsoever with it. The valves are particularly good, considering its age!

The thing is I usually see pictures of Olds Recodings from this era with the rose Re-O-Loy (or copper?) leadpipe. My Recording has what seems to be a nickel-silver leadpipe.

Was this a custom option or it became a standard feature at a certain point?

Thanks.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime between 1966 and 1970 Olds changed the Recording leadpipe from Rey-O-Loy to nickel silver.
WTplayer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I've had 9 Olds Recordings yet. From my experience I would say the nickel silver leadpipe became standard some time in 1967. I owned an early 1967 Recording that still had the Re-O-Loy leadpipe and an early 1968 that had a nickel silver leadpipe. All 1966 Recordings I've ever seen had Re-O-Loy leadpipes and all 1968 had nickel silver ones. However I couldn't tell any difference concerning playing. But nickel silver should actually have better corrosion resistance.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTplayer wrote:
Hello,
I've had 9 Olds Recordings yet. From my experience I would say the nickel silver leadpipe became standard some time in 1967. I owned an early 1967 Recording that still had the Re-O-Loy leadpipe and an early 1968 that had a nickel silver leadpipe. All 1966 Recordings I've ever seen had Re-O-Loy leadpipes and all 1968 had nickel silver ones. However I couldn't tell any difference concerning playing. But nickel silver should actually have better corrosion resistance.

Thank you. This information was very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: