• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke Handcraft-short review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TrentAustin"]
trumpetguy27 wrote:
PAT!!! Come to the Hang on the fourth and play my A9! (At least I REALLLLLY hope I have it by then!) AND my dubba bell horn!

We're working on it... slowly but surely our Production a9's will arrive. FYI the Adams isn't just simply a "copy". It's a modernization of the classic design. I feel in this design intonation, centering, tonal color palette, versatility, and response have improved over the classic Martin design.

I know ya are! Definitely didn't mean it as a complaint... just as an I'M ANXIOUS!!!
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
trumpetguy27 wrote:
PAT!!! Come to the Hang on the fourth and play my A9! (At least I REALLLLLY hope I have it by then!) AND my dubba bell horn!

We're working on it... slowly but surely our Production a9's will arrive. FYI the Adams isn't just simply a "copy". It's a modernization of the classic design. I feel in this design intonation, centering, tonal color palette, versatility, and response have improved over the classic Martin design.

The Handcraft is a wonderful horn too!

+1 = accurate description. Trent, you make the perfect Adams Ambassador!

Hate to bring this up, since I truly empathize with Scott, but would you have those thicker buttons for my A9 prototype? Don't think I need them, but you piqued my curiosity how they would affect the valve stroke compared to my '45 MC...no rush, get Scott his horn first. (Thanks!)
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the two horns that I have the highest interest in right now are the Handcraft and an A1. I'm entirely happy with my current equipment, but I like to move some things through the vault from time to time.

I'll try to make the hang on the 4th, but the schedule is looking kind of iffy for me.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to bring this up, since I truly empathize with Scott, but would you have those thicker buttons for my A9 prototype? Don't think I need them, but you piqued my curiosity how they would affect the valve stroke compared to my '45 MC...no rush, get Scott his horn first. (Thanks!)

the current internet convention is to misspell 'piqued'. everyone else's curiosity goes to the heights of a peak.
..chuck
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Silver HC1 that was a Demo Model from Musician Friends. Saved $700 off the current posted price. trumpet arrived in Mint Condition. Two valves were pretty stuck making me think that perhaps this trumpet sat in the Case more than it was actually played. Took some hot water to get them unstuck. Horn is immaculate. Case is a beautiful Schilke Double trumpet Case. Compared to my Schilke X3 ... this Silver Handcraft HC1 "feels" easier to play. Hard for me to describe the feel; however, it just responds extremely fast. The tone depends on the mouthpiece used (as many trumpets do in my experience). Very beautiful tone. One thing I have noticed right off is that between G and Double C I can "lean into" the note harder and it does handle everything you give it. Can Crescendo the high range and it Screams. So, like many other boutique trumpets, many tonal palettes present depending on what mouthpiece and how it is played. Gorgeous trumpet with the engraving on the Lead Pipe and Bell. Easily the best trumpet I have played thuds far (since 1969). Very glad that I pulled the trigger on this Musician Friends Deal.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, Russell.
What difference in handling the horn would you say there was because of it's XL bore?
How does it compare with Committee?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't "feel" like an extra-large bore (maybe the step bore configuration?) ... response is immediate ... very easy in the upper register. I have never played a Committee. I have owned and played a B1; S-42; X4 (Pawn Shop steal) and X3 ... this trumpet plays "easier" than them all. Response is fast.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Sun May 21, 2023 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
kurth83

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, I am expecting an X4 in the next few days, I bought because I loved the CX4 which I bought first (it also responds very well to mouthpiece choices). I am more of a symphonic player and not an upper register player, wondering how you would compare the X4 to the HC1 for that kind of playing? I have played horns that were "easier" too, it took me a while to figure out why they were easier (or at least to come up with a working theory).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: