• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mixing trumpet methods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCEjazz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Mixing trumpet methods Reply with quote

Some players have a problem with buying too many mouthpieces. I don't have that problem but I seem to buy far to many trumpet books/methods.

Right now I'm making great progress with my practice but I'm wondering if practicing multiple different methods could be harmful in the long run.

I'm currently practicing out of Claude Gordon's daily trumpet routines, Carmine Caruso's MCB, James Stamp's warm up studies, as well as standard material like Arban's, Clarke's, and Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities.

Is there anything wrong with mixing dissimilar methods or am I doing fine?
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are methods that probably shouldn't be mixed, but you aren't using any of them. And if you're having great progress, keep it up!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the conflicts that come up between methods are lip buzzing vs. non-buzzing, which tonguing syllables to use and pedal tones vs. no pedal tones to mention a few. It could be source of endless debate what concepts work best. But, ultimately, it's a matter of using whatever's working rather than doing something because some book, whose author never met you or heard you play, said to or not. If it ain't broke....
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
There are methods that probably shouldn't be mixed, but you aren't using any of them. And if you're having great progress, keep it up!

Eb

+1. Most methods have many things in common such as,scales,flexibility,long tones,arpeggio's etc.. The danger is when different methods tell you to use a specific mouthpiece setting and or embouchure.The notes by them self won't hurt,but making multiple physical changes will.
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG and CC would seem to be at odds, wouldn't they?
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got to find out what works for You.

My basic routine is Cichowizc VC1, VC2 followed by Knut Hovaldts flexibility and than Arban and finally Clark.

But I also do Stamp 2-3 times a week, when needed.

Caruso, maybe during 2-3 weeks once a year.

Schlossberg, when no gig is coming up.

C Gordon, maybe 2-3 times a month.

But You got to find a basic routine that works, I have no trouble mixing but I been practicing this way since 1995....
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all books are methods and some methods make use of the exercises in many books. I've studied with a notable student of several great masters including Jimmy Stamp and Claude Gordon. For any given week my daily routine consisted of...
Stamp
Schlossberg
Clarke
Harris
Bai Lin
St Jacome
Goldman
Charlier
Irons

It is true that some aspects of other methods (TCE, BE,...) at times were at odds with the approach I was taught.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BPL wrote:

Ish?
CC's principles basically only apply to its session - play normally otherwise. So I don't think it would interfere too much if you separate the two.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"CG and CC would seem to be at odds, wouldn't they?"

Philosophically, yes. If you immersed yourself in one or the other I could see a problem. But just playing exercises as excerpts, no.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BPL wrote:

From the Caruso perspective, not at all. CC is complementary and works in tandem with any other approach.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal to mix methods as in method books, exercises, etudes etc.....Pedagogy is another matter all together different. I would not mix embouchure techniques at all. You can not serve two master's that is why you do not see marathon runners snatch 800lbs. at the finish line. That said many techniques are come together to make up a family of specific types of embouchure training. Inside of each family they have their own techniques, their own bias and their own approach to structure. They all though are aimed at playing the same music, the same scales, the same instrument. So you have to be clear what you mean by "method". It is unfortunate but true that the language w use in music is about as crude as a cave mans club because it is not specific enough in many cases. The word "method" can mean to one person just a collection of exercises arranged in a given order but to someone else it can mean something music more radical like how you use the "structure" of your body lips,bone,muscle, connective tissue to produce specific vibratory states.

The problem is not English based it is basic to the entire world of music that has failed to clearly define things. So as I understand you you are saying you playing different exercises out of different method books. Is this correct? If so then how could you possible have any issues? On the other hand if you trying to combine different pedagogy styles of embouchure formation or mechanics I would say stop now before you do some serious damage!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: