• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My Fragile Trumpet Player ego.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: My Fragile Trumpet Player ego. Reply with quote

I'm wondering how other people would react in my situation. I'm leaving out details that I don't think are important.

I'm playing in a community orchestra because I want the group playing time - so that I will be a better player. Beethoven is not particularly challenging outside of trying to match intonation after very long rests.

At one rehearsal the conductor commented that he "liked what he was hearing", and then we changed some dynamics from the original.

At the next rehearsal the conductor apologized that he hadn't had a chance to get someone to check over my transposed copy - it was originally for an Eb trumpet, and I wanted someone to check for my mistakes.

The next feedback I got was from a local posting saying "Symphony TRUMPET NEEDED" (his all-caps, not mine). I emailed (his preferred method) him about the posting, but haven't gotten a reply.

I'm thinking that he isn't being honest with me about the areas I need to improve, and I'm wondering about the benefit to me playing under a conductor with poor communication skills.

You-all's opinion?
Gary.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My Fragile Trumpet Player ego. Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
I'm wondering how other people would react in my situation. I'm leaving out details that I don't think are important.

I'm playing in a community orchestra because I want the group playing time - so that I will be a better player. Beethoven is not particularly challenging outside of trying to match intonation after very long rests.

At one rehearsal the conductor commented that he "liked what he was hearing", and then we changed some dynamics from the original.

At the next rehearsal the conductor apologized that he hadn't had a chance to get someone to check over my transposed copy - it was originally for an Eb trumpet, and I wanted someone to check for my mistakes.

The next feedback I got was from a local posting saying "Symphony TRUMPET NEEDED" (his all-caps, not mine). I emailed (his preferred method) him about the posting, but haven't gotten a reply.

I'm thinking that he isn't being honest with me about the areas I need to improve, and I'm wondering about the benefit to me playing under a conductor with poor communication skills.

You-all's opinion?
Gary.

I'm not completely following you.

Are you saying that the conductor liked what he was hearing from you at one rehearsal and then posted an advertisement for your replacement after you asked him to check your transcription of a part?

I'd say give him a call or speak with him face to face before/after your next rehearsal and figure things out.

Too much room for error in e-mail.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: My Fragile Trumpet Player ego. Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:
Are you saying that the conductor liked what he was hearing from you at one rehearsal and then posted an advertisement for your replacement after you asked him to check your transcription of a part?

Not quite.

Step one was ask for help checking the part (Everything is from IMSLP - I thought he understood that a 2nd pair of eyes would be helpful).
Step two was playing with un-checked part (and hearing the comment).
Step three was reminding him about the transcription.
Step four was seeing the posting.

He's a college teacher - pretty private about his phone number(s).

G.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what part you were playing from.

Did you ever get an original - as in the part everyone else in the group was playing from?

What's the primary instrument of the conductor? Often those who are not brass players don't understand orchestral brass parts and their transpositions/realities.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
I don't understand what part you were playing from.

Did you ever get an original - as in the part everyone else in the group was playing from?

What's the primary instrument of the conductor? Often those who are not brass players don't understand orchestral brass parts and their transpositions/realities.

The music was "handed out" by emailing an IMSLP link. On IMSPL I found the Eb trumpet parts. I entered those into musescore (as Eb Cornet) then had musescore transpose it to Bb. I asked the conductor to check that my Eb capture matched the IMSLP pdf. There are multiple versions on IMSLP - I did get him to verify that I was starting from the right one. Scores downloaded from IMSLP do have their challenges.

The conductor is a piano player. A reasonably competent one from what I've heard.

So... I'm reacting to the communication issues. No critical feedback, but it seems that he's looking for someone to fill my chair?

Gary.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face to face and forget coming here. Perhaps he's looking to replace the other guy, who know? It's too bad that the higher the level of "education", the less plain language people seem to use. There's something to be said for communicating in a slightly Neanderthal manner, at least everyone knows where they stand when it's over. WTH? In cases like this (if the OP is reading things correctly), feelings are going to get bent, anyway.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Face to face and forget coming here. Perhaps he's looking to replace the other guy, who know? It's too bad that the higher the level of "education", the less plain language people seem to use. There's something to be said for communicating in a slightly Neanderthal manner, at least everyone knows where they stand when it's over. WTH? In cases like this (if the OP is reading things correctly), feelings are going to get bent, anyway.

I got a reply, but not an answer.

Posting here did help, if only because of the thought process in writing the posts.

My conclusion is this:
1) I'm taking the class because I want to be a better player.
2) Constructive criticism is essential for me to improve.
3) The teacher can't/won't provide good feedback.

A) There are more productive uses of my time.

Thanks for listening,
Gary.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really have an interest in playing in an orchestra much "down the road", you're not going to want to be spending your time entering all those Eb, F, A, C, D, etc. parts into some software and transposing them, then looking for somebody to check them for you.

It'll be painful initially, but you're far better off working through the transpositions and getting used to reading off the originals.

I had the same temptation early on, but the sheer volume of sheet music written for other keys soon made the idea overwhelming and gave in and started working on reading the parts up/down appropriately. It may surprise you how fast you catch on to it, despite the initial pain. Beethoven's trumpet writing is particularly amenable to doing this without a lot of prior transposing experience.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
It'll be painful initially, but you're far better off working through the transpositions and getting used to reading off the originals.

I agree that this is a skill I should work on. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the transposition part; I don't see it as the main issue, it's just an example of the "wrong" feedback.

Gary.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's enough information here to draw any conclusions from, but I would say that it is almost always a bad idea to ask a conductor to double-check your transposition. This is particularly true in the case of Beethoven, where there are probably only about 5 different pitches to worry about. It's certainly not unheard-of to make transposition errors when you're doing it on the fly, but you absolutely need to have the skills to double-check with 100% accuracy when you have time to sit down and work it out. I'm not saying that the conductor handled things properly, but it certainly isn't surprising that asking him to check your transposition would set off big alarm bells.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
I don't think there's enough information here to draw any conclusions from, but I would say that it is almost always a bad idea to ask a conductor to double-check your transposition. This is particularly true in the case of Beethoven, where there are probably only about 5 different pitches to worry about. It's certainly not unheard-of to make transposition errors when you're doing it on the fly, but you absolutely need to have the skills to double-check with 100% accuracy when you have time to sit down and work it out. I'm not saying that the conductor handled things properly, but it certainly isn't surprising that asking him to check your transposition would set off big alarm bells.

I thought I was asking him in his role as an instructor (it is a Freshman-level college class), not as a conductor. You're probably right, and that makes me even more uncomfortable with the difference between apparent and actual reaction.

Gary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: