• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Upgrade Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gppl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Upgrade Advice Reply with quote

Right now, I have a Bach Soloist 310 trumpet. I've had it since I began playing trumpet in 2008, when I was in 5th grade. It's been decent enough for a while, but now that I'm a sophomore in HS marching band, I've outgrown it. It's probably been that way for a year or two, but I'm just now realizing it. Last week, my trumpet was in the shop for some welding (Middle bracket came loose) and cleaning. I got a loaner trumpet, a "King" of some sort. The tone quality seemed slightly worse than my normal trumpet (not a big deal in marching band), but it was much easier to hit higher notes.
I'm also dissatisfied with how cheap my trumpet feels, as it's made in China. Another concern is that I'm thinking the model number in my documentation may be wrong, I can't seem to find any information on my model online.
Therefore, I'd like some advice on what I should do. Not sure what I should get. I don't think I'll need anything overly elaborate, Idt I'll play much after HS, but I'd like a upgrade for the next 2.5 years.

Thanks for reading, feedback is appreciated.
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go looking for a 1950's Conn 22B. They are great pro quality horns but can be found for bargain prices.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A properly dialed in Olds Super (gap and pva) is a beautiful thing.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the two posters above. You really don't want to risk a good horn on the field so they would be great.

Seriously, I would go for a used pro horn produced recently . Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, all great brands. The chances of having valve issues with a sixty year old trumpet are much higher than a ten year old trumpet.

Whatever you decide if you can have an accomplished player, your teacher if possible, help you select.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: