• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anchor Tongueing / TCE - is it really this easy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Anchor Tongueing / TCE - is it really this easy? Reply with quote

I've been doing method safari's for a while and settled on doing the Knevitt Ultra-crash course recently as it seems a very measured approach and builds strength long-term.

Whilst this is proving to be a valuable tool for structured practice, last week I started trying out a more forward tongue position (on a whim) and seem to have hit upon something that works for me. Not full TCE method with Spitbuzz etc but definately more forward.

If I place my tongue tip either just touching the back of my bottom teeth (I believe this is called anchor tongueing?) or between my lips (more TCE like?) I find I can play much more relaxed and my sound seems to be a lot 'clearer' (sorry for rubbish description - that's what it sounds like to me).

My endurance has been transformed within a week - I can just go through my Knevitt exercises / Clarkes etc for 30 minutes without feeling like I've played anything at all. Pretty much up to high C doesn't feel any strain like this. And articulation seems far clearer and easy. After 30 years of straining/blowing hard above the stave it's just plain weird to me.

I recorded myself (just using my phone) and there is definately a difference in my sound this way - even my wife can tell the difference and she usually hasn't a clue if I've switched mouthpieces/horns etc.

Anyone else had this experience?. I've got 4 gigs in 4 nights from tomorrow and will be seeing how this works on the job.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its easier, and you sound better, it's right.
I would advise not articulating between the lips, unless expect never to play a "legit" job (and sound like you belong there).
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the day that I moved my tongue forward, and it changed everything. Didn't solve everything, but it changed everything. It's still a challenge to get it just right everyday, but it's the way to go.

Happily,
ed
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First gig playing this way last night - big band playing mostly standards and me doing the 2nd chair and a few on lead.

Worked really well and found my lip didn't give out at all - in fact just as strong after 2 hours. Still a weird feeling not to be blasting and straining to get higher notes. Did find it more difficult to solo this way as tend to forget to do it when I'm improvising - my brain can't handle both at once yet!

Not so easy for muted/quiet playing - guess I'll need to work on this in practice a lot and Flugel work difficult this way at the moment (but only one Flugel number last night so not a priority).

Just nice to feel some real progress. Another gig tonight so fingers crossed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: