• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Prelude to Brass Playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
take2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Prelude to Brass Playing Reply with quote

Does anyone in the forum have experience with the approach Mendez suggests in the book - staying off the horn and loosening the lips in week 1 then buzzing on the mouthpiece week 2?

Has anyone done this for themself or used this approach to get a new student started or with a comeback player to get them started down the right path?

I am very curious what the results have been.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jeff
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I have a very small experience. When my son was 6 years old he wanted to play trumpet. I got him a pocket trumpet. We started making sounds with the lips. Kids are usually good at that (making car noises etc).
Then I played on the mouthpiece and had him try to copy. He soon was able to play short easy tunes on his mouthpiece. Then of course I had to let him try the trumpet.

There are several who started on mouthpiece alone. Here is a quote from Jules Levy:
Quote:
"About five years previous to my becoming the proud owner of a Cornet, I procured a mouthpiece which I kept constantly pressed to my lips."

Mendez had his twin sons start on mouthpiece first.

Vincent Cichowicz had his son, Mike, start on mouthpiece. (There is an interview on Bob Reeves "The other side of the Bell" where Michael Cichowicz talks about this)

Perhaps Dave Hickman can say more about Mendez sons etc?

Ole
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, OJ. I have nothing to add.

Jules Levy played only a mouthpiece for a couple of years as a boy. He watched a cornet player play in a pit orchestra, and turned pages for him whenever the player signaled. So, one day Jules picked up the man's cornet and played one of the pieces he had been listening to every night. Everyone was astonished that he could do that simply by buzzing the mouthpiece, watching fingerings, and hearing the tune over and over.

DH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: