• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kenny Werner = Bill Adam's Approach?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Kenny Werner = Bill Adam's Approach? Reply with quote

Are many/any of you familiar with the Kenny Werner book "Effortless Mastery"?

I recently read it and it has helped me enormously to get out of my own way when playing and practicing etc.
I also noticed having just perused through some of the stickies here at the top of the Bill Adam's section, that they seem to both be talking about the same approach to music making, the Bill Adam's approach merely being more trumpet-specific.

I was just wondering if anyone on here was familiar with the book and what your thoughts were about how it relates to Adam's teaching ideas.

Seeing how similar the two are and my own personal experience of following the advice in the Werner book, it makes me really want to find a Bill Adam's teacher!
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kenny Werner = Bill Adams Approach? Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
Are many/any of you familiar with the Kenny Werner book "Effortless Mastery"?

I recently read it and it has helped me enormously to get out of my own way when playing and practicing etc.
I also noticed having just perused through some of the stickies here at the top of the Bill Adam's section, that they seem to both be talking about the same approach to music making, the Bill Adam's approach merely being more trumpet-specific.

I was just wondering if anyone on here was familiar with the book and what your thoughts were about how it relates to Adam's teaching ideas.

Seeing how similar the two are and my own personal experience of following the advice in the Werner book, it makes me really want to find a Bill Adam's teacher!

Kenny's book has also helped me reach that Zone that seems to be elusive at times....
I continue to read it when I have issues or just need some reminding of his concepts.

Long ago in the early 70's when I made my living playing trumpet, I was told by a very good singer and I quote " Your are a very good trumpet player, you just need to let go" I never understood what he meant by that statement. I dismissed it and went on in life.

Not till about 3 years ago I found Kenny's book on sale, As I was reading it !! I started to realize and made the connection between Kenny's concept and what the guest singer had told me 40 years ago.

I believe it has enhanced my approach to playing and made me a better musician. Now there is some new age stuff that I discard but the total essence of the book I believe is a must have for all those trying to find themselves as it relates to creating music........

It's not so much technical as it is a different way of thinking that I profess has changed my life as far as music goes. For me anyway, it was like a mental pill taken, understood and put into practice.......

I cannot comment on the Bill Adams approach but the little I have read about it seems very interesting..... I would not mind hooking up with a Bill Adams teacher for further exploration, now to find one close to home.
Yes ! I know I can Skype a lesson, however there is something to be said about a private one on one physical lesson.

I highly recommend this book to anybody that is searching to be one with their instrument, no matter which instrument......

Cheers Folks !!

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avan - Charley Davis in North Hollywood would be the best person for you learning about the Adam routine.

Ventura County to Noho - not that long of a drive, especially considering what you'll get in exchange.

Just about everything good in my playing is directly attributed to Charley.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Avan - Charley Davis in North Hollywood would be the best person for you learning about the Adam routine.

Ventura County to Noho - not that long of a drive, especially considering what you'll get in exchange.

Thank You Sir, I will have to investigate and make contact..

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are several parallels between the concepts in Kenny Werner's book and Bill Adam's teaching. I would not say that they are the same, but I did find Werner's book to be very helpful to me, and helped me to deepen my understanding of things that I had been told for years. In my opinion, a book which outlines Mr. Adam's relationship as a teacher to his students more clearly is Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. Check it out.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

HEAVY!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
Yes, there are several parallels between the concepts in Kenny Werner's book and Bill Adam's teaching. I would not say that they are the same, but I did find Werner's book to be very helpful to me, and helped me to deepen my understanding of things that I had been told for years. In my opinion, a book which outlines Mr. Adam's relationship as a teacher to his students more clearly is Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. Check it out.

In addition to Zen and the Art of Archery, Mr. Adam had everyone read Psychocybernetics and Inner Game of Tennis. Certainly, these have a lot in common with Effortless Mastery, Thinking Body-Dancing Mind, As a Man Thinketh and many other such works.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm fairly sure I read psychocybernetics years ago and have a vague idea what it's about but I'll give it another look.

Any Bill Adam's teachers in Australia?
PH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I know that Miroslav (Mike) Bukovsky came to Bloomington for a while to study with Mr. Adam, but I don't know if he has continued working with the concepts. I think he lives in Sydney. There may be others.
JazzRetreats.com
Viktoras

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about "Inner game of music", is "Inner game of tennis" more to the point?
PH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viktoras wrote:
What about "Inner game of music", is "Inner game of tennis" more to the point?

Inner Game of Tennis is a much better book, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the music book, but the tennis book is nearly perfect.
JazzRetreats.com
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werner's book is OK but IMO not Bill Adam. Adam's philosophy is down on the farm common sense and Werner comes from a totally different place. If you want to message me I'll go into more detail, but not on a public forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: