• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official New Getzen Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised, after all the bashing, Adam knows Kirk's name is john.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
Corsair:
Quote:
Elmwood, Wisconsin is the Alien Capital of the world, who have tossed the idea around of building a UFO landing strip.

Hah! That's a crock. Anybody who's looked into it knows that because a UFO is powered by a Gravity Drive that they don't need a landing strip. They can land on any rooftop no matter how structurally sound because in effect they weigh nothing!

On an unrelated subject, I have two Getzen Bass Trumpets that I love. They have been modified. One has a tilt bell at about the angle of the Holton Banana Horn, with an added F Rotor. The other has a removable tilt bell (painted red) set at an angle of 45 degrees, and an F Rotor...

jbq
well, someone is hogging bass trumpets!
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to a slight delay in manufacturing the new trigger and water key on the branch the model that we have at Midwest next week and give to Kiku and Nicole will be slightly different from the production model. I know this isn't exactly exciting news but I said I would let you all know if there were any differences.

Also the leadpipes that will be with the horn at the show will be our current taper and current mouthpiece. The leadpipe set will be one of the three sets available with the horn but it has not been decided if it will be the standard set included. Christan Griego is still working on our flugel mouthpiece which is why we will be using our current one.

Early next week we should have some video of our play-tester Andy demoing the horn and going over the sound and playing characteristics as well as the ergonomics. I'm sure you all would rather hear a fellow musician talk about the horn than me.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:
Not surprised, after all the bashing, Adam knows Kirk's name is john.

Yeah, and some of us know the rest of the Baumchen part too.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to the video and thanks for the new word: demoing, I love it.
corsair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing how much I like my Eterna II, I would certainly give the new one a test.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett and I will be at the Midwest show on Thursday, December 19th. We will arrive in the morning and be there throughout the day. (Weather permitting.) I will be bringing the flugel with me at that time and it will stay for the remainder of the show. The model you will get to play will differ slightly from the production model in the following ways:

1. The mouthpiece/leadpipe combo will not be what will come standard with the horn when it launches in January. We will have our current 3895 leadpipe and flugel mouthpiece for playtesting. We are still developing the three standard pipes and mouthpiece for the final model and want to put as much time into their design as possible before launch. The 3895 pipe and mouthpiece will be similar in play to the standard yellow-brass leadpipe that will come with the final model. Yes, we are still planning on manufacturing three different tapered sets. One will come standard, the other two will be available for purchase sometime after launch.

2. The waterkey on the branch will differ in both form and function. This was a last minute change on my part and because we are manufacturing it we needed the extra time to smooth out the design.

3. The third-slide trigger will be slightly different but only in detail. We are working hard to make the profile as comfortable as possible and lighten the spring tension to ease its throw.

Other than those three things everything else will be the same as the final model. The final model will be a little more dynamic when we finish the leadpipe/mouthpiece combo but the soul of the horn is there. I am very excited to hear the feedback we get from those of you that stop by to playtest it.

If you are attending be sure to stop by the Getzen booth Thursday and say hello to Brett and I. I look forward to meeting you and having you try our horns and maybe learn a little about the future of the Getzen brand and our goals for the coming year.
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one of the current Custom flugels. It's a great horn, but I have one complaint: the third slide trigger doesn't have enough range of motion. Playing low C# is a bit of an adventure and sure enough, every gig I've got this month that calls for flugel has lots of pianissimo low C#s. Is this going to be addressed on the new horn? Can't wait to try it at NAMM.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpjosh wrote:
I own one of the current Custom flugels. It's a great horn, but I have one complaint: the third slide trigger doesn't have enough range of motion. Playing low C# is a bit of an adventure and sure enough, every gig I've got this month that calls for flugel has lots of pianissimo low C#s. Is this going to be addressed on the new horn? Can't wait to try it at NAMM.

Yes. The new trigger on the 4895 Custom Reserve has more travel. When we changed the geometry of the bell and branch much of the intonation issues we initially had with it were greatly reduced. It should be noted that as we develop new models some models in the same family (in this case the 3895/896/895/595) will see some adjustments and updates. When we look at how best to evolve existing models I'll post again to get a feel for what our customer's priorities/concerns are.
2nd line G

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpjosh wrote:

Low D and C# are not an issue with the new horn. Plenty of travel on the throw. It was one of the first things I checked when we got the trigger on it.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what just got lacquered today!

And a close-up of the new valve-section.

So far so good.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

leadbell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Look what just got lacquered today!

And a close-up of the new valve-section.

So far so good.

That settles it, I need to make sure I get to try one.
'51 Buescher Aristocrat trombone
and a lamp made from a Czech "Symphony" trumpet that was beyond repair.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing looking! would be the perfect twin for my Getzen 3850 cornet!!!
can't wait to play it, Adam. Also can't say enough how awesome it has been to hear and see about the build process. Thank you!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't......stop......drooling!

I think this is next on my list of things to purchase. My ACB Doubler has been doing such a great job so far but I think it needs to be replaced.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like something conn would have put together back in the day. i don't know why it's taken all this time for someone to make bronze valve casings, yes a small detail but important and something you don't see every day. all the super heavy and braced horns fighting to distinguish themselves in the marketplace, and you wonder what the effect of a different alloy or heavier valve block would be as being perhaps more fundamental. i wonder anyway but don't pipe up what with no technical or practical experience and only an amateur's curiosity.
now if it sounds even better than it looks...
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what I just got to hear...

The horn is beautiful and is just as pleasing to listen to. When played softly it is just so sweet. Lean on it a little and the sound doesn't just get louder it fills the room. It never loses its rich mellow overtones or its smooth attack. The sound concept I had for our new fluegel is exactly what we have achieved. We've a few minor tweaks to make and will be working very hard on the leadpipes and mouthpiece in the coming weeks, but wow, what a sound.
JazzFluegel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
When we changed the geometry of the bell and branch much of the intonation issues we initially had with it were greatly reduced. It should be noted that as we develop new models some models in the same family (in this case the 3895/896/895/595) will see some adjustments and updates. When we look at how best to evolve existing models I'll post again to get a feel for what our customer's priorities/concerns are.

As a recovering engineer who studied waveguides briefly, I've always been slightly bothered by the right angles in the drop down 1st and 3rd slides configuration (not that it doesn't seem to work well enough in some manufactures); but why haven't more mfrs gone back to the horizontal strictly curved slides configuration the way Marcinkiewicz did with their Rembrandt Fluegelhorn? There was also an early Bundy that used an all horizontal configuration and tuning slide vs. leadpipe tuning. Isn't the wave disturbance much much less? and the node antinode positioning much easier to engineer? Wouldn't that facilitate playability on all counts? Thanks.

NOW, Keith Allen Pintar
Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt Cornet
Kanstul 1525 FL
1962 Conn 9A Artist Coprion
1948 Conn NY Symphony 12B Coprion
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,
Will the horn sound the same if it was finished in silver. I have been told that silver plating copper makes the sound not as nice. I am asking this because I am not a fan of lacquered instruments. But your new flugelhorn really interests me and I can't wait to try in at NAMM.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzFluegel wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:
When we changed the geometry of the bell and branch much of the intonation issues we initially had with it were greatly reduced. It should be noted that as we develop new models some models in the same family (in this case the 3895/896/895/595) will see some adjustments and updates. When we look at how best to evolve existing models I'll post again to get a feel for what our customer's priorities/concerns are.

As a recovering engineer who studied waveguides briefly, I've always been slightly bothered by the right angles in the drop down 1st and 3rd slides configuration (not that it doesn't seem to work well enough in some manufactures); but why haven't more mfrs gone back to the horizontal strictly curved slides configuration the way Marcinkiewicz did with their Rembrandt Fluegelhorn? There was also an early Bundy that used an all horizontal configuration and tuning slide vs. leadpipe tuning. Isn't the wave disturbance much much less? and the node antinode positioning much easier to engineer? Wouldn't that facilitate playability on all counts? Thanks.

There are all kinds of numbers and math that on paper will make a great horn. In practice however, not so much. I like to use this analogy:

If you are looking to get from point A to point B on a map, is there only one way to get there?

There are almost countless ways to achieve a certain sound from a horn. There is no such thing as a "golden formula" when it comes to building a musical instrument.

Edit: Lengthened my response.

Last edited by Adam R. Getzen on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 8 of 20

Jump to: