• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official New Getzen Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codyb334 wrote:
Tell me if I got this right Adam, the screw "clamp" to hold the leadpipe in place sits much closer to the valve block than a normal flugelhorn, correct? That is what I am getting by looking at it and I want to be sure I view it correctly.
Thanks!

It is very similar to the setup on our 3895. I'm not sure why this was confusing but in the future I will try to post some better pictures.
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Flugelnut's original point is correct. The outer sleeve is only connected at the valve and the outer end is unsupported until and unless the tuning bit is locked in place. Or am I still missing something?

Frank
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankM wrote:
So Flugelnut's original point is correct. The outer sleeve is only connected at the valve and the outer end is unsupported until and unless the tuning bit is locked in place. Or am I still missing something?

Frank

You are still missing something. The outer sleeve is braced to the bell bow. The squeezy-thing is toward the middle of the outer sleeve, well inside the bell bow.
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
FrankM wrote:

Frank

You are still missing something. The outer sleeve is braced to the bell bow. The squeezy-thing is toward the middle of the outer sleeve, well inside the bell bow.

Don't think so. What are you left with if you pull the tuning bit right out? Answer ( or so it would appear from the pics ) :- a collar attached to the bell, and an outer tube attached to the valve with nothing between them. No?

Frank
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest picture shows exactly what I thought would be the case. Thanks Adam.

Snapper
Troy Bilt
Poulan
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's have nicole put up a video.
KikuC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted on here in so long that I forgot my login for a minute! I'm so excited to try out the new Supersonic Getzen Magical Flugelhorn. I know, that's not the official name… but I love all of my Getzens, and if this is what I think it's going to be, it's going to kick my Custom Flugel to the curb in a heartbeat.

Interesting to read this thread. The only reason I logged in was because someone mentioned reading about me on the forum, and I couldn't leave it a mystery! Super happy that nobody was bashing me (that I could find… trumpeters can be a cruel lot!)

Anyway, happy holidays to everyone. So excited to review the new horn when I get it!

xoxo

www.kikucollins.com
www.facebook.com/NinjaPrincessKikuCollins
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam - I have a question.
I just spent 20 hours on the road, and spent much of it thinking about various things. One that came to mind was the new flugel.
How does the offset in the 1st and 3rd valve slides affect the valve ports on the valves? Does it make them more efficient? I know that when I pull the valves from most of my horns, the ports in one direction will cause 'bumps' in the other, changing the air flow. (Is what I am saying clear? I'm not entirely certain how to describe it). Does moving the slides over a few degrees eliminate or minimize that?
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KikuC wrote:
I haven't posted on here in so long that I forgot my login for a minute! I'm so excited to try out the new Supersonic Getzen Magical Flugelhorn. I know, that's not the official name… but I love all of my Getzens, and if this is what I think it's going to be, it's going to kick my Custom Flugel to the curb in a heartbeat.

Interesting to read this thread. The only reason I logged in was because someone mentioned reading about me on the forum, and I couldn't leave it a mystery! Super happy that nobody was bashing me (that I could find… trumpeters can be a cruel lot!)

Anyway, happy holidays to everyone. So excited to review the new horn when I get it!

xoxo

www.kikucollins.com

Kiku,
I'm sure Mary has told you that yours will be shipping the first week of January. Brett and I are very excited to hear your thoughts. It definitely plays/sounds even better than it looks.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
Adam - I have a question.
I just spent 20 hours on the road, and spent much of it thinking about various things. One that came to mind was the new flugel.
How does the offset in the 1st and 3rd valve slides affect the valve ports on the valves? Does it make them more efficient? I know that when I pull the valves from most of my horns, the ports in one direction will cause 'bumps' in the other, changing the air flow. (Is what I am saying clear? I'm not entirely certain how to describe it). Does moving the slides over a few degrees eliminate or minimize that?

Offsetting the slides had a marginal effect on the horns resistance. In this case the horn is slightly more "open" than the configuration on the 3895. The primary goal of this design was largely aimed at closing the grip of the horn and improving the ergonomics. The pistons are not effected by this change.

Many years ago we found that making longer pistons to separate the ports and removing the "humps" actually negatively effected the way the horn played. I'm not saying that in every case it isn't desirable, but it isn't in this one.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
KikuC wrote:

xoxo

www.kikucollins.com

Kiku,
I'm sure Mary has told you that yours will be shipping the first week of January. Brett and I are very excited to hear your thoughts. It definitely plays/sounds even better than it looks.

I too look forward to hearing Kiku's comments on this new horn.

BTW - Kiku, what flugel were you playing on your 'Red Light' album? You have such a great sound ... if that was the Getzen Custom 3895 ... well, it is hard to imagine a better sound!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update:

Next week we will be hard at work on the leadpipes and mouthpiece. Jim and I have a few ideas to really get them each to play uniquely and broaden the horn's characteristics.

We are finishing up Kiku's horn and should be shipping it early next week. I am just as excited to hear her feedback as all of you.

Nicole has had her flugel a full four days and besides a minor hiccup, (one note being flat, easy fix and might be a fluke in the first three) loves the warmth and valve action.

We are still deciding on whether or not to change the water-key on the branch. It's a minor detail but one I don't want to overlook.

The wood on the trigger is grenadella (sp) and is beautiful. The action is smooth and light.

I haven't gotten around to recording Andy on the flugel yet but will do so soon. Tomorrow or next week I will finally post the finalized specs and our overall design concept for this horn.

We may have a slight delay in regards to the case since we altered the geometry of the bell and branch.

I greatly appreciate all the interest and feedback you have shown in this project over the past month and would like to thank you for all the questions and support.
codyb334
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe TH owes YOU the thank you for sharing with us the progress on this new instrument. So thank you Adam and you and the guys at the shop have a good Christmas and Holidays!
Olds L12 Flugel
GR 67L
Monette Prana BL2 S3 XLT
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codyb334 wrote:
I believe TH owes YOU the thank you for sharing with us the progress on this new instrument. So thank you Adam and you and the guys at the shop have a good Christmas and Holidays!

Hear, hear.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, any new news on your new flugelhorn. How did your test players like the horn? Any new photos to post? I will be a NAMM this year and am looking forward being able to give it a plat test myself.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
Adam, any new news on your new flugelhorn. How did your test players like the horn? Any new photos to post? I will be a NAMM this year and am looking forward being able to give it a plat test myself.

We are currently manufacturing components for the first full production run as well as setting up our mounting specs so the horn is consistent. Nicole Sasser sent me two demo videos and I have to say I am extremely impressed. As good as the horn sounded here at the shop she made it sound phenomenal. I haven't heard back from her but it is the holidays. I will have more coming next week.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole's demo...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eIFDVPxSLqg

And A Christmas Song...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S7qWR_gQYrA

Happy Holidays.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:

We are currently manufacturing components for the first full production run as well as setting up our mounting specs ?? What are Mounting Specs??

Or do you mean Mountie Specs?

Oh, since this is a trumpet forum:

Link

21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Nicole's demo...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eIFDVPxSLqg

And A Christmas Song...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S7qWR_gQYrA

Happy Holidays.

Great videos Adams. She sounds wonderful. I would be interested in finding out how she recorded those videos. Did she just use a certain type of video camera? I just posted this question on the "other toys" forum and would like to find out if possible. You can post your response there if you like.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:

We are currently manufacturing components for the first full production run as well as setting up our mounting specs ?? What are Mounting Specs??

Or do you mean Mountie Specs?

Oh, since this is a trumpet forum:

Link

There is a huge difference from a manufacturing standpoint between mounting three horns and three hundred. We have to be consistent and have strict specifications for our mounting department.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 10 of 20

Jump to: