• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official New Getzen Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
Just sharing a small update.

Christan Griego (He makes all of the mouthpieces for our Custom Series trombones) should have the flugel mouthpieces for us in the next two or so weeks.

The case specs/measurements have been approved for the first sample of cases to be made. I expect to have a sample in the next month or so for approval.

I will post the horn specs, case specs and MSRP as well as dealers that will have them in stock to try once we get the cases in and begin shipping. Next week I will begin a new thread on one of the new projects we have in the works for ITG 2014. I look forward to sharing our design process with you and continuing dialogue between manufacturer and musician.
deleted_user_1dac1c5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece specs?
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on it. We aren't going to just pick a taper, backbore, cup and rim and call it a day. We are working with Griego to include a mouthpiece that best suits the horn.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am interested in your next trumpet which may or may not be something inspired by the 1s2.
i really can't wait for you to post up next week. this is all so tremendously exciting.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Jim and I begin conceptualizing a new horn we pick a sound profile, playing characteristics, make the horn comfortable to hold and play and then work out the cosmetic stuff. We do NOT base our design process on copying other people's work.

The whole point of these endeavors is to push ourselves and our craft to then push industry standards. I understand that that is a huge and humbling task but that is what we are trying to do.

As for emulating or replicating another horn, well, we'll leave that up to someone else.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

Great approach!

People talk about "base-lining" other businesses in order to be successful however, I (along with others much smarter) believe that base-lining your competition only helps you become as good as them versus being better than them therefore making you similar versus market leading in your industry.

P.S. I sincerely appreciate your effort towards providing me with a C Trumpet for my friend.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam:

Any update on the expected availability of this new Flugel?

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
Adam:

Any update on the expected availability of this new Flugel?

We are still waiting to get the first cases in. The horns are coming through production a little more slowly than we hoped but we cannot afford to rush them.

I will post again when we have everything together.
2nd line G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam let me use the new flugal for the weekend to play at church. We played a King's Brass arrangement of Marvelous Grace - 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, piano, and solo flugal. I have an old Getzen 895, but when I played the new horn, everyone's heads spun around. The response on the sound of the horn was 100% positive. It filled up a worship center that seats 300+, without sounding to bright at all. My mom, who has listened to me my whole life called it a 'warmth' of sound. I used the red brass mouthpipe with a Reeves 42F mouthpiece. I had people that I don't even know come tell me how good the horn sounded, and looked. BTW it is raw. Can't wait to hear from more people what their impressions are of it.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I played the new horn, everyone's heads spun around

YIKES! When I first read this my Catholic heritage caused me to think of the infamous scene in 'The Excorcist" with Linda Blair...

However, I soon regained my composure...

jbq
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm sorry that I'm picking on you. It's because I am so jealous. I used to love playing in Churches. The Big Sound, the Echo, etc.

The best part is 'Blessing' everyone with your tone....

jbq

p.s. Maybe the language should be changed so that we could say 'Getzening' people...
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the day that this simple man can order one for himself. This thread started out very hot and has gone cold.

How much longer do we need to wait? I'd take one without the case if that helps.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
Looking forward to the day that this simple man can order one for himself. This thread started out very hot and has gone cold.

How much longer do we need to wait? I'd take one without the case if that helps.

Unfortunately the cases and Griego mouthpiece are taking much longer than was originally planned. I never thought the biggest holdup on this particular model would have very little to do with the horn itself.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
I never thought the biggest holdup on this particular model would have very little to do with the horn itself.

In my industry there's a saying:

The 1st 90% of the job takes 90% of the time allotted. The last 10% also takes 90% of the time allotted.

When's my horn going to be ready?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

Did you consider seling a limited number of new flugelhorns without case or mouthpiece as Getzen TH specials (maybe even marked as such on the horn)?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
OK, I'm sorry that I'm picking on you. It's because I am so jealous. I used to love playing in Churches. The Big Sound, the Echo, etc.

The best part is 'Blessing' everyone with your tone....

jbq

p.s. Maybe the language should be changed so that we could say 'Getzening' people...

Ah, the many of uses of the verb "to Getzen:"

isn't that a Getzen, Getzen your heart ...

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Adam,

Did you consider seling a limited number of new flugelhorns without case or mouthpiece as Getzen TH specials (maybe even marked as such on the horn)?

While Adam can speak for himself, I can certainly understand policy being not to release the horn until a mouthpiece is properly mated to it. Even though this works against me in that I'm close enough to drive to the factory in 45 minutes, the complexities of flugel are such that my impressions of the horn could be greatly swayed by horn / mouthpiece combination.

I think its excellent judgment to allow this critical stage of development as long as it takes to really perfect; this is an artform, not a science. Has Getzen decided what taper this horn is? Are there any options about that? I ask because I generally find french taper to both play better and sound better. I realize that would slow down development even further, I'm just curious about what has been decided on that point, if anything. (I'm just hoping you will be able to maximize this horn's potential with one of the existing 3 tapers, making it at least playable with somebody's existing version of a flugel mpc.)
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:
I never thought the biggest holdup on this particular model would have very little to do with the horn itself.

In my industry there's a saying:

The 1st 90% of the job takes 90% of the time allotted. The last 10% also takes 90% of the time allotted.

When's my horn going to be ready?

Jim and I found that the last 5%-10% took about 50% of the total development time.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Adam,

Every week that goes by without the new case and mouthpiece makes me lean more and more that way...
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
While Adam can speak for himself, I can certainly understand policy being not to release the horn until a mouthpiece is properly mated to it. Even though this works against me in that I'm close enough to drive to the factory in 45 minutes, the complexities of flugel are such that my impressions of the horn could be greatly swayed by horn / mouthpiece combination.

I think its excellent judgment to allow this critical stage of development as long as it takes to really perfect; this is an artform, not a science. Has Getzen decided what taper this horn is? Are there any options about that? I ask because I generally find french taper to both play better and sound better. I realize that would slow down development even further, I'm just curious about what has been decided on that point, if anything. (I'm just hoping you will be able to maximize this horn's potential with one of the existing 3 tapers, making it at least playable with somebody's existing version of a flugel mpc.)

The taper is the same as our 3895. We are still very open to manufacturing the other sets IF there is enough call for them. This will not happen right out the gate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: