• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official New Getzen Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GetZenNow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I gotta side with the Getzen corp on this one!
First off, general marketing of a brand of horns is not selling a specific horn.

If the horn is not available in time, then like any other product, buy another one. Or rent one to test it out.
Its a complex world out there, stuff happens.

That being said, I have posted questions about a 30 year old Getzen flugel in this forum. I had a problem with the flugel yesterday, one of the spit valves was stuck, so I carefully used a pin and was able to open it up, the spring started working again perfectly.
So that is a 30 year old horn, which still works perfectly.
How many products does anyone have that work for 30 years?

I wish I had a brand with that kind of quality, at least from that time period, have not kept up with it since.
So having the family company post info about their horns is great. Getzen is not Microsoft or Apple! c'mon.
Like he said, if you can't wait, then just move on.

and you can't expect someone who owns a company to jump at every question about this or that! again c'mon get real.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Tuningbell,
Unfortunately I cannot tell you when the horns will ship. Since I do not know where you are I cannot say for certain if a local shop has one on order. Since you have recordings to get to within four weeks I would suggest you purchase another flugel. I'd love for you to try the 4895 but I don't expect you to hold up your ambitions on my account.

Hardcore. Getzen has gained 50 Zack faction points.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just as understandably frustrating for the manufacturer, who thought this new offering would begin shipping last April. Let's not forget that!

Getzen, both as a Co. and as a person, has been as honest and forthcoming with us about this whole process as is possible. That counts for a lot in my book
RonD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread since it's inception and have to say I've
been quite frustrated by the delays.
Just prior to the announcement of the 4895, I had tried out and was thrilled
with the 3895. Was about to "pull the trigger". Then... the carrot was dangled.

Well, I'm tired of waiting! On Friday, I'm picking up my 3895!
Take that Getzen!!
GetZenNow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also works great in online dating as well...as in...

hey...if you are so impatient there are plenty of other guys you can date, hundreds of them....

Scarcity marketing.
Of course, Getzen is not doing this on purpose, but it will make those who want the horn, want it even more!
If Getzen were sneaky, they would do like Apple, and understock the stores to get line-ups and get get a feeding frenzy.
Like Elvis said, always leave them wanting more.

Again, Getzen is not doing this on purpose, but the scarcity is making the fans flip-out! LOL
Its like Justin Beaver releasing only part of a "song"....the girls can't stand the tease.

zackh411 wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Tuningbell,
. Since you have recordings to get to within four weeks I would suggest you purchase another flugel. I'd love for you to try the 4895 but I don't expect you to hold up your ambitions on my account.

Hardcore. Getzen has gained 50 Zack faction points.
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bit of self effacing humor... This post is in no way to be in the style of CAPT

I will be purchasing a Courtois 154R for my needs. $750.00USD. A steal when staring at a $2400CAD 2700USD + 13% taxes for a Kanstul, Schilke or Strad Flugelhorn from Long and Mcquade here in Toronto.(the only game in town) I will have to pick it up in Buffalo this Friday but that's not a big deal. If I don't love it I am sure I can get my money out and maybe flip it for the Getzen when it arrives in the market if it is what I hope it to be.

I usually do not buy horns without playing them first but I am familiar with this horn and barring something funky the horn should get me through the upcoming project. The horn was owned by a older gentleman who passed and his kids just want it sold. It looks lightly used.

I thank Adam for letting me off the teaser hook as I can now assume it could be at least another month or two before the horn gets to dealers. We have heard nothing of MSRP yet and that tells me this project is still a ways in the distance.

I will just agree to disagree with all the people who think I am wrong in my position and many thanks to those who understood my position and supported it.

Quote:
1. I am honestly sorry I did not respond to your questions in a timely matter. I wanted to wait until we got the approved sample back so I actually had something to share.

1) You had the replacement sample before my post. My post was a response to your announcement of the SECOND prototype.

Quote:
2. I am not going to disclose certain information about our vendors.

2) Your choice but I did not ask about the vendor I asked about the country of origin. You never advised the country.

Quote:
3. You are correct that this thread was to "tease" the market. That is what marketing is. The issue with the case delayed the launch and dragged this out longer than I wanted.

MARKETING is not to "tease" the market, MARKETING is to drive sales. Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of selling that product or service. What happened here is a market was created for a product we cannot yet purchase and were never provided a release date. Even if the Date was late 2014 we would not be in this conversation.

Quote:
4. Understand that no one is more upset about the delay of this horn more than me. I can't tell you where and when you can purchase it because while we do have several on order we have not shipped any.

I share your disappointment as I may have to buy an inferior product.

Quote:
5. I would hope that the moderators would let me know if I have abused the forums. To the best of my knowledge posting information about a horn is not equal to selling them. The Getzen Company does not sell direct to consumers and as of now has sold exactly zero horns in either the forum or the marketplace.

So would I.. This issue has been an ongoing complaint between regular members and the manufacturer representation that are here on the site. Industry professionals and access to them makes this a special place and there is not much value to Getzen, Kanstul, etc unless they can get some benefit of posting here. I understand that completely. Its a fine line.

Again thanks for the clarification Adam. I just moved everything into one post for the sake of all who have read it.

Good luck with the 4895 Launch
CASE CLOSED
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
It has seemed like a long time getting this to market but probably only because we have witnessed it from idea through development to manufacture to impending delivery.

Perhaps it seems like a (frustratingly) long time because we have never done it?

I've brought products to market - with much bigger teams - and some took a lot longer than this.

For all I know getting a flugelhorn to market normally takes years, and Adam's moving at rocket speed.

$.02,
Gary.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
Tuningbell wrote:
I NEED ....

This about sums up Tuningbell's entire psyche.

I thought his explanation made a lot of sense. He stated why he needs a new flugel and why he needs it now. It has seemed like a long time getting this to market but probably only because we have witnessed it from idea through development to manufacture to impending delivery.

We've had a lot of good insight into the process of bringing a horn to market but for those who want to get their hands on it, it is understandably frustrating.

I have never "needed" to buy any specific horn before I've even tried it.

EDIT: Especially for a recording. Even if he got to try it at a trade show...that's not enough to know I'm DEFINITELY going to record on an instrument.

johnlakejazz.com
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lake JW
The need was a flugelhorn not specifically the 4895. Before pulling the trigger on a replacement. I wanted to include the 4895 in my search. I was mislead by this thread and expected the horns in or near April. Thus I delayed my purchase as long as possible.

The recording is a special project that is specifically voiced for flugel by the composer. I cannot change that. I am being paid to lay down the track as he hears it. So I MUST use a flugel.

The horn I have chosen is the same make/model of the horn that was stolen. I got lucky and I know how it will play and sound. Well at least how I expect it too. Assuming no modifications, trauma or defects. It was owned by a professional and lightly used so I expect it to be fine. The serial # is close to my stolen one.

My choice of the word " need" was not a narcissistic pleading but a factual statement of the situation of an upcoming job requires a tool I did not currently own.

I would never specifically select a model and make without play testing it. You do make an interesting point that I did not take into account which is that the sound of a recorded instrument will be different than live. This is not my issue as I am just hired to play Flugelhorn. I do not do a lot of recording but definitely agree horns sound different recorder vs live.
Cheers

Last edited by Tuningbell on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuningbell wrote:
The horn I have chosen is the same make/model of the horn that was stolen. I got lucky and I know how it will play and sound.
Well at least how I expect it too.

My choice of the word " need" was not a narcissistic pleading but a factual statement of the situation of an upcoming job requires a tool I did not own.

Sorry if I came off as castigating. I understand your position. Good luck with the Curtois, though. While, in the jazz world, they are thought of as the "standard" vintage flugel, I have always found them to be quite hit-or-miss. Meaning: I hope you got a good one.

johnlakejazz.com
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeJW -
No apology necessary. But thanks anyway.

I totally agree with you on the Courtois..I am hoping for a "DEVIL YOU KNOW" scenario. Mine had some intonation quirks and was not the easiest to play but had "THE SOUND"(at least to my ear) Thus my interest in the 4895.. I want the SOUND but better intonation. Nothing really sounded like my first Flugel the Benge 5 but as we all know... and I am stealing this description "It has the most wonderful sound but the intonation is like wrestling a pair of seals and can scare small children...

Off to Buffalo, NY
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam

Any update on the new Flugel?

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the first batch in and will be shipping horns by order date this week. Next week we will have an additional twenty five in to complete all the open orders. I believe that our reps will have their samples by the first week in October to show in their regions. I have to talk to Mary so I can figure out who will have what when. (Whew!)
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!

Is there an established MSRP yet?

2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSRP is $4,115.00. Everyone knows, however, that the people that really set the price are the dealers.
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood!

2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two domestic shops to receive their new 4895s will be Fix This in Palatine Illinois and The Horn Shop in Fresno California.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with Brett and he said to go ahead and post the M.A.P. (minimum advertised price) $2880.00.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adam for keeping us updated. Very exciting news.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam

Thanks for this great thread. You tested my patience with the case delays but I'm positive that the wait was worth it. I have mine ordered and am told it will be available in under 30 days.

Any bronze valve blocks coming for trumpets?

2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: