• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official New Getzen Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob... Once you receive 4895, I'd love to see/hear some videos... Unboxing... Anatomy of horn and case... First sounds... Some pieces highlighting the characteristics of the horn and its mouthpiece. Regards, Guido
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from a professional but I should be able to put something together.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, have you received your new 4895? ... What are your early impressions?

Guido
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice flugel but I can't say I like the Amati water valves. They're nothing but trouble.
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have received it. It is beautiful and plays like a dream. It will be getting a full Big Band workout tonight and I will comment after a little more play time.

FTR: They don't have Amado water valves. They are standard lever style.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
FTR: They don't have Amado water valves. They are standard lever style.

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
There will be no amados on any horn that I design for the Custom Reserve line.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the most recent person to have play tested this beauty. How do I know? I just drove back home from the factory

In the past week I've finally gotten around to play testing all the high end flugelhorns available locally: Schilke, B & S (Challenger 1 & 2) Kanstul 1525, Yamaha; those were the stand-outs, plus a few others including Blessing and Jupiter.

Getzen blows them all away! Very similar in sound to the 1525 but plays better. The Schilke does in fact play great and if you like the light European sound; i.e. doesn't sound much different on a recording from a trumpet being played mellow you might like it, but I prefer a richer, more buttery sound out of a flugel. The B&S 2 sounds more like I want a flugel to sound, but it still can't hold a candle to the warmth of the Getzen. The B&S does play quite well, which is to say I couldn't tell you if the Getzen (with the rose brass leadpipe which is my preference for sound) plays better or not, but I do think that with the nickel leadpipe the Getzen plays as fast and accurate as the Schilke, while still delivering more of the sound I want.

The Schilke and B&S are both light and easy to hold. I feel kinda silly even talking about this but with a big 6 1/2" copper bell, if you play it a bunch that might become an issue. The Getzen has designed this thing ergonomically and it really does make a difference; it just lays in your hand, balanced, ready to respond to whatever you give it. Much easier to hold in playing position than other bells this size.

The response of the Getzen is exquisite at low volume, which is what I've mainly concentrated on, thinking that's how a flugel should be played. What really surprised me is you can crescendo tremendously and not only still sound like a flugel, but the sound gets not only bigger but also richer. It fills the room and the sound seems to ooze out of the walls, for lack of a better way to try to describe it. I've played trumpets that can get this sort of phenomena, but this is the first I've seen a flugel do that! It also still sounds like a flugel on a high D. High G or A? I couldn't get that same sound that high, but I didn't spend much time (or chops!) trying, either. I'm not sure where the upper extent of its pure flugel sound really is, but if it hasn't gone bad by a high D I don't see the need to pick nits.

So my vote is this is a winner. If there's an equal built somewhere, I haven't seen it. Contrary to the above post, the one I played had Amado spit valves (I'm pretty sure I remember that correctly) but that might just be a showroom demo model, not part of production. I like Amados because they gurgle less, holding a certain amount of condensation before announcing to the audience that it's there. Keep it clean and don't blow too hard and they empty fine.

When Adam Getzen gave me a factory tour he didn't realize how much manufacturing I've been involved in, but what I see in that factory is the sort of American ingenuity that made this Country great in the first place. The contributions that young man has personally made scream to me that this is a Company that will be stable for a long time, and since they are producing greatness I think we can all look forward to Getzen becoming the benchmark for top tier horns.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a review that makes one go and and find one available for sale!
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I'm the most recent person to have play tested this beauty. How do I know? I just drove back home from the factory

In the past week I've finally gotten around to play testing all the high end flugelhorns available locally: Schilke, B & S (Challenger 1 & 2) Kanstul 1525, Yamaha; those were the stand-outs, plus a few others including Blessing and Jupiter.

Getzen blows them all away! Very similar in sound to the 1525 but plays better. The Schilke does in fact play great and if you like the light European sound; i.e. doesn't sound much different on a recording from a trumpet being played mellow you might like it, but I prefer a richer, more buttery sound out of a flugel. The B&S 2 sounds more like I want a flugel to sound, but it still can't hold a candle to the warmth of the Getzen. The B&S does play quite well, which is to say I couldn't tell you if the Getzen (with the rose brass leadpipe which is my preference for sound) plays better or not, but I do think that with the nickel leadpipe the Getzen plays as fast and accurate as the Schilke, while still delivering more of the sound I want.

The Schilke and B&S are both light and easy to hold. I feel kinda silly even talking about this but with a big 6 1/2" copper bell, if you play it a bunch that might become an issue. The Getzen has designed this thing ergonomically and it really does make a difference; it just lays in your hand, balanced, ready to respond to whatever you give it. Much easier to hold in playing position than other bells this size.

The response of the Getzen is exquisite at low volume, which is what I've mainly concentrated on, thinking that's how a flugel should be played. What really surprised me is you can crescendo tremendously and not only still sound like a flugel, but the sound gets not only bigger but also richer. It fills the room and the sound seems to ooze out of the walls, for lack of a better way to try to describe it. I've played trumpets that can get this sort of phenomena, but this is the first I've seen a flugel do that! It also still sounds like a flugel on a high D. High G or A? I couldn't get that same sound that high, but I didn't spend much time (or chops!) trying, either. I'm not sure where the upper extent of its pure flugel sound really is, but if it hasn't gone bad by a high D I don't see the need to pick nits.

So my vote is this is a winner. If there's an equal built somewhere, I haven't seen it. Contrary to the above post, the one I played had Amado spit valves (I'm pretty sure I remember that correctly) but that might just be a showroom demo model, not part of production. I like Amados because they gurgle less, holding a certain amount of condensation before announcing to the audience that it's there. Keep it clean and don't blow too hard and they empty fine.

When Adam Getzen gave me a factory tour he didn't realize how much manufacturing I've been involved in, but what I see in that factory is the sort of American ingenuity that made this Country great in the first place. The contributions that young man has personally made scream to me that this is a Company that will be stable for a long time, and since they are producing greatness I think we can all look forward to Getzen becoming the benchmark for top tier horns.

Wow. I knew yesterday that you liked but reading this is pretty humbling. Just a couple of things:

1. The 4895 you played did in fact have lever water-keys as all of them will.

2. This fantastic horn was a collaboration between Jim Stella and myself. I would say a pretty even mix of ideas between us. There were times when we had different opinions on how to accomplish something but we always ended up on the same page.

3. As much as I would like everyone to say how great I am, (who wouldn't?), the 4895 is a product of design extremely well executed by our staff here at Getzen. I consider myself fortunate to have such skilled employees.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Just a couple of things:

1. The 4895 you played did in fact have lever water-keys as all of them will.

Haha! Ok, I stand corrected. I played a lot of horns, and never did touch the Genesis lying there on the floor. So I forgot that detail. (Shows how much I care about a spitvalve! Doesn't leak? Empties? It's fine by me.)

Adam R. Getzen wrote:

2. This fantastic horn was a collaboration between Jim Stella and myself. I would say a pretty even mix of ideas between us. There were times when we had different opinions on how to accomplish something but we always ended up on the same page.

3. As much as I would like everyone to say how great I am, (who wouldn't?), the 4895 is a product of design extremely well executed by our staff here at Getzen. I consider myself fortunate to have such skilled employees.

Yeah, the contributions that you made personally I was referring to were more along the lines of the layout of the factory itself, and some of the innovations you showed me. Good old-fashioned common sense, yes; but you'd be amazed at how common it is for top execs to totally dismiss that, and throw monkey wrenches in the works!

Another very important thing is what is on display here; giving credit to your employees. The relationships within any organization, including with those who are the backbone of the Company, those churning out the manual aspects of production, day in and day out - that's the stuff that predicts if you can stay the course, continuing to develop greatness. And all those ducks are in a row. What I've seen tells me that the team effort that developed the 4895 can be reproduced, as you apply yourselves to other instruments.

There's also the fact that at least some of the ideas for the 4895 started with you, personally! That's pretty kewl, really. Sure it took a team to make that dream a reality, but my point is that same team will be able to get the same results with every instrument you turn to. Now it's just a matter of time ...
sassytrumpetgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished recording my new album. It won't be ready until the summer. Well, technically the album will be done in a week or so, but I'm about ready to have a baby so we can't get photos for the album until I lose all the baby weight.

Really excited to be able to use the new Getzen flugel (4895) on several songs. Such a gorgeous tone to it. Can't wait to share the new music with everyone.

~Nicole
sassytrumpetgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: video with song samples Reply with quote

Forgot to mention - here is a youtube link that has two samples of the songs in case you want to check it out. This one doesn't have flugel on it, but I am playing my Getzen Bb 3051.
Very soon we'll have a teaser track available for download free if you sign up for the mailing list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaCn_xcsvyg
[/youtube]
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: video with song samples Reply with quote

sassytrumpetgirl wrote:
Forgot to mention - here is a youtube link that has two samples of the songs in case you want to check it out. This one doesn't have flugel on it, but I am playing my Getzen Bb 3051.
Very soon we'll have a teaser track available for download free if you sign up for the mailing list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaCn_xcsvyg
[/youtube]

I...like that sound!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
sassytrumpetgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!! It's definitely a different direction for me, and something I'm really excited about. EDM - Electronic Dance Music. If you're familiar with Lindsey Stirling, the dub-step violinist, she's the one that inspired me to think outside the box of fitting trumpet into jazz or classical or smooth jazz.
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
The caps remind me of the Genesis. And I wonder, if anyone will find they squeeze the slides, resulting in deformation or other valve issues. I certainly wouldn't but I still wonder. Trigger placement may prevent that.

Very interesting, for sure. I love the colors!

Anybody who would do that should be working on an oil rig, not playing flugel horn.

Bluesy/
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, Adam! Love the colors. They lend the design strength.
Assembling my shekels and waiting for the trumpet.

Thomas/Bluesy
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesy wrote:
veery715 wrote:
The caps remind me of the Genesis. And I wonder, if anyone will find they squeeze the slides, resulting in deformation or other valve issues. I certainly wouldn't but I still wonder. Trigger placement may prevent that.

Anybody who would do that should be working on an oil rig, not playing flugel horn.

Bluesy/
Not fair!!! I washed my hands first!
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
Bluesy wrote:
veery715 wrote:

Bluesy/
Not fair!!! I washed my hands first!

Oh. Sorry.
sassytrumpetgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to share that I have a sampler track for my new album available for free download at the link below. I got to play the new Getzen Flugelhorn on several tracks.
http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/nicolesasser/widgets/8591[url]
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicole, pretty music indeed... With just temptalizing hints of 4895!

Why not create a full 4895 demo featuring all the unique qualities of the new Getzen flugel?

Saluti, Guido
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: