• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official New Getzen Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had our Chicago Trumpet Hang, and this fluegel was there as were Adam and I.

You know I like to say how nice my incredibly rare Buescher fluegel is.

I played this fluegel with a nickel-silver (or was it nickel, Adam?) mouthpipe and the supplied Gregio mouthpiece.

Forget trying to find one of those Buescher Model 280s.

Buy the new Getzen fluegel. You know you want to.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a video demo of this flugelhorn. There used to be a few brief demo videos from Nicole Sasser playing this, but those video links are now private. I listened to Nicole's album sampler, which includes a few brief bits of flugelhorn (sounds nice, as do the trumpet samples).

Anyone know of any video demos of this flugelhorn?
Piccolo Stomvi
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2016's gone... And 2017 here cometh around... Still no significant video/audio clip of 4895?

Adam... How about it?

Happy New Year, Guido
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A found a sound clip, that I feel is very representative of the horn:

https://www.nicolesasser.com/music

The track Last Time, start right at the beginning. FL comes in in the first seconds. Unfortunately this is not a long FL section, but it does show a contrast from her trumpet sound. IMHO many artists are playing FL that sounds a lot like trumpet, whereas I feel her sound here is a real change of pace. (As a point of interest there's what I might term a "cameo appearance" of her FL towards the end. Not a lot of playing, but a very musical use of the instrument, IMHO)

All of You, at 2:55 there's a longer FL section, and she overdubs what I assume is herself into a two-part FL harmony. I realize studio trickery is endless, but this might also demonstrate the intonation? I found it to be quite good on this horn.

I understand Getzen not wanting to stake their reputation on a cell phone recording at their factory, but if they could have their tester guy just play the horn? We might be able to collaborate on something that really shows the range of what this fine instrument can do. They have a testing room with acoustics that should work well.

I'm not sure if lack of exposure has caused interest in this horn to wane, or if they sell everything they can build. I can understand if the market is flooded with high end horns, cheaper stuff is selling better, and if those conditions have slowed down progress of their custom reserve line for other instruments (I'm thinking about trpt, cornet, picc)

Last edited by razeontherock on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... Nicole gives us a fleeting glimps of this wonderful flugel.... The fragments tell me of the wonderful potential for expressivity of 4895.... So much that Nicole is leaving me wanting much more of her playing on this horn as a solo, rather than a small element of her mixage... How about it Adam?!
G.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is good for making up words. First we had the verb "to Getzen," and now we have "expressivity." I think that's pretty fitting for this thread. The range of expression this horn is capable of deserves it's own word! And the prototypes of other horns of the custom reserve series tells me they will, too. That's really the biggest difference with this line. It's like they have another gear to shift into. Rather than backing up, they just ... give you more expressivity
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear... Looks like after four decades in North America I still suffer from occasional gallicisms... Expressivity being the translitteration from the Italian espressivita'. Conversely, "espressivezza", which would otherwise translitterate readily into "expressiveness ", regrettably is unknown in my mother tongue.

But I checked... And "expressivity" appears to be a valid English word. Wiktionary reports:

"Wiktionary
Noun

(usually uncountable, plural expressivities)

1. (uncountable) The quality of being
expressive.
2. (genetics) The degree to which a
gene
affects or can affect an
organism."

Thus, thinking back, "expressivity" of the Custom Reserve flugel may indicate its ability to convey human emotions, or... the instrument's phenotypical expression of the getzenian emotive genotype *Grins!*

Which implies that "getzenian" is a neologic adjective, meaning "pertaining to Getzen".

Saluti, G.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Oh Dear... Looks like after four decades in North America I still suffer from occasional gallicisms... Expressivity being the translitteration from the Italian espressivita'. Conversely, "espressivezza", which would otherwise translitterate readily into "expressiveness ", regrettably is unknown in my mother tongue.

But I checked... And "expressivity" appears to be a valid English word. Wiktionary reports:

"Wiktionary
Noun

(usually uncountable, plural expressivities)

1. (uncountable) The quality of being
expressive.
2. (genetics) The degree to which a
gene
affects or can affect an
organism."

Thus, thinking back, "expressivity" of the Custom Reserve flugel may indicate its ability to convey human emotions, or... the instrument's phenotypical expression of the getzenian emotive genotype *Grins!*

Which implies that "getzenian" is a neologic adjective, meaning "pertaining to Getzen".

Saluti, G.

This made my morning!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: