• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Isn't enough enough?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Isn't enough enough? Reply with quote

Josh Landress just posted that he's never coming back because of "Capt. Kirk".

This person was banned from Trumpet Herald years ago for being a persistent buffoon.

Why are we allowing Josh Landress to leave forever and let "Capt. Kirk" free reign?

BAN HIM NOW.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Isn't enough enough? Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:

This person was banned from Trumpet Herald years ago for being a persistent buffoon.

Why are we allowing Josh Landress to leave forever and let "Capt. Kirk" free reign?

BAN HIM NOW.

Tom

+1

What's the point of Moderation if you don't take care of problems like this?

Get rid of the guy.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit them on the bottom line. Contact the advertisers, and make them aware of it. Maybe money will matter to them, if common sense won't.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the advertisers do not pay to advertise on TH. This certainly was the policy a couple of years ago. I am not aware that it has changed.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay to advertise here.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Conn Collector
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Isn't enough enough? Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:

BAN HIM NOW.

Tom

Josh Landress decided to lose all the free publicity and all the free contact with hundreds of potential customers here in TH because he did not like what ONE poster posted in Trumpet Herald?

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

That makes no sense at all.

Jason Harrelson has continued to post here even though a 2010 thread went 50 pages long in criticizing Jason.
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96602&highlight=harrelson+shill
Why weren't the people who went on and on criticizing Jason banned from TH?
Why didn't Jason refuse to ever post here again?

If Josh Landress decides to leave TH, that unfortunate decision to lose so much potential business here is his own decision that nobody has forced upon him.
I hope Josh changes his mind and decides to stay at TH.

If TH starts banning people in order to please big-name members, that would be extremely troubling, a terrible precedent.

Conn Collector

Morris playing "Conn 9a - Double C"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-nqb-BOftg&feature=youtu.be

“Jesus gives eternal life”
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several "one day wonder" Trolls who pop up, insult everything and are quickly exterminated. One can't tell but I don't seem to think that was an over all loss.

There was this holier then thou fellow named morris with a love of Conns who kept fighting on the wrong side of issues. He was banned, and doesn't seem a loss, though it seems like there is often someone else to jump in with very similar posts. He was always quoting the rules, but one wonders if he could return ignoring the rule against multiple names. He seemed to hate a fellow named Scorpion. Don't know what happened to Scorpion, he was entertaining. When I PM'd him he actually seemed to know his stuff.

There was some fellow named "Dr. Schmidt" (might have that name wrong) whose only desire it seemed was to say how great he played and how much higher. The place seemed a bit nicer after he was disappeared into the corn field with no apparent loss. He supported some crook named "Murray" (among several other names). Murray by a huge amount of evidence was a crook. I mean a REAL not pay for an item not send an item Crook. A hold a charity concert talking a big name in performing, then walking out the back door with the box office.

Oh, Morris backed the crook also when it was pointed out his minister paperwork simply came from an onsite pay your money get your credentials site. Apparently pointing that out was hate speech.

The brooh-haha that morris and Schmidt caused protecting the crook caused a huge amount of research to get pulled and probably someone got scammed because that information was no longer available on the net. So I don't see any loss to either of them.

I don't think the JH thread(s) compare. Yep, there was snarking, but overall it was trying to cover issues that were pretty well documented or limited to personal experiences. That's a huge cry from Capt.Kirk's babbling and clear lack of knowledge/practical experience in a vast amount of the ares he covered. That on its own wasn't enough though, he had to insult those who WERE highly experienced and trying to share information.

Some folks at TrumpetMaster wrote on a thread that they missed Capt.Kirk for the humor value and would pop over to TH for laughs. So except for the folks who looked at CK's posts for the humor value, I truly doubt he will be missed.

On the other hand the loss of Josh, Trent, Adam, and who knows how many more clearly WILL be missed and hopefully we can quickly get them back.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Isn't enough enough? Reply with quote

Conn Collector wrote:
VetPsychWars wrote:

BAN HIM NOW.

Tom

Josh Landress decided to lose all the free publicity and all the free contact with hundreds of potential customers here in TH because he did not like what ONE poster posted in Trumpet Herald?

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

That makes no sense at all.

Jason Harrelson has continued to post here even though a 2010 thread went 50 pages long in criticizing Jason.
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96602&highlight=harrelson+shill
Why weren't the people who went on and on criticizing Jason banned from TH?
Why didn't Jason refuse to ever post here again?

If Josh Landress decides to leave TH, that unfortunate decision to lose so much potential business here is his own decision that nobody has forced upon him.
I hope Josh changes his mind and decides to stay at TH.

If TH starts banning people in order to please big-name members, that would be extremely troubling, a terrible precedent.

Conn Collector

I wonder, Conn, how likely it is that you would have this attitude if John had attacked you personally. He consistently made personal attacks against myself, my company and my employees. It was upsetting. I didn't always agree with some of the responses he got for his posts but I certainly didn't weep for him when they came.

The Getzen Company, Trent's business and others that John targeted aren't huge faceless corporations. We are private business' that carry our namesake. So it is puzzling to me when you defend John and his personal life yet are absent to defend myself or Trent's.

As for saying Josh would lose out on potential business, (I can't speak for John or Trent) but that's not why I post here. I post here not because it drives up sales of our instruments (it doesn't) but because I get to talk to some intelligent people about old and new horns, industry news and this one thing that we all happen to have in common.

I don't know that banning him is the answer because he won't learn anything from it. I definitely don't think abandoning TH is the smartest thing for us to do either. Hopefully we will all be tempered from this experience and learn to move past posts such as John's.
PH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
I pay to advertise here.

Eb

I stand corrected.
JazzRetreats.com
Conn Collector
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been sent an interesting PM that I would like to respond to here.
I have deleted the sender's name to protect his identity.

Quote:

Kirk is an unaccomplished (by his own admission) player who makes very few positive contributions to TH. His forte is stirring controversy via offensive and frequently insulting posts and comments, thereby directing attention away from discussion topics to himself. Most of us realize this, clearly you either do not, or you disagree. I have no interest in starting a cyber argument with you, but am very curious as to why you feel the need to defend a member of the forum who is very disruptive to useful discussion? I will say, here non-publicly, that I consider Kirk to be a rather pathetic little person who likely has few friends and even fewer credentials. I suspect he also has more than one significant personality disorder. But that should not give him a right to publicly defame and insult others, which he does on the forum with impunity.

Again, my point of this message is NOT to start an argument, but when you have a minute, maybe you could enlighten me with your reasons for defending the guy? And in my opinion, "free speech" is not a valid reason, there are boundaries to free speech, Kirk crosses them constantly.

I got an email notifying me that someone sent me a TH private message.
I logged on just to see what it was.
It was this PM from you.

There are many, many hateful people posting in TH.
There are many, many people posting wrong information in TH.

I hate the stinking double standard of allowing those people to stay in TH while Kirk is thrown out.

Many of the people who were attacking Kirk were violating the TH usage rules in their hatefulness and personal insults, yet they are being allowed to remain in TH.

TH members have sent me obscene emails rather than use the TH private message system so that moderators will not be able to see the messages.
But plenty of hateful TH members make no attempt to hide their hatefulness.

I was publicly accused of being a dishonest un-Christian horn flipper simply because I bid on an eBay item and I said that I would have re-sold it if I had won it.

I have been publicly accused of being other people.

I have had people complain about my Christian signature.

I have seen many people try to bait Kirk by posting insults about him in threads in which he has not even posted.

So I throw your question right back at you:
Why aren't you offended by the hateful people who constantly baited Kirk with personal insults and then called for Kirk's expulsion when Kirk took the bait?
Why aren't you offended by hateful people who keep violating the TH usage agreement by posting personal insults at anyone they don't like?
Why don't you adress the fact that many people in TH have posted that although they disagree with Kirk they nevertheless defend Kirk's being allowed to post in TH?

I have been defending Kirk?
Quite the contrary, I have been denouncing hateful double-standard pot-calling-kettle-black stinking hypocrites, just as Jesus did in Matthew Chapters 15 and 23.
The TH hypocrites can be characterized as saying, "Kirk is a G**d*** m*****f***** who should be thrown out of TH because he uses obscene personal insults that violate the TH usage agreement".

Moderators,
Since Kirk is being kicked out of TH,
I want be kicked out of TH.
Please do so immediately.

Conn Collector

Morris playing "Conn 9a - Double C"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-nqb-BOftg&feature=youtu.be

“Jesus gives eternal life”
PH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators can't read your private messages. They are private.
JazzRetreats.com
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started the thread, I'll respond in general to your points. And, I am not blameless; I have said that somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

The point of Capt. Kirk is that he did not learn from the comments made on his postings, and most of them were beyond any sort of relevance to trumpet playing. It was not any one posting, it was the collective weight of hundreds of postings, almost none of which said anything of substance. I was shocked the other day when he said something short and to the point and that I made an effort to say that I agreed with it.

The moderators here choose to use a light touch. It appears to be what the site owner prefers. It's ok to abandon a forum you don't like. I've done it myself.

But enough members here have commented on his posts, first in a respectful way, and, yes, escalating into what could be described as adolescent behavior, in an attempt to get him to self-moderate. It seems clear to me that he had no ability to self-moderate.

It seems to me that it also crosses the line when he says something like "Getzen has no desire to innovate, they just want to fleece their customers selling the same old junk" (Adam, I don't believe that one minute, it's an example). He could have said, instead, "I have these great ideas for products that no one in the market is doing and I think when people see them, they will be very excited."

See the difference?

But, to summarize, it was his inability to self-moderate over a number of years that caused his expulsion.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Collector wrote:
stuff

There is a double standard on TH - or has been. Posters who make disparaging comments or insult others have been given the boot. Except for Mr. Kirk. Apparently it was Ok for him to constantly assault people's professional reputations - repeatedly.

While I am fully capable of ignoring him - I don't think trumpet craftsmen should have to constantly endure his posts in which he insults their craft.

So apparently, it's bad to call someone an idiot or a moron, but Ok for Kirk to call craftsmen like Trent, Getzen, Kanstul, and Bach hacks, liars, cheats, and all other manner of ridiculousness.

I enjoy having those folks here to discuss trumpet stuff whereas Mr. Kirk essentially contributes nothing, disrupts threads, insults people professionally, and shows no respect to the spirit of the site since he joined. Certainly he is not the only one, but seriously, at some point enough has to be enough.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Kirk was that you'd have to read 14 paragraphs to find the insult and even then the grammar was so bad that you still weren't sure what the hell he was talking about.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
The problem with Kirk was that you'd have to read 14 paragraphs to find the insult and even then the grammar was so bad that you still weren't sure what the hell he was talking about.

Eb

I wasn't going to post on this topic anymore, but I love this post.
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
EBjazz wrote:

Eb

I wasn't going to post on this topic anymore, but I love this post.

I Second that Motion !!

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet forums reflect the absence of civility in the real world, much of which is heightened by an acceptance of coarseness in popular culture with no emphasis on consequences.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm late to the party here, but did Kirk actually get banned?

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zackh411 wrote:

It appears so. No postings defending himself.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Gordontrek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
zackh411 wrote:

It appears so. No postings defending himself.

Tom

Last time everybody jumped all over him, he didn't say a word. People called for him to be banned, there was some mudslinging, etc etc. He just stayed quiet and apparently waited for it all to blow over, then he came right back. Might happen this time, might not. Only time will tell........

Bach 18043
Eastman ETR-830S
Bach 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: