• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Humming while playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another forum a trombonist has asked for help. He hums while playing and can't seem to turn this off. I've got a couple of thoughts of some things he could try, but I figured if anyone had dealt with this before and gotten right to the heart of the problems it had to be Doc Reinhardt.

Anyone have any suggestions I could pass on?

Thanks!

Dave W.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a fellow Reinhardt student (back in my NTSU days) telling me that Doc had told him that he was vocalizing (humming) while playing . . . but I don't recall the Rx Doc gave him.

I don't remember his name . . . just that he lived in the same building as Rene Bernard. It looked like it had been designed as a motel but was converted into an apartment complex. Anyway, it was right off campus there in Denton.

If anybody knows who I'm talking about, it would be nice to try to look him up and see what Doc prescribed for the ailment you're describing, Dave.

Rich

Horn? What horn? Shhh . . . mum's the word.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Encyclopedia: Page 73 question #41 "Why do some performers grunt a split- second before their attack is executed? ...12 reasons to explore. And on Page 74 question #42 "Why do some performers sing or hum while they are playing? ...8 reasons to explore and eradicate this "annoying playing fault!" What a great book! I don't have time right now to type the 2 pages out. Maybe someone else would. Thanks.
Dave S.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! Thanks for pointing that out, Dave. I'd forgotten it was in there!

Has anyone ever put together an index for the "Encyclopedia?" It would sure be helpful for looking up information!

Dave W.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave: The Augmented Version (out of print) of The Encyclopedia has an index. I can make copies for anyone interested... I will send a copy free to anyone signing the guest book on the Reinhardt Web site http://www.thereinhardtfoundation.org and requesting one. Also any emails to me through this forum or my web site http://www.airstreamdynamnics.com . Thanks. Dave S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: