• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A nice trick for reducing tension in the airstream

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: A nice trick for reducing tension in the airstream Reply with quote

So, I've been convinced that the Valsalva Maneuver is the number one enemy. I've also experienced what Cichowicz calls "blocking" - it's like a miniature version of the VM, a reflex at the very moment you begin the tone. It's like I have a deeply ingrained psychological intuition that there needs to be a little explosion to get my lips to start buzzing, or perhaps the subconscious visualization is that the lips need to grip the air stream in order to buzz. Trying to undo these instincts is difficult, but when I overcome them, the difference is monumental. EVERYTHING is easier, I feel lighter, less physical discomfort, slurring anywhere in my range with ease, and, especially, the sound opens UP.

The trouble is, it's difficult to get back to that free blowing place with consistency. A crap day is a downward spiral - it sounds bad, so you double down on all the gripping that is causing you to sound bad.

But I found a way to describe what it feels like to blow properly. Hopefully it will help players or teachers communicate a positive image of what good blowing feels like, rather than a simple negative edict ("don't tense up"). This is the instruction:

Think lengthening the back of your neck - nothing crazy or difficult, just simply lengthen. It will give your head the right angle. Now here's the mantra: release air through the top of your head. Don't blow, per se. And whatever you do, don't blow through your lips!! That's the key. Imagine your wind just radiates off your head. You're NOT focusing it anywhere, especially through a tiny hole in your lips. Just blowing your wig off.

Sounds weird, but it helps me decouple the embouchure from the airstream so that necessary tension in the former doesn't lead to unnecessary tension in the latter. At the same time, it doesn't encourage you to lose all energy in the airstream by over-relaxing. Blow your wig off!

Hope that helps someone!
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This IS helpful, thank you.

I agree that air flow is crucial, and complicated. Some players have intuitive control of it, and others have to work on it. I'm in the second category, and visualizations like yours are helpful.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The business about sending the 'air' out the top of your head is a vocal concept that I've used for many years. I think of sending the sound 'up' rather than wind because they are not the same thing.
The 'locking' or 'blocking' Cichowicz described can be avoided by keeping the chest elevated (like singing) when playing and releasing the sound as if singing. 'Lift' a little from the abdomen for accents or higher notes requiring more energy. Collapsing the chest and pressurizing the air downwards, on the other hand, is the enemy; downward compression can cause a strident, ugly sound (esp. at forte and above), and can lead to or aggravate existing hernias.
Gate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:
The business about sending the 'air' out the top of your head is a vocal concept that I've used for many years. I think of sending the sound 'up' rather than wind because they are not the same thing.
The 'locking' or 'blocking' Cichowicz described can be avoided by keeping the chest elevated (like singing) when playing and releasing the sound as if singing. 'Lift' a little from the abdomen for accents or higher notes requiring more energy. Collapsing the chest and pressurizing the air downwards, on the other hand, is the enemy; downward compression can cause a strident, ugly sound (esp. at forte and above), and can lead to or aggravate existing hernias.

Hear, hear. This goes well to helping describe it. "Lifting" is indeed what I feel when it works well, but for me it's one of the things that comes as a result of the right psychological intention, not a physical trick. When I think "lift your chest," I personally tend to get too tight a gut and back muscles. But lifting is definitely what happens when you stop pressing downwards.

I especially like the way you describe that it's not even wind that is going through your scalp, but sound. I notice that what I'm trying to describe feels that way, too. It definitely feels - all of a sudden, as though flipping a switch - that my internal sound concept leads everything else.

We say "play with your ears." The sensation I'm trying to describe is exactly that. Not only does the inner ear guide the physical mechanism, but it feels as though the "wind" or sound (let's get philosophical and call them the same thing) is flowing OUT my ears and the back of my head and the back of my lengthened neck. That's the sensation for me. I know now that that is the starting point of the rest of the playing day.

But, again, the real mind-blowing discovery to me was to completely forget about blowing through the lips (and, consequently, through the horn). It's like magic. Peter - I wonder what you think about the idea of decoupling the embouchure from the airstream. Surely, that's not exactly correct in a physical sense, but I find this whole sensation psychologically disconnects the two and makes everything feel more flexible and guided by internal sound concept.

I say this because as an adult novice, I have wildly varying days, where some days everything feels like a cloud and sounds like a dream, and then there are days where I struggle so much (ironically, struggle to relax) that I spend the next week nursing cramped shoulders and neck. Finding a touchstone to efficient playing is exciting, and I try to take great care in heeding one when I find it. This one was so good and surprising, I had to share. I think Peter's addition of focusing on exhaling sound instead of air is a great one. Thanks!
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to get a lesson with Bob Dorer when I passed through Minneapolis a couple of years ago. He pointed out that I was letting myself get "shorter" on all my bad attacks. Learning to star the sound while getting "taller" has been one of the most helpful things I've ever been told.

Matt
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Interesting...thank you Peter. I have found that thinking the attack begins with the inhalation, and that they share the same start and end point, helps me. Additionally, playing the mouthpiece helps me achieve a quicker and more relaxed response.
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massively agree to everything in this thread although 'Blow your wig off' is a first for me!

I've read loads of similar advice on TH on ways to relax/reduce tension etc but the recent post entitled A Strange Problem contains the best advice I've ever seen - reproduced below:

Agree %100. I like to think of Valsalva Maneuver activation as a gauge, the goal should be to play with the gauge on zero ALL THE TIME. What most players don't realize is that they start "moving the needle" of the gauge an octave lower of the highest note they can't play. If someone wants to improve the high register, the focus should be an octave lower of one's highest note to make the "needle" go to zero again. I hope it make sense.
http://www.youtube.com/user/lmaraya

Boy does this make a huge difference if you can remember to think the right way - everything feels way easier especially high register.

Very hard to maintain when you first try but even after just a week trying to think this way while playing it's astonishing how easy playing feels when you get it right.

Now I understand what CG meant when he said 'Brass playing is no harder than deep breathing' (or something like this!).

Obviously not figured this out in a week but finally have a mental picture of how to do it and for me it's the biggest change to my playing n 30 years. Off to practice it now!
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My playing and teaching is based on literal singing and speech models, and I believe they are a good guide for the self-taught player.

Even after studying with Jacobs, Cichowicz, and Herseth, the "Chicago school" "wind and song" pedagogy never worked for me (though I picked up many valuable things from these men, especially psychological).
Timing of attacks is especially problematic with the concept of never stopping the wind; in-out, constant motion. In real life, we frequently get no luxurious preparation from conductors (who may in turn be waiting on a stage cue or for a soloist). Releasing the sound exactly the way I would speak solves this problem for me.
I also have little use for gigantic, hysterical breathing. The trumpet doesn't require it.
I don't totally reject any concept out of hand, we are all different, and some players respond better to certain approaches/ideas/concepts than others. I use everything in my teaching, but the vocal models for breathing, articulation, and sound production have brought my playing to a level I never thought I would reach.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to here (read) more about two things in this thread: What is the Valsalva Maneuver; and Peter, please explain more about speech-like releases.

I loved reading how you believe speech and singing models are so useful. Most of my best training and performing has been vocal. When I began my comeback as a trumpet player, I sought to use what I had learned vocally to overcome problems (many of which you describe in this thread) I had in my trumpet playing. I use many singing techniques to better my breathing, projection, etc., but articulation is and has always been a weakness for me.

Thank you ahead of time!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Yes..especially the psychological.
Gate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the request for more about the vocal techniques. My (recent) interest in the "Chicago School" is definitely not interested in copious amounts of air, but rather about the consistent flow of air, and also about the letting the embouchure do its thing. I think this is closely related to the vocal idea. Another insight I had recently was that I would suspect that if someone were to do a scientific study, they'd find that the exact same neuromuscular apparatus that governs speech, governs trumpet playing. When you consider that humans have highly evolved ability for speech, and that most children master the mechanics with little physical analysis, you start to desire an avoidance of 'paralysis by analysis' - that is, if you can sing a passage, there's no physical reason you shouldn't be capable of playing it. I wonder if any speech therapists and brass pedagogues have gotten together and compared notes?

The Valsalva Maneuver is a physical reflex to strain that locks air in your lungs. You experience it when pooping or doing some strenuous activity like lifting something heavy. In those cases, it's helpful. In cases where you want an airstream to exit with good flow, it's the absolute devil.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gate wrote:

The Valsalva Maneuver is a physical reflex to strain that locks air in your lungs. You experience it when pooping or doing some strenuous activity like lifting something heavy. In those cases, it's helpful. In cases where you want an airstream to exit with good flow, it's the absolute devil.

Thank you, and yes I agree it is bad. I actually quit playing trumpet in college because I was doing this to play in the upper register and was developing a hernia from it. I had no idea that there could be another way to play and had heard of many professionals having nylon netting sewn into their abdominal walls. I had no desire to have that done, so I quit. Now, I know better technique and have the same range with much less pain.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across an interesting tip to help articulate a first note cleanly. In David McGill's book, Sound in Motion, he suggested you imagine that the first note is a pickup note, even if it isn't. Pretend that the second beat is the downbeat.

For some reason, this helps one avoid the additional tension we sometimes produce in anticipation of playing the very first note.
Piccolo Stomvi
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I would like to here (read) more about two things in this thread: What is the Valsalva Maneuver; and Peter, please explain more about speech-like releases.

I loved reading how you believe speech and singing models are so useful. Most of my best training and performing has been vocal. When I began my comeback as a trumpet player, I sought to use what I had learned vocally to overcome problems (many of which you describe in this thread) I had in my trumpet playing. I use many singing techniques to better my breathing, projection, etc., but articulation is and has always been a weakness for me.

Thank you ahead of time!

Say; "Tee" or "Too." That's it. You don't "blow" your voice, and if your embouchure isn't dysfunctional, you don't have to "blow" the trumpet. Use no more air or air pressure than you would to sing. There is a bit of hyperbole in this, but not much. Your lips respond like your vocal cords, and you "light up" the instrument. If you must blow to get a sound, you have a less-than-optimal embouchure and may want to tweak it.
Think of the sound happening in your mouth, chest, sinuses, and the first 3 inches of the lead pipe. The trumpet will project what you do (just as it was designed to). If the chops are soft and responsive, the response to articulation will be instantaneous. Staccato notes will feel like little acoustic firecrackers going off inside your mouth.
We don't blow sound through the horn (even those of us who think they do). For many, the idea of constant air flow and "tonguing on the airstream" is actually limiting. At best, it makes everything sound the same. Make your articulation more like talking...tu tu tu...tu Ku tu ku tu...or...du gu du gu...etc.
If you can say it, you can play it.
The high register, though, is different, and requires more physical effort, pressurization, wind speed, embouchure energy, etc., but playing vocally in the middle register is more musical, fluid, and expressive (you can sing aggressively, too. Not everything is a Concone study), and it saves your energy for the register that needs the extra "juice."
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow-up with current Peter's post, I have to quote Peter from 10 years ago (one of my favorite posts/topics ever on TH):

Quote:

To a large degree, knowing exactly what happens and why, doesn't matter. All that matters is the result. If thinking about a chicken salad sandwich or Angelina Jolie covered in chocolate (or Brittany Spears covered in concrete) elicits the desired tone, there's no reason for a player to look any further. One could easily develop a case of paralysis through analysis just by reading your (or my) explanations, be they right or wrong. When that happens, it's all just wasted words.

L'histoire:

I used to have a very literal-minded "tab A into slot B" approach to playing the trumpet; "If I can get instruction on how to operate this machine, then I'll be able to play whatever I want..." It was all about wind speed and muscle control with me. However, I couldn't seem to get the instruction I wanted. Flowery, imprecise explanations from teachers made me nuts.

When I met my wife - a fine singer - her descriptions of her voice lessons and what she thought about in order to sing, baffled and frustrated me; it was nearly all metaphorical. Eventually (better late than never) I realized what Arnold Jacobs tried to emphasize in his teaching: that the physiognomy of playing is so complex, that it can only be successfully addressed through metaphor (all too often, he would then subvert his own message with a medical explanation). We just don't have the sensory apparatus (nerves) to realize precisely what's going on in the lips, mouth, or throat, or abdomen, etc. AND, it's all so overlapping and interconnected, that isolating a single element is nearly impossible. Changes or adjustments then, have to be made by means other than literal explanation.

This is (IMO) the beginning of the art of teaching.

Respectfully,
Peter Bond

crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:

Say; "Tee" or "Too." That's it. You don't "blow" your voice, and if your embouchure isn't dysfunctional, you don't have to "blow" the trumpet. Use no more air or air pressure than you would to sing. There is a bit of hyperbole in this, but not much. Your lips respond like your vocal cords, and you "light up" the instrument. If you must blow to get a sound, you have a less-than-optimal embouchure and may want to tweak it.
Think of the sound happening in your mouth, chest, sinuses, and the first 3 inches of the lead pipe. The trumpet will project what you do (just as it was designed to). If the chops are soft and responsive, the response to articulation will be instantaneous. Staccato notes will feel like little acoustic firecrackers going off inside your mouth.
We don't blow sound through the horn (even those of us who think they do). For many, the idea of constant air flow and "tonguing on the airstream" is actually limiting. At best, it makes everything sound the same. Make your articulation more like talking...tu tu tu...tu Ku tu ku tu...or...du gu du gu...etc.
If you can say it, you can play it.
The high register, though, is different, and requires more physical effort, pressurization, wind speed, embouchure energy, etc., but playing vocally in the middle register is more musical, fluid, and expressive (you can sing aggressively, too. Not everything is a Concone study), and it saves your energy for the register that needs the extra "juice."

Wow. I have been using these concepts in my practice and teaching for some time. It was just a natural conclusion of all my study. I am validated now by reading this from someone of your stature and prowess as a trumpeter. Thank you.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Peter Bond:

The high register, though, is different, and requires more physical effort, pressurization, wind speed, embouchure energy, etc., but playing vocally in the middle register is more musical, fluid, and expressive (you can sing aggressively, too. Not everything is a Concone study), and it saves your energy for the register that needs the extra "juice.

When do you start using more air?
I'm very interested in the idea of no tension. I can play up to G just above the staff without pushing. The same as talking. After that I have to start using a little pressure and a little more air.
INTJ-disable
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all good stuff and similar to what I visualize when playing in the extreme upper register.

I am not sure the description of valsalva is correct. The valsalva maneuver is the very thing that keeps pilots from getting ear and sinus blocks when descending. You take in air, pinch your nostrils closed, keep your mouth closed and glottis closed, and blow until your ears pop.

What is being described here is more of an M-1 maneuver, where a pilot is trying to keep from blacking out under G forces. You take in air and strain against a closed glottis. You do this in short, 2-3 sec bursts. The issue with the M-1 is if you keep at it for too long, 6 sec+, you can blackout from shutting down return blood flow to the heart, very similar to what happens sometimes when we are too tense and are playing in our extreme upper range.

The L-1 maneuver is similar as the M-1 maneuver except you don't close your glottis. The USAF decided that was a better way a few years after they had already taught me the M-1. The L-1 is a better way to approach the extreme upper range of the trumpet, but trumpet players do not need anywhere that much air pressure, and for a trumpet player the glottis should be completely open.

So while I am quibbling with the definitions of things, I do agree with the end result. We need to be as relaxed as possible, using air pressure as efficiently as possible. A relaxed and open glottis gets us there. When we tense up and close the glottis we wind up compensating by adding more air pressure. At best the note shuts off at worse we pass out.

In retrospect, looking at this issue this way helps me understand why I struggled for so long with using too much air pressure. As a young USAF student pilot 30+ (gulp) years ago, I learned the M-1 maneuver (later called the anti-G straining maneuver or AGASM) to avoid blacking out when pulling Gs. When I came back to trumpet, I applied this approach to trumpet. While it helped initially, it wound up being an obstacle to overcome in the long run.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
Quote:
When do you start using more air?

The only thing we really are controlling is air pressure. At any moment you should use the air pressure required for the loudness you want to achieve.

Higher notes DO require more air pressure but you can also continually improve the efficiency of the embouchure with correct practice. Even to the point where there seems to be little difference in the air pressure required for higher pitches.

Never worry about air flow or air speed. Air flow for the sake of air flow is surely a way to inefficiency. Do not believe the "lots of air" hype. Playing efficiently requires less air flow and less air pressure.

But you DO vary the air pressure to vary the loudness.

Quote:
I'm very interested in the idea of no tension.

Do not confuse "tension" and "effort". Playing ALWAYS requires some effort at the embouchure and usually requires effort of "blowing" (but not always).

Tension is opposing muscle groups working against each other. Such as inhale and exhale. Tension can be minimized with correct practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: