• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I had a lesson with Jerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maui_Jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: I had a lesson with Jerry Reply with quote

The Mouthpiece discussion for the Sima (another thread) led to a call to Jerry, which led to a lesson. I have looked at the TCE on YouTube and tried to find what I could online and in forums and it always seemed to elude me. When I was on the phone Jerry told me to, (not necessarily quoting word for word, but for the way I understood it.) tuck my bottom lip in just past my teeth and keep my tongue on the bottom lip. I have struggled with it for a few days, but I think I had a breakthrough and I wanted to confirm it here. I think I was over extending my bottom lip over my teeth. I found when do a slight tuck, it's not any different than I was playing in the first place, except my mouth is open a little wider and I'm actually using my tongue to support my bottom lip to tighten my aperture instead of relying solely on the bottom lip to do the work. I am curling my tongue up to touch my top lip to cut off the air/buzz. I just need to learn to back off on the pressure from pushing the mouthpiece into my lips. I'm finding that out of habit I do this and I'm trying to ease it up.

So, my question is: Do I have the concept and understand it, or did I miss the whole lesson?

Thanks!
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bunched bottom lip must support the mouthpiece pressure. The "trick" is to curl the lower lip in slightly then RESIST it with the forward pressure of the tongue. Yes, it's a balancing act. But get that balance and your performance will skyrocket!

To help ingrain the concept look at pictures of the really great players. They all have a healthy bulge in the lower lip. Concentrate on an easy feel and THE SOUND until you get it.

Best wishes, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: