• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

intermediate horns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: intermediate horns Reply with quote

i am finding that as i age, the intermediate horns are helpful. i'm not a comeback player although i'm just starting to play again after an almost 7 month layoff due to pnemonia. longest layoff i've ever had since i started playing @ 9. i'll be 58 next month.

i'm wondering if any of you feel the same way about "down-sizing."

I've also gone from the world of 5 diameter mpcs. to 10.5 diameter mpcs.

i do not say this type of thing works for all, but maybe for some?

thank you
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe a lesser-quality instrument of any kind helps you play better. If having enough wind is the issue, then a smaller bore horn and/or smaller mouthpiece would make things easier. Note there's no such thing as an intermediate mouthpiece!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intermediate horns are often slightly jazzed up student models.* They're a good deal for makers and dealers. They might play tighter than a professional horn, but so do many student horns - which are far easier to find at much better prices.

If you want a tighter horn, it's possible to find such things in professional models. Something like a 6310Z or 8310Z, or the Jupiter Ingram model might be up your alley.

BGinNJ wrote:
I don't believe a lesser-quality instrument of any kind helps you play better. If having enough wind is the issue, then a smaller bore horn and/or smaller mouthpiece would make things easier. Note there's no such thing as an intermediate mouthpiece!

Indeed. Many intermediate horns are lesser quality.

* There are exceptions. The Getzen intermediate models - (Capri, Eterna II, etc) are very nice horns. I like how some of them play better than many of the Strads I've played. Not all, but some.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the exceptions and it's more a matter of what you get for what you're playing. Some vintage "student" (grr) horns are just as good as any others you might find, and it's still a question of you and the horn together with your mouthpiece. If it works, it works, and who cares how much it cost?

Chet Baker played on a mid-60s Buescher Aristocrat and recorded with it. At the time, those were indeed aggressively marketed to students because that's where the money is. I think we can agree that horn didn't hold him back at all.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: