• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Purpose of Trumpets In Different Keys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Purpose of Trumpets In Different Keys Reply with quote

Complete newb here looking for an answer to a question I had. I have looked for the answer online and couldn't get the clarity and nuance I was looking for... So I'll ask the group here:

What is the purpose of trumpets tuned to different keys? Not speaking of something like a Piccolo or Pocket trumpet, but an Eb trumpet or a C trumpet

It seems to me a regular Bb trumpet can play all the notes the other ones can, so what is the point of buying one that is tuned to a slightly different key?

Also, do you notes read the same? Meaning is an A on the C trumpet still fingers 1 and 2?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpets in different keys have a few reasons to exist. First, if the piece is written for an Eb trumpet and you have one, you read the music and finger the notes the same way you would if reading Bb music on a Bb trumpet. If you try to play music written for an Eb trumpet on a Bb instrument, you have to transpose the notes.

Second, different keyed instruments have a different sound from a Bb, and that sound may be desired for the piece of music being played.

Third, many times the music is easier to play on an instrument in the key it was originally written, with trills, fingerings, and the relative distance between notes being more manageable. This is true many times when transposed parts for Bb are available - they are more difficult to play.

When reading the written notes, the instruments are fingered the same, but a written A on one horn will not be the same note when played on a different keyed horn, even when fingered the same. When tuning a group, a concert Bb is frequently used. On a Bb trumpet, you play a C, but if you had a C trumpet, you would play a Bb. Clear as mud, right?
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a C trumpet, could you read something like Piano sheet music and be in the same key without transposing?
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the different keyed instruments is mostly historical. As the instrument evolved they were made in all sorts of sizes and shapes. Consequently the music written at various times was optimized for the sound and capabilities of instruments popular at that point in time. If you're playing baroque or classical period music you must understand that a modern Bb trumpet didn't exist then.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about the other instrument families- flute/piccolo; Eb/Bb sop/Eb alto/Bb bass/Eb contra alto/Bb contrabass clarinets, soprano/alto/tenor/bari/bass saxes, etc. All different instruments.

Besides what has already been offered- Timbre of an Eb trumpet will generally be lighter and a bit brighter (all other things being equal) than the standby Bb, normal range/tessitura will often be a bit higher, even though one will usually be able to play just as high on the Bb. Usually the same can be said for pic tpt. The shorter length raises the instrument within the harmonic series and a lot of scale/arpeggio patterns that would be difficult on Bb will be more secure on the shorter horn due to the partials being a bit further apart. In reality, it's all about the same as using a tack hammer for tiny nails/tacks rather than a big old claw. Either will work but one generally does less damage to the work and fingers with the proper tool.

(corrected grammar)

Last edited by Craig Swartz on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys give such vivid answers!. Even though I know all this, I enjoy reading your posts.
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I think I understand a bit better now.
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Trumpets in different keys Reply with quote

Most symphony players use a C trumpet as it is "slots" better for most orch. works. A picc is used for Baroque high trumpet parts, but can be used in A with mute for Pictures at an Exhibition. D-Eb for baroque pieces, but great for Haydn as it is easier to play the Concerto. I still want a G trumpet for many Bach Masses and Concertoes, but price for a good Kanstul picc boggles the mind.

Bb makes a great all around trumpet, but trans pose to E sometime. You'll see why.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a few thoughts - Bb trumpets are used from a player's earliest time on the instrument, and are used for a wide range of different purposes. However, most players start using C trumpets when they start learning to play in orchestras, so the sound, feel, and style of orchestral playing is strongly associated with C trumpet for the players that use them.

Personally, I think a part of the preference for C trumpet in orchestra is simply that that is the instrument they associate with that kind of playing, and the instrument they learn the parts on, and learn how to produce their desired orchestral sounds using.

Also, since C trumpets are generally designed for orchestral use where Bb trumpets need to cover a lot of bases, they tend to have characteristics that orchestral players like strong slotting, a focused, brilliant sound with lots of projection, and stable intonation at different volumes. (Or that's the hope, anyway.) Finally, it's sometimes easier for groups of C trumpets to blend and balance than mixed sets of instruments.

But, there are lots and lots of exceptions to all these things. Good musicians are good musicians regardless of the length of tubing of their trumpet, and you can find lots of examples of great balance and blend with different keyed trumpets being played together, Bb playing with great focus, brilliance, etc., etc.

It's basically a question of personal preference, and what makes an individual feel it's easiest to get their desired sound and performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: