• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chops blowing out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Chops blowing out Reply with quote

Hey THers,

I'm not usually on here for tech advice, but in the last week or two I've had major chop issues. I usually practice in the morning for an hour and a half or so every morning for a couple of years and usually have a rehearsal or gig at night, or maybe I might shed some extra stuff.

In the last two weeks, my morning practice sessions have been cut short as my chops start to weaken after the first half hour. It's fine in the lower register, but anything past E in the top space and my sound goes airy. I can push it in, and in fact all the way up to the E above I can play it but if I'm playing up to there it cuts out. Maybe I'm being harder on myself and need a break?

Thoughts...
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorter sessions!!!!!

You are over playing and possibly playing with bad technique (can't see and hear you, only guessing).

Try a week of multiple 15 minute sessions a day, with at least 15 minutes between sessions. If the net practice time goes down, don't worry. The quality of the practice is more important!

Lastly - you probably need to work on ppp playing a lot more, just a hunch.

Good luck, nil desperandum!!! You can be fine!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my morning session, particularly during drills and exercises, I rest as much as I play on a 'micro' level. In other words, rather than 15 or 30 min on, then 15 or 30 off, I'll play a four bar pattern, then rest four bars, etc.
If the pattern is taxing (high) I may stretch the rest a bit longer. Contrary to what one might expect, I actually warm up faster this way.
It works very well, and I can end an hours practice feeling absolutely fresh and ready for anything.
Also, drink plenty of water when you practice.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the issue kicks in at 4th space E (and you have substantial range beyone that) this seems to be a fairly serious issue. Very soft playing could be helpful, I'd also suggest some free buzzing where there is no mouthpiece to hold the embouchure in position. It also may be as simple as just closing your eyes as you play some long tones and concentrate on focussing the tone rather than fixating on what the chops and all that affect them are doing. Very difficult to suggest much else from here. Good luck.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter bond is right. When I start my warmup, I use long tones, but I am careful to rest between the notes for the same length of time as I played. This allows blood to flow through the chop muscles to oxygenate them.

jbq
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good advice already. I will add your body may simply not be co-operating with you in the morning. I go through phases like that, the challenge is to not let this get in your head; still approach the horn with the same mental attitude and approach you have when you're playing at your best. (Then adjust what and how you play so as to not beat yourself up, of course)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: