• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tablets for reading music

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonLindstrom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Tablets for reading music Reply with quote

What are some thoughts on this topic? What brand, models of tablets are recommend? What software should be run.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my iPad and Fourscore. Works fine .

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tablets for reading music Reply with quote

JonLindstrom wrote:
What are some thoughts on this topic? What brand, models of tablets are recommend? What software should be run.

From a practical perspective any tablet would do.

I found an older HP Touchpad on Craigslist for $50 and it works great.

Most of the music files I've seen are in PDF format, so any free PDF reader app should work nicely.
1948 Holton Model 48
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tablets for reading music Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:
Most of the music files I've seen are in PDF format, so any free PDF reader app should work nicely.

ForScore and other music apps have features that make them much better than a vanilla PDF reader.

For instance you can do non-destructive markups on the music. You can create set lists that bring up each piece as you step through the set page by page. You can easily copy and paste pages to allow you to always go forward for repeats and DC/DS.

Find something that has a mount that can go on a mic or music stand base. The ipad has a bunch of options like that. I found that I needed the music closer in order to read it easily and not setting the iPad on the music rack allowed me to play past the iPad. But this created a new problem, no feedback from the sound bouncing on the stand.

I purchased bluetooth pedals that allowed me to step forward and backwards through the pages without using hands.

I no longer use the iPad though. The drawbacks for me were:
Markups during rehearsal were slow.
If the charge got low I needed my standard book too.
When new music was passed out I needed a music stand just for that.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an iPad with ForScore software and an AirTurn bluetooth foot pedal. I use it more often for dress rehearsal and concert performances, less often for general rehearsals. I also use it when practicing at home or at lessons using method ebooks in PDF format.

I turn the iPad sideways (landscape mode), which expands the music to full size, although it shows just over a half a page at a time. But with the foot pedal, page turns are fairly easy, so that isn't a problem.

The setlist feature is great. You can run through an entire concert without ever reaching for the music stand... just tap, tap, tap the foot pedal. The tablet also solves the problem of stand lights in a dark performance hall. However, it doesn't work outside in direct sunlight.

I scan my music as PDFs and upload them to Dropbox. The ForScore software has a good integration with Dropbox, which makes it easy to keep a big library there and download what I need to the tablet.
Piccolo Stomvi
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate seeing those things on the gig. I'm always hoping the power goes out.

Here's something for you pad readers and tech freaks to think about:

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/10/worlds-first-biometric-credit-card-will.html
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:

Why do you care?

If it works for someone else how does it negatively impact you in any way?

When my son borrows my tablet he's got copies of Arban, Clarke, Schlossberg, Real Books 1 - 3, and lots of other music to work with.

Just because the technology is relatively new it doesn't make it bad.
1948 Holton Model 48
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:

Here's something for you pad readers and tech freaks to think about:

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/10/worlds-first-biometric-credit-card-will.html

I don't get the connection you are drawing between the topic of this post and this link.!

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because one can, doesn't mean one should. Especially with electronic and computer technology.

Quote:
When my son borrows my tablet he's got copies of Arban, Clarke, Schlossberg, Real Books 1 - 3, and lots of other music to work with.

Where are they? Is it harmful to look at a screen that intently while practicing? What happens when George Jetson gets a sore button pushing finger, and now can't do anything real with his little wimpy body?

Where are your books?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been around a few though do not own one. I don't have any problem with others using them. Definitely nicer than paging through a big binder/folder of sheets to find songs for the set, then having to re-file after the gig, not to mention (so I shall) papers flying during the gig during a fast page turn or quick transition to the next tune. Also nice to mark up in color and without having to erase the paper.

My main complaint, and reason I don't have one, is it's hard to fit some of those big pages on a relatively small screen. And accidentally tapping time on the page turner at your foot can make life interesting...
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Just because one can, doesn't mean one should. Especially with electronic and computer technology.

Quote:

Where are they? Is it harmful to look at a screen that intently while practicing? What happens when George Jetson gets a sore button pushing finger, and now can't do anything real with his little wimpy body?

Where are your books?

The books are in our music room on the shelf. All are scanned to PDF format for use on tablets/monitors as desired.

Again, why do you care?

Your main argument against them seems to be "I don't like the idea".
1948 Holton Model 48
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I care? Because I care about humanity. Are you excluding yourself from that group?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little harsh guys, tone it down...
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: reading sheet music on Tablets Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards a 10.5" Samsung Tab because of the size, how it lets you drag PDF's and other files to it from Windows, and the good review from Consumer Reports.

On the other hand, those newer Kindle e-readers like the "Paperwhite" appear to have great contrast and a battery life of several days. Anyone on TH try a newer Kindle for reading PDF music?

Other ideas for carrying a sheet music library around?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Why do I care? Because I care about humanity.

I waited a couple days on this in the hopes that some rational explanation might be forthcoming, but that hasn't happened.

So how exactly is humanity endangered by people using an ipad (or some other sub-standard tablet device) for sheet music instead of paper?

I have been waiting (in vain) for some time for a ~13" ipad with the hopes of replacing a LOT of books that I end up carrying around currently.

Arban
St. Jacome
Franquin
^^ those three alone exceed the carryon weight restrictions for some small commuter flights.

Clarke
Schlossberg
Irons
The old (and good version) of the Cichowicz flow studies
A bunch of Rich Willey's books
A slew of other method books
Solo / duet material
Quintet music
excerpts
on and on.

Plus music folders for a brass band, three different orchestras, 2 different wind ensembles, and an occasional show book.

I'd *love* to not have to keep up with all that stuff and a whole lot more that I could just throw up on dropbox from my PC and access on a tablet anywhere. I could keep the originals in the car just in case I suppose, but with well over a day of battery life from a lot of modern tablets, I'm not sure I'd ever need it.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be allowed to explain. You will have to ponder why using all this "technology" is a detriment to humanity. I hope you dig deep. You are blessed to have all these books, and your big problem is carrying them around . . .

I'm curious as to why you have to carry them around.

What exercises in the Arban's do you have to read?

Why would you even need to open the Clarke? It's just major scale and cord patterns. Memorize the model.

Irons? Flexibilities and tonguing. Schlossberg - same thing.

Once you play through these things a few times, you shouldn't need to read them. Things you are still working on, you could copy and carry in a folder.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Randy and I too am hoping for a bigger iPad. I shall buy one for sure. Technology, love it. I get emailed music for one band, I can copy it to Forscore and read it anywhere, anytime and notate it at my leisure.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
I will not be allowed to explain.

The trilateral commission will stop you? Zombies? New World Order? Masons? Aliens?

Perhaps you need one of these:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

I'm saying this only because you so often indirectly reference some unnamed conspiracy.

It was really a simple question. Why is using a tablet to replace paper sheet music a problem that endangers humanity? You either have a real answer, or you don't. I don't need to be told to go commune with nature, or gaze into my true self, etc. Save that for the next Vortex Crystal convention in AZ.

I obviously don't carry *all* of those items at the same time, because it would be problematic in paper form. The point is, it would be possible with a suitable tablet. Other than possibly limiting the number of logging jobs, I don't see the problem. Pray tell, enlighten us.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
crzytptman wrote:
I will not be allowed to explain.

The trilateral commission will stop you? Zombies? New World Order? Masons? Aliens?

Perhaps you need one of these:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

I'm saying this only because you so often indirectly reference some unnamed conspiracy.

It was really a simple question. Why is using a tablet to replace paper sheet music a problem that endangers humanity? You either have a real answer, or you don't. I don't need to be told to go commune with nature, or gaze into my true self, etc. Save that for the next Vortex Crystal convention in AZ.

I obviously don't carry *all* of those items at the same time, because it would be problematic in paper form. The point is, it would be possible with a suitable tablet. Other than possibly limiting the number of logging jobs, I don't see the problem. Pray tell, enlighten us.

Why get so worked up over someone else's opinion? There have always been people who are against new technology, like the Luddites in the industrial revolution. As long as Nate doesn't physically take it out on others it really doesn't matter.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little ironic to complain about technology by posting on the Internet, though.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: