• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maynard Ferguson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering. But what do you guys think of Maynard Ferguson? Just a screamer? I happend to think that he makes great arrangements and back in his prime when he was younger no one even comes close to playing like him. Just go and listen to some of those clips of Maynard Ferguson on that trumpetstuff web page. It is unbelivable.
And it sounds like as if through out the years his tone changes in different recordings and stuff. But the power it's just amazing. What do you guys think of Maynard Ferguson.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have followed Maynard for the past twenty two years and I have never been disappointed. I just saw him and the Band two weeks ago here in Ohio and the performance was astounding! His Lead player (Patrick Hession) is in the same league as Ingram and company. The guy missed nothing all night and even played several of Maynards parts ("Sunny Side of the Street") ... Maynard is "pacing" himself more now but his sound is better than I have heard in several years! It is big ... fat and loud! He did play a peddle tone in one lick ...! He missed nothing all night and hit the dubba C and beyond several times. He looked rested and in good health. I'd sya he is unbelievable at ... what, 73 years of age!? Bud Herseth once referred to him as the "greatest brass player of the 20th century." The new CD "Swinging For Schuur" is very entertaining and features Maynard and the Band alot ... with Diane Schuur of course!
unclebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! Maynard has had his influence on all of us. First heard him in the ninth grade. I think my trumpet player band director played the Mcarther Park album for our jazz band. The following year we saw him in concert. It is such a blast to listen to him play.
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, Maynard...

I started listening to Maynard back in the mid 70's with albums (remember albums) like MF2 and MF3, Conquistador, Camelion, Primal Scream, and New Vintage. I was in Junior High. A bunch of us would just wear those records out. Stuff still gives me chills whenever I play it.

Unique thing was that I was trying (at 13) to play along with that stuff, and having quite a lot of success. I would play along for hours. Ever heard a 13 year old kid hitting high G's and A's ?(and you know which one's I mean-four leger lines up). Important thing was that no one was telling me I had any limits, and Maynard was showing me how. I had the notes, but maybe not with the power one would really want.

Since then, I've become professional and my embouchure has been refined. I hardly ever use range over D's, E's, or F's professionally. Funny thing is I can't even hit some of the stuff I was doing as a kid (granted-I don't need it). But what I do have up there is solid, powerful, and dependable. Somehow, I think I owe that to Maynard. For sheer inspiration alone.

JC.

[ This Message was edited by: NCTrumpet on 2002-02-23 00:41 ]
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, like Redhot, saw MF a cpl weeks ago. At 73, he and Doc, 74, serve as an inspiration. Does Maynard play as high as he used to, more specifically, as long? No, but give the guy a break.
Bud Herseth calling Maynard the top tpter of the 20th century is like, well, the ultimate compliment.
I knew I'd enjoy MF. Patrick Hession, Ernnie Hammes, Kevin Meads et al. were a joy. Hession is strong. Hammes is at home soloing.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com

[ This Message was edited by: Cozy on 2002-02-23 02:58 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love listening to Maynard. It is amazing that despite being able to scream, he really does make music in all his high register playing. It is hard to tell how high he is playing at times simply because of the singing nature. I always get fired up after hearing Maynard play.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard is awesome. The first time I saw him play was when Stan Mark was his lead trumpet. When they were playing La Fiesta they were trading licks going above double C. There were times when it sounded like Maynard was screaming a note and then you would look up to see it was Stan Mark playing. Just when you thought he could play as well as Maynard, Maynard would come in on a higher note so strong, it would just blow you away.

He was also doing the theme from Rocky alot as well as Mcarthur Park. Some truly awesome stuff.
rbuser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey redhot - was probably at the same concert you were at in hudson. was a GREAT show - maynard was hot AND from where we sat say in the back his lead patrick was hot ALL night - absolutely incredible.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-04 20:47 ]
BikeLawyer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard, man, he was the MAN in our horn section in high school, mid 70s, and college. I still play a bit every day and push Give It One, Chameleon or Country Roads into the Silent Brass for immediate gratification and high note relief!
Steve Magas
Attorney at Law

"Music was originally discreet, seemly, simple, masculine, and of good morals. Have not the moderns rendered it lascivious beyond measure?" - Jacob of Liege, 1425
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard, as evidenced by the previous posts, has influenced a whole generation of trumpet players. Sometimes this has been to the chagrin of many of the so called, "legit players". Bud Herseths admiration of him and feeling that he is the best Brass Player of our generation changed that. There have been many other high note players - including sevral that play higher then Maynard but there is something about Maynards playing that still sends chills down my spine. His sound is so distinctive that it is easiably recognizable. I have followed him since around 1969 and I am still as thrilled to hear him today as I did back then. He is scheduled to be close to Atlanta in May and I plan to be at that concert.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Maynard refered to as the best jazz trumpet player in the world and the worst jazz trumpet player in the world by the same person. The reasoning is that the earlier Maynard stuff wasn't the commercial stuff that really made him famous and the guy didn't care for the later stuff.

As for me, Maynard probably has had the biggest influence on my life as a musician simply because I listen to him more than any other trumpet player.

I also think that he has had more influence on trumpet players and playing than any other single player in the history of the horn.

He's the Man, he's the Boss, and I will never stop listening to his recordings, both new and old. The guy was and is, simply amazing!

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-02-24 11:58 ]
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard has been my hero since 1976 when I saw him in concert at Rolling Meadows (IL.) High School. Since then, I've seen him play live 35 times in various venues and have accumulated 50+ albums and cd's. My favorite Maynard era is the 70's, beginning with MF Horn (my favorite LP). I think he and his band were at the top of their game during those years.
Mike Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard Ferguson's brilliant Sydney concert held in The Basement last Friday night and webcast live will be repeated on Tuesday 26 and Wednesday 27 Feb.

Set 1 will be played at AEDST 7am and again at AEDST 1pm on Tuesday 26 Feb.

Set 2 (featuring guest appearance from James Morrison) will be at AEDST 7am and at AEDST 1pm on Wed 27 Feb.

So log on to http://www.thebasement.com.au in the next next couple of days to catch Maynard and his mighty band!
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up first listening to Maynard in the 80's with one of my trumpet playing friends. One of the earliest Maynard tunes that knocked me out was "Fugue". The playing on that recording will make your head spin!! I have seen him in concert many times and my band fraternity in college got to get their picture taken with him.

Maynard is legendary and his music will live on for generations to come inspiring all trumpet players.
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard is the "BOSS". His sound in every range is amazing. He screams a lot but he is not only a screamer. Some of his flugelhorn solos are really really filled with emotion.

He is one of my trumpet-heroes. His playing motivates me to get better every time I listen to his great recordings.

[ This Message was edited by: evolution on 2002-03-04 05:05 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...one of the funniest write ups I saw said....

''MAYNARD FERGUSON.....HE LOOKS LIKE YER GRANDMOTHER.....

...BUT HE'LL BLOW YOU OUTTA THA ROOM!!''

THE BOSS!!!

Roddy

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: