• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Performance vs. Music Ed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Please don't go into teaching for the money. If you don't want to teach, then don't.

This +1000000.

I've seen so many people who seem to do a music degree just so they can have a few more years of band class, only to do ed so that "they can have a job." First, it's no guarantee of a job. Second, if you truly can't picture yourself standing in front of a class and teaching, and enjoying it, then don't do it. You'll be in a job you hate, and not only does that affect you, but it affects the education of all the students in your class. Better to back off and let someone else with the passion and temperament for that sort of thing do it. I was in the same boat way back when I started my undergrad, but I chose performance. I'm currently a poor starving grad student, but at least I'm not screwing over a bunch of students by taking a job I can't stand.

Of course, if public school teaching is something you want to do, all the more power to you! I have mad respect for teachers, and the public in general definitely doesn't give them the respect they deserve these days, so anyone willing to honestly enter the profession has my admiration.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's, and Jadickson's posts.

As per the state of Music Ed: Music teaching jobs, particularly instrumental positions have changed much over the past 25 years. When I started my formal teaching career in 1974, it was possible to land a band-only job in even the smallest districts in a state such as Iowa. As more and more emphasis has been placed on areas not concerned with actual academic education, the band gigs started to merge with vocal, then general Mu ed was added and today one may find themselves being the only music staff in a fairly good sized building or district. When I started in Des Moines in 1987, I had the entire band program in a Class 4A building in the inner city. (The other 4 HS buildings had at least 1.5 FTEs, 3 had 2 FTEs.) After leaving the HS, I returned to the same place nerly 25 years later and now had the entire HS program with marching, jazz, pep, contests, etc, plus the band programs in 3 elementary buildings. When I was informed after 2 years of this that a middle school and at least one more elementary were to be added the following year, I took the early retirement. WTH? I still love teaching, but there was no longer any room to be effective, or affective. I'd already worked 3 more years than were required, anyway.

The elementary general music gigs in a district such as Des Moines Public are still retained in the curriculum primarily to allow teachers in the core areas to get their break and prep time. IMO- these "specials" have routinely become dumping grounds and it takes a highly creative individual to handle all of the demands. Usually, though, one who is highly creative can also find better things to do with his/her life after a couple of years in this kind of system. I'm not sure that message is getting out there from the universities very well. I taught trumpet methods at a well-known university last spring and it amazed me how little the string and vocal ed majors wanted to put into the work involved- WTH? They were going to teach orchestras, or fine choir programs. I'd not bet on it, especially not at the start. If one expects a music teaching job in the future, they need to prepare to do it all. I fear it will get much worse before it gets better.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice, Craig, and congratulations for a great career.

I wish I had taken more classes in college about how to teach elementary music. There are so many more elementary jobs out there than band jobs. And elementary age kids are a lot of fun, and hungry to learn.

Anyway, the point of my original post is this: I think we have all had a teacher who didn't seem like they really want to be there. They were just kind of half-***ing it. Maybe they were old and burned out, or maybe they never really wanted to teach.

It doesn't matter, the result is the same: that teacher denied you what could have been a powerful educational experience. Damage was done. Kids who could have become passionate about that subject were instead turned off.

Don't be that guy. Don't be the selfish guy who is only there because he needs a pay check. You will cause damage to hundreds of kids who deserve a teacher who cares.

Our profession is in peril. Band is not getting MORE popular. We need teachers who care and who are looking for ways to stay relevant, or we will go extinct. We are fighting for our existance, just like companies do in the private sector every day. If you don't want to join the fight, if you don't want to care, then please do not join our profession.

*steps down off of soapbox*
CRtrumpet2052

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in school, the differences between the two are somewhat blurred. Whether you are in music ed or performance, you will get the same playing opportunities, take from the same teachers, and have the same chance of playing in ensembles. You'll also take the same "core" classes like Theory, History, and Piano. Some performance majors may be in your conducting classes too.

Music ed students, however, will usually take many more classes, and require much more credits to graduate than performance majors. For example, performance majors' lessons may count for 4 credits while music ed lessons count for 2. You'll hear performance students asking people for good electives to take so they can fill out their schedule, while ed majors often have to take courses and ensembles for 0 credits, just so they can graduate (somewhat) on time.

One thing I've noticed is that since performance majors have less hectic schedules, they can focus more on practicing, especially in the mornings. But you should know, it's not how much you practice, it's HOW you practice.

Going off of what others said, don't enter education unless you really want to teach. I'd recommend doing a double major if you enjoy both. With either degree, you're going to be busy, so best get that in your head now than later.
Two pieces of advice: 1. Take lessons with the trpt. profs. at the schools you are looking at. Multiple if possible. You'll get a sense of if you work well with them and they will get a sense of how well you can play. After all, you'll be spending 4-5 years with them.
2. Focus especially on the audition on your instrument. Even if the music ed faculty accepts you, you might not get in if the trpt. prof. doesn't think you are skilled enough to enter.

Good luck, and keep working hard!
Yamaha Xeno C, Gold Brass Bell
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
A trombone player I went to school with was an anthropology major. He played extra with the Minnesota orchestra and went on to play lead with Buddy Rich and ended up in the Tonight Show band with Doc. Nobody asked about his degree. An ed degree qualifies you to teach, a performance degree qualifies you to go for a masters degree. That's about it.

Charlie Pikler, principal violist with the Chicago Symphony, told me that his degree was in math.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two degrees are quite different. A music ed degree requires many, many education courses where you learn psychology, conducting, all brasses, all woodwinds, strings, percussion, etc. which takes away so much of your practice and ensemble time. Very few students have the talent, drive, and energy to do concurrent ed and performance degrees. Getting certified to teach in the public schools of whatever state you are applying is another huge hurdle, requiring the passing of a difficult written exam.

Performance degrees require the same basic music theory and music history courses that ed majors also have to take, but the majority of time can be devoted to practice, lessons, ensembles, and recitals. Generally, a performance major will be expected to do 400% more playing than a typical ed major. This will make a gigantic difference when it comes to landing a full-time playing job or getting into a top graduate program.

My advice for high school students who are considering which degree to select, is to play for a university or conservatory teacher or graduate performance student (pay for a lesson if necessary) to get honest feedback about your chances of getting into a good school in performance. I do not recommend enrolling in a dinky, no-name school because its standards may be lower. This type of school likely has not so good ensembles and competition. IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD. You need to be with the best students and teachers you can!

Unfortunately, too many public schools are full of substandard music teachers who never really wanted to be in music education, but did so as a "fallback," because they doubted their abilities in music performance. My personal feeling is that each student must follow their dream, but be realistic in the process. Performance degrees are not for everyone, but then neither are ed degrees. Each takes a ton of dedication and hard work to do well.

David Hickman
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many examples of professional musicians that have
gone into public school teaching and are very fine dedicated teachers.
Just becuase someone earns their living full time as a working musician
in their younger years, let's say twenties maybe early thirties, and has settled down, perhaps gotten married and had children, and they make the decision to go into teaching to support their family. It does not automatically follow that they are NOT going to be a
fine dedicated teacher. The two are not mutually exclusive.
In fact I would go so far as to say that many young college students get their education credential with that very idea in mind, working as a musician in their younger years until they meet that special someone, marry and settle down and have kids and then put their teaching credential to use. It is really easy to be all high minded and moral and speak in generalities. It does not automatically follow that someone in the situation that I described above is going to be a person who hates teaching and doesn't want to be there and therefore is not a good and effective teacher.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"dinky, no name school".... that is insulting !

IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE AN IDIOT! !!!
It takes two good parents to raise a child !!!
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the trumpet instructor at a "dinky, no-name school" I absolutely agree with Mr. Hickman. If a student has the talent and desire to go to Juilliard, Colburn, or some other school like that, they'd be insane to come study with me instead.

Sadly though, only a tiny minority have that kind of talent and desire. Should everyone else just give up? I don't think that's necessary!

Come to my dinky school and major in accounting or nursing. Take ear training, lessons, and play in the ensembles. It'll be fun, you'll improve your musical understanding, and maybe even have a real job when you graduate (unlike most of the extraordinarily talented graduates of famous schools across the world).

I am a huge supporter of the concept of the music minor. Many of my former music major colleagues are depressed, anxious, poor, and bitter. But, my wife (a former music minor) is quite happy in her three amateur orchestras. The audiences are full, and the people on stage are having a good time. I think that's what most prospective music majors really want out of music. You don't have to be "professionalized" or "credentialed" to achieve a reasonable proficiency and enjoy making music.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a music enthusiastic who took the Engineering schools path. But I have three siblings who all earned degrees related to Arts Performance.

In general, I would recommend that an 18-year-old with a passion for the arts pursue an associate's degree with exposure to the fundamentals writing, math, personal finance, and science... i.e. Like if high school were to go an additional two years.
* Participate in good ensembles and get lots of performance experience.
* Then take a break from school of at least one-half-year, and travel around the country and abroad a little;
* Reflect on your experiences and think about the future. Be prepared to talk and write about your experiences.

An Associate's Degree is money better spent on the fundamentals; And one can think more clearly without the extra debt, peer pressure from old friends, and expectations from your parents.

I make a comfortable living, but in hindsight, I could have arrived here with less school years and more travel and cultural experiences.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think it depends on the school you end up at. Where I went to undergrad, I needed the time to practice that being a performance major afforded me. And I could not get quality practice time while in marching band (my school required it for at least 2 years). I also got to be around more people who were serious about playing at a high level as a performance major. But it is not like that at every school.

Both paths have their strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of jobs that aren't performing but having a performer's degree helps, like arts administration. That you have to be an orchestral musician if you go into performance is a huge misnomer. There is chamber music, private teaching, college teaching, arts admin, or hell, create something new entirely. But, again, not all schools/teachers/situations work with that mindset.

For me, I can not imagine teaching a band for hours every day, dealing with weird administration, national standards, state band conferences, all of the money/bureaucratic politics around music education, etc, unless I truly wanted to teach at a band program. But you have to be kind of crazy to be really good in the performance field- willing to travel a LOT, maybe put off some big life things a little longer, play some really weird gigs, learn languages you never thought you'd learn, write grants... who knows what. I think the spirit to do things differently than a 9-5 job was what got me into, and keeps me in, the performance field.

If you don't love teaching band, and you don't love the idea of having a crazy who-knows-what-will-happen life, you should be an engineer
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:

If you decide to get a performance degree I suggest hanging out in the lobby of the nursing building so you can have a chance at marrying a chick that can get a job... and has a nurturing personality.

QFT. Also, 10,000 comedians on the breadline and you got jokes?

trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoooa, slow down HOMECOOKIN! I never meant to insult anyone. My point about the smaller schools was very general, meaning that the better the school, the better the ensembles and professors usually are.

Your point about going into performance, performing professionally for a number of years, then teaching in the public schools is fine. But, don't you think it will be difficult to become state certified if you 1) have not had any college ed classes for years, 2) have never done student teaching at a school for a semester, 3) do not have the music education coursework in your background, or 4) have not passed the required state general education courses?

True, ANYONE who is qualified in music can sometime be hired as a one-year replacement, or in the event that no certified applicants have applied. But these circumstances are almost always temporary in the public schools. Of course, private charter schools do not always require state certification, and colleges may choose their own requirements.

I have been teaching college music majors for 43 years. What is your experience?

DH
BFlinch83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a performance-only major. I was and ended up getting my music ed certification 8 years after graduating under grad. Am now a full time middle school band director in a great school with great students, play gigs on the side all the time, and teach 24 trumpet students per week. Benefits are really nice to have and so is a steady paycheck. I didn't realize I'd love teaching until I went into it.

You need to look no further than the Orchestra part of this website to see the lock-outs, strikes, and other work-related issues occurring in orchestras all over the country. It was never a sure thing this performance path, but today, with audiences aging, subsidies being cut, and management trying to squeeze every last penny that they can, things are rough.

Being a performance-only major only guarantees you one thing...debt.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:

...My advice for high school students who are considering which degree to select, is to play for a university or conservatory teacher or graduate performance student (pay for a lesson if necessary) to get honest feedback about your chances of getting into a good school in performance. I do not recommend enrolling in a dinky, no-name school because its standards may be lower. This type of school likely has not so good ensembles and competition. IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD. You need to be with the best students and teachers you can!

Unfortunately, too many public schools are full of substandard music teachers who never really wanted to be in music education, but did so as a "fallback," because they doubted their abilities in music performance. My personal feeling is that each student must follow their dream, but be realistic in the process. Performance degrees are not for everyone, but then neither are ed degrees. Each takes a ton of dedication and hard work to do well.

David Hickman
After my earlier "overkill", this is about as real as it gets.

In a nutshell: You will need a MU Ed degree to teach in most public and private, accredited K-12 schools. You may not need any degree to make a living playing trumpet, but you'll need to be damn good and you'll need to acquire that somewhere, along with some necessary networking. None of these gigs (teaching or playing) come easy any longer. College is expensive and takes away probably a minimum of 4 years where one could be earning money rather than spending it on school, books, etc. Getting a true, unbiased assessment of where one is at present is essential before going any route.

As per the "dinky, no name schools"; my older brother was an outstanding horn player through HS and we both were part of a truly nationally recognized public school music program. He chose a small school where I don't believe he improved his playing at all during the 4 years- our HS band could play music the college band couldn't even comprehend. He did go on to complete 43 years teaching band and his education degree served him well but I think his old Kruspe has probably been sitting in a closet since he got his bachelor's degree. I;m always glad I turned down his alma mater's offer.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the faculties of many smaller schools and community colleges are often staffed by well established and highly experienced working professionals. Sometimes these are the same teachers and players who staff the larger, big name schools in the area. I also notice that many teachers and players at smaller schools often have excellent credentials and playing resumes and more importantly, a reputation for taking players with modest skills a preparing them for greater demands and expectations. Smaller ponds can be a great place to develop before diving into the deep end. I wouldn't sell them short.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, let me be clear. I am not referring to "small" schools in major cities that have leading professionals teaching there as adjunct faculty, and have excellent reputations as quality schools. I was referring to schools (usually small because they are not very good) that have music departments of less quality than most high schools. They will sometimes accept anyone who can hold a horn because they need to keep the number of music majors up, for budget reasons, mostly. I am also aware of some smaller, but excellent schools in the sticks, but these are not what I was referring to, either.
I_play_trmpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to teach, don't waste your time getting an ed degree. I don't want someone who isn't passionate about teaching and did ed as a fallback degree teaching music to my kid. It is as simple as that.

If you want to do performance, make sure you educate yourself on the availability of jobs, and the difficulties ahead, and be prepared to practice your butt off.

If you don't get into a good school for performance you should take a hint and do something else. There are too many unemployed trumpet performance majors out there. Get your education in something else you are passionate about and do music for fun.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best answer yet, Hunter. BINGO!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayV wrote:
Many of my former music major colleagues are depressed, anxious, poor, and bitter. But, my wife (a former music minor) is quite happy in her three amateur orchestras. The audiences are full, and the people on stage are having a good time. I think that's what most prospective music majors really want out of music. You don't have to be "professionalized" or "credentialed" to achieve a reasonable proficiency and enjoy making music.

Excellent points here. Some of the most bitter, burned out and depressed people I know are music majors that didn't "make it" the way they wanted in the field. 20-30 years later, they're just miserable, and miserable to be around.

Obviously not talking about the successful pros that *did* make it, but the bulk of the people with a lot of music school paper that didn't achieve what they had in mind when they went down that path.

Contrast that with people like your wife, who derive joy and fulfillment from music throughout their lives, even though they didn't get the paper, or get to play in world class ensembles or go on to a solo career. They have a smile on their face at every rehearsal or gig, and don't walk around with a huge chip on their shoulder.

My hat is off to everyone that puts in the effort and actually gets what they wanted out of a music career, perhaps even more, but as has been said already, it's not for everyone and the odds are very much stacked against most people that go down that path.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: