• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Loyal Customers !!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Loyal Customers !! Reply with quote

This post is only to say Thank You !!

11 yrs. ago today a sold a Flip Oakes Bb Wild Thing Trumpet to Roger Lane in Somerset, KY., I don't even know if Roger is on this site. Roger just called me again as he has every Nov.18th. to thank me for his Wild Thing Trumpet. He's never missed a year, and I always look forward to the next year. Now I know a lot of you get tired of reading about the Wild Thing, and most of you have never seen or played one. That's Okay, BUT I do want to thank each and everyone of you that has, and is a proud owner. I'm a little one guy operation struggling in today's world, and am so thankful for those who support me.

Roger, and all of my loyal owners are very special to me, and I personally publicly want to say THANK YOU ROGER, and I look forward to next Nov.18th. God Willing for both of us...

Sincerely,

Flip Oakes
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Flip. Hope you have many more successful years.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Flip! My stable is still intact and playing well:

Wild Thing Bb (#50, ca. 1998)
Flip Oakes (Nice Thing) C (one of the first three)
Wild Thing Flugelhorn (in gold, first one!)
Wild Thing Cornet
Kanstul 1523 D/Eb (purchased from and set up by Flip)
Kanstul 1520 A/Bb/G picc (Flip and Tim Wendt had a hand in this one)

Lots of memories through the years of seeing Flip play and meeting after (or before) the gig, many emails and phone calls, talking with other Wild customers (Arturo for an hour-plus late one night was a real treat!), a few ups and downs (on both our parts, but never down with each other).

Embarrassingly, never thought about a thank you on the anniversaries, don't even remember when for most of them. At least I remember my marriage anniversary (Flip is much more forgiving if I forget!)

Keep on tootin', Flip - Wild Don
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , Flip! Hope you keep at it a good long time!

Love my 2 WTs, trumpet ~ 1 year old and copper belled short cornet a few years old. Keepers.
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering questions and providing guidance through both forum posts and PM's. Personal service is almost gone these days but I is still appreciate it greatly. And yes, I love my WT.
TrumpetRan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still enjoying my WT after 13 years!
Thanks Flip for creating a great horn.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used WT ( the owner was getting a new one from Flip), had to wait 3 months before I could try it. It was in AZ waiting for my yearly visit. It was not love at first play, or even second. It took about 3 months before I got the mouthpiece and slide combination that I liked. Now it's my favourite horn. One day I will buy a new one from you. Thanks Flip.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
mrsemman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an intermediate player at best, I still love how the Wild Thing makes me sound. The horn is what drives me to practice every day.

The other aspect, is that of the seller. Mr. Oakes. His friendliness in dealing made purchasing the Wild Thing an easy situation. He is fair in trading used horns, and especially shipping them.

Thank You Flip! and keep up the great work.

Gary
Zeus Guarnerius Flugelhorn
Kanstul G Bugle
Jin Boa Bass Trumpet
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I don't own a Wild Thing, I did buy a really nice used Kanstul CHI1000 from Flip a few months ago. I really appreciate the personalized service, down to the phone call from Flip to go over the details. I think a plus too was how he preps his used horns before selling them. Mine came with a complimentary ultrasonic cleaning and valve alignment. I'm a repair tech by trade, so usually I'm not too concerned about the alignment or if I have to clean a horn when I get it in because this is what I do every single day of my life, but for the rest of the population out there, this one little extra touch is enough that I wholeheartedly recommend Flip for his used horns too! You know the instrument has been gone through and set up properly. This is an extremely valuable service and gives the buyer peace of mind that the horn is going to be OK. Wishing you continued success, Flip!!!

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Flip!

Well, there's really nothing much to say beyond that.

When I received the horn, I couldn't play it in tune. I called Flip to arrange a return. He extended my trial period and expressed, politely, the opinion that I was using a mouthpiece that really was inappropriate for the WT. (It was an unmarked prototype of what became the Callet "Solo.") Flip gave me some suggestions on mouthpieces to test play, and, funny but you know, he was right, Thanks, Flip.

I am an early passenger on the Wild Thing express and I was probably the first owner to drop a WT in concrete paved parking lot while getting ready for a dawn salute in April in a national park in New England. (The brand new horn made it through "To The Colors" alright, but I thought my world had ended.) Flip fixed my bell and then used a "new tool" to add some complimentary tweaks that he was applying to his new horns (just to ease my angst, I think). Thanks, Flip.

Last night, rehearsing for an outdoor concert that goes along with the lighting of Rudolph the Red Nosed Pump Jack in Lufkin, Texas (pump jack provided, with lights and antlers by Lufkin Industries), the conductor asked me if I could play a passage up an octave. (Are you kidding? I play a WT and that request is like a dream!!!) The lady alto clarinet player who sits right in front of me, about yard from my bell, turned around after we played the line and said: "I was worried, but those high notes were really beautiful." Wow! I'm glad I play a WT. Thanks, Flip.

Did I forget to say "Thanks for everything, Flip?"

Tommy T.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for everyone who has received a WT instrument from Flip, and i have a trumpet and a flugel, we all have gotten the better of the deal. there will only be a limited amount of these horns that will ever be built. i have two of them.
i would call Flip as well on the anniversaries if there were words to express how i feel. thank you for the joy of the experience will have to suffice.
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to co-sign what has been said about Flip ...............

He and his wife where very gracious to my wife and grand daughter in my one visit to try the Wild Thing............... and his Flugel Horn .................

I left without a new instrument that day with a future purchase of a Wild Thing in mind................

Thank You Flip for your hospitality and putting up with my playing your Wild Thing, you are an honorable man .................

May you be blessed in your future ........................

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip -

Like many small businesses, you stand apart because of your customer service and support. You're as invested in the instruments as we are, and you show that you want us to be happy with them. You've patiently answered every question I've asked from the very first time I contacted you.

I'll never forget the time we visited about 10 years ago, just so I could meet you and try the trumpet I'd heard about. When we spoke by phone, we were clear that I was there to try but not to buy, and you welcomed us to the shop. There was no pressure to buy - you let the horn do the talking. It took about 3 notes to hear the difference compared to the horn I played at the time (which is an excellent horn that I still have).

You'll also remember that we left with a shiny new trumpet and Walt Johnson case. No plans to buy, but my wife decided that a trumpet would make a great anniversary gift.

That purchase has grown to three horns, each with its own story, and various slides and mouthpieces. All bought without hesitation because of the first experience.

So thank you for taking the business risk to design, produce, and refine the instruments that I enjoy every day.

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is to once again thank the man who sought me out and became my closest and most faithful friend. There will always be Flip Oakes Wild Thing instruments among my most prized possessions.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September 15, 2009, was my first "Wild Thing" experience. These past five years has been my best five years of playing the trumpet. This trumpet still calls me to get it out and play it, and I heed the calling almost daily. Thanks Flip!
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, a Special Thank You to all who replied !!

Flip Oakes
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm a bit late to the party here, but I would still like to add: not only is the WT I purchased new from Flip last February the absolute best horn I have EVER played, but Flip is a true gentleman and great guy to do business with.

Thank you Flip!!

Brad
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the AZ Classic Jazz Festival early November and had the privilege of listening to Flip and the Titan Seven, all I can say is that I loved the sound he was getting out of that horn! May take me awhile, but I am in line for one of those!

Rick Peron - wildcatjazz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: