• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CarolBrass piccolo trumpet a viable proffesional option?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: CarolBrass piccolo trumpet a viable proffesional option? Reply with quote

I am hoping to get a new picc next year, and am caught in between getting a Schilke p5-4 or getting something less expensive for now until I tour the world playing piccolo trumpet(hahaha). CarolBrass is on my radar.

Any and all experience with any of the CB piccs is appreciated, especially with how they compare to the big hitter piccs(selmer, kanstul, stomvi, schilke.)
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just save up and get a top of the line one (Schilke or Yamaha or something like that). Don't cheap out on a piccolo...you won't want to.
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the Carol Brass piccolo trumpets are really fine instruments and the best at their price point. At less than half the price of a Yamaha 9835 or P5-4 they should be considered by anyone wanting a fair value.

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert Picc player by any means but I wanted something that I knew would be well made but not cost me an arm and a leg. I considered getting a horn from Dillon Music but I was able to spend time with one this past Easter and while it was a nice horn, I felt like I'd end up fighting the horn while trying to learn how to play it. So I just decided to go ahead and spend the money and get a higher quality horn that wouldn't break the bank. The CB picc that I have is definitely a higher quality build than that Dillon horn and the intonation is solid. While my picc playing is still a process, I feel more comfortable with it.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a lot of it depends on your needs, and how much use you're really going to get out of it, I think there is some truth in what loudog said. However, the ideal situation for you might lie somewhere in between. You don't have to buy it brand new. It looks like a brand new Carol picc will be in the 1700-1800ish range. So instead of spending 3500 or more on a new Schilke or Yamaha, you can probably find a used one in the 2000-2500 range. So you end up spending a little bit more, but you get a much bigger bang for your buck. I bought my Yamaha custom piccolo used for $2k back in oh, 2009 or so, and haven't felt the need to replace it yet.
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of buying used until I dial in EXACTLY what I want - much like I did with the horn in my signature.

If I go the used Schilke route I am looking at spending no less than 2400 - because that seems to be where the used market is priced for them. So basically I am wondering what I could get spending half of that, as Yamahas and Kanstuls are here and there - and the CarolBrass instruments. 2400 is just about a new kanstul anyways.... Ugg.

I have been at that crossroads 'no half measures, get the best damn horn' or 'merely save bit and get something good that wont hold you back professionally and as a player' for quite some time.

I am slightly leaning towards biting the bullet and going for it. Having industry standard equipment is important, and I wouldn't regret having and enjoying the best picc I could buy...

Thanks for the input guys.
deleted_user_1dac1c5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love mine. Incredible valves, and a really and truly fantastic sound in the upper register. I don't think it feels as good as a Schilke per se, but it's an amazing horn.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CarolBrass picc and regard it as a good value, as well as being a very usable picc. It's not a Selmer or a Schilke, but it's probably more than good enough for anyone who doesn't play picc a considerable part of the time. It's right in the middle of my personal piccolo trumpet collection: a Maestro that's not fit for making into a lamp but was a cheap way for me to confirm what everyone else says about never buying a cheap picc, the CarolBrass (primary problem with it is that I haven't put in enough time to dial in the exact mouthpiece(s) to use with it and don't care for the ones supplied), and a Calicchio (A only, but with original as well as a pair of Blackburn leadpipes, it really does the job). I could wish that the price of the CarolBrass had been closer to that of the Maestro than that of the Calicchio, but it's still probably worth the price.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Kanstul used picc for a out $1K. I think it's a reasonable choice. I've played Schilkes that I think play better and I've played Schilkes I think play worse.

I REALLY like the Yamahas particularly the 3+1 and the long-bell but they are never cheap.

I've heard a few guy on short model Selmers and even Getzens that sounded great. Those are certain to be less costly.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for what it's worth, I had a buddy with a Benge short bell picc that he could really make sound great. He owned one of those and a Schilke and preferred the Benge.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

even Getzens that sounded great.

Ouch. I'll have to work on what people expect from us...
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
and even Getzens that sounded great.

Safe to assume you mean the Eterna one? Having owned an Eterna piccolo form the mid 70's I can say the blow and sound were great, but the tuning was a little wacky. I can also say the newer ones I've tried at conferences of that model and the custom model are much improved than my old '75 Eterna picc
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Ha! You have a good sense of humor which is fantasic from a member of the industry.

You have to be aware, though, that Getzen piccs have a reputation as a great value horn which can serve very ably for many or as a starter horn for those just beginning to explore the picc.

I found the older Getzen piccs to be fine horns, esp with a Blackburn pipe added. I really think you all did well when you started including them.

For me, I started with a used Selmer and really haven't looked much at anything else.

But if Getzen puts out a picc -- or any trumpet/cornet -- with the same attention to detail that you all put into the development of your newest flugel, I would definitely seek it out.

-- Joe
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Carol Pic! (from Austin Custom Brass) I prefer the blow, sound and intonation to the P5-4 that I had before. (maybe I had a dud)

It actually matches my sound concept better than the Schilke did. It sounds more Selmer-ish which I prefer. In fact I've gotten more compliments on my pic playing since switching to this from the Schilke.

You have lots of leadpipe and weighting options which can be a bit daunting at first. I've wound up using the cornet shank leadpipe (with a Warbuton 6S, 10* cornet backbore) with a heavy cap and button on the 4th valve only.

Its a good deal and not a lamp! IMO its a very good option and more than worth the price!

Michelle Kingston
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Ha! You have a good sense of humor which is fantasic from a member of the industry.

+1

cjl wrote:

But if Getzen puts out a picc -- or any trumpet/cornet -- with the same attention to detail that you all put into the development of your newest flugel, I would definitely seek it out.

-- Joe

Ahem. I recently had an extensive (ALL day) tour of both the factory and the new line of high brass Getzen is putting out. You seem to be already familiar with the fact that their new Fl is drool-worthy, which was the stated object of my visit. I also played not 1 but 2 piccs as well as a Bb which are all in development but slated for the same level of "attention to detail" as their new Fl, and I am utterly convinced these will all be winners that do what they are designed to do. (Which is to say blow away everything else on the market, or at the very least the mass produced market)

I just want to be careful not to over-state their current % of development, so if somebody needs one of these horns for a performance in August I think Getzen would be uncomfortable guaranteeing they would be ready by that time. Knock on wood there will be no hold-ups bringing these to market but like Paul Mason ... it'll be worth the wait. I do think Getzen will be raising the bar; not just from what is normally associated with their own name, but re: what can be expected from a brass instrument. And that's really saying something because other makers (including Bach!) have seriously upped their game.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:
cheiden wrote:

You have to be aware, though, that Getzen piccs have a reputation as a great value horn which can serve very ably for many or as a starter horn for those just beginning to explore the picc.

I found the older Getzen piccs to be fine horns, esp with a Blackburn pipe added. I really think you all did well when you started including them.

For me, I started with a used Selmer and really haven't looked much at anything else.

-- Joe

The standards we held ourselves to on the 4895 will be the same that we use with any future Custom Reserve project. I know now what we are capable of and want to impress not just our loyal customers but our skeptics too.

The be all end all for me is every time "What's the best flugel/picc/trumpet/cornet you've played?" The answer is always "besides a Getzen." Not "best value" or "nicest valves", just "THE BEST".
Trumpetmannj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a selmer signet, getzen, and benge piccolo. The signet was horrible, the getzen was less horrible and the benge was sort of playable. I'm more of a doubler on pic and mostly used it 8 bars at a time on Broadway shows and playing Easter and wedding gigs. Everytime I had to play it I was wondering what was going to happen. One day an old friend who quit playing gave me a kanstul 920. Now I like to practice the pic, I get more calls to play it and I don't suck anymore. The moral is buy a good pic and you have less chance of sucking on it...
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picc is my go to horn and I've played the same Schilke P5-4 since 1986. Some people talk about them being very bright. I think that is in how you approach the horn and the mouthpiece selection. Trent has heard me play picc on a gig and I don't think he would describe my playing as too bright.

Having said that, for people looking to buy their first picc - I often try to give them options because the Schilke price is substantial. If they have the money and really want a Schilke, Yamaha, Scherzer, etc. then I tell them to go for it. But, money is usually an issue so for half the price of one of those horns, you can get a very nice new Carol Brass picc that looks good, sounds good, and has a nice even scale. If new isn't important to you, then a used Yamaha or Getzen can be a very good value. I particularly like the price/performance of used Getzen 940 models
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:

The be all end all for me is every time "What's the best flugel/picc/trumpet/cornet you've played?" The answer is always "besides a Getzen." Not "best value" or "nicest valves", just "THE BEST".

American made and proud

So what is this thing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD6n81CWwJA

Starting about 3:15 Adam plays a picc that looks a bit like one of your prototypes, (the one I preferred, actually) but this must've been before you guys built it, right?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:

Having said that, for people looking to buy their first picc - I often try to give them options ...

... a very nice new Carol Brass picc that looks good, sounds good, and has a nice even scale. If new isn't important to you, then a used Yamaha or Getzen can be a very good value. I particularly like the price/performance of used Getzen 940 models

So you're a Schilke guy, and picc is your primary tool. Can you compare these two less expensive models? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: